[Invisible Sun] $100 PDF

Basilides

Validated User
I have been quite interested in this game. But the price is far to high. And the more I read about it I just feel it might be to surreal and to much "fantasy" to my liking. I love the strange worlds, the reality beyond our own. But I like it on a level that is more contained like the setting in KULT: Divinity Lost or World of Darkness. So that, and the hefty price tag makes me say no. But if it would be like 50 USD I'd probably give it a look.

Reynard

Validated User
Some items from DTRPG that cost a similar amount:

The WOIN EONs collection: 94 article length supplements and adventures for WOIN.
The Alpha version of War of the Shadow from Pendelhaven
The Star Trek Adventures PDF Collection, including 9 books total (not all released yet)
List Compendium Vol 1, a giant collection of random tables
The Slumbering Tsar saga from Frog God Games
Dungeonlord's Ultimate Resource Bundle, which seems to be more tables and stuff
Zeitgeist (4E or PF) Adventure Path Subscription

Honestly, looking at that list, with the exception of maybe the Star Trek collection, Invisible Sun looks like quite the bargain compared to similarly priced items.

Menchi

Validated User
I have been quite interested in this game. But the price is far to high. And the more I read about it I just feel it might be to surreal and to much "fantasy" to my liking. I love the strange worlds, the reality beyond our own. But I like it on a level that is more contained like the setting in KULT: Divinity Lost or World of Darkness. So that, and the hefty price tag makes me say no. But if it would be like 50 USD I'd probably give it a look.
Yeah. It’s a very surreal game with multiple dimensions in play in a way that is more mind bending than Kult’s more straight forward layers of reality in comparison.

There’s horror in Invisible Sun, but it tends to lean more on the side of whimsy.

Conan

Cam Banks

Kiwi Game Designer
Validated User
From what I've been able to make out, Invisible Sun is like Amber meets Mage the Ascension.

Cheers,
Cam

Zed

in Berkeley, California (he/him)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it's clear enough that MCG set out to make the biggest most deluxe RPG box set ever, knowing that it would be the most expensive box set ever and embracing that as part of its brand distinction and for the notoriety and publicity that would come from a kickstarter with an enormous dollar figure. Having done that, the prices don't seem like outliers for the quantity/quality; it's just a bigger bundle than most, making for a much bigger minimum buy-in than most games'.

There are still lots of free and cheap options to choose from.

Adam

Posthuman
Validated User
Sure feels like you are calling those of us who are poor and do not have a lot of spending money entitled and disrespectful now. But I've been getting that vibe a lot here lately from many folks. Including Greg Stolze earlier up thread who quoted something I said and made a joke of it.
Knowing Greg, he was making a joke at himself — he's never met a book in his life that isn't still in his giant library. (Look at any pic of Greg in his house, there are books behind him!)

As I said on twitter regarding some of the price discussions that have been going on here and elsewhere recently: "This thing costs too much for me." is a complete statement. Nobody needs to justify why they can't afford a leisure item. But at the same time, the price of that item may be perfectly right, both for the expenses in creating the project, and the goals of the company.

I've said this to people who are confused that we license Eclipse Phase under a Creative Commons license _and_ sell it: can you afford what we're asking? Then buy it. If you can't, then grab it somewhere for free. If you like and can afford it down the road, buy it.

Paul Watson

Validated User
Invisible Sun is neither urban fantasy nor traditional fantasy. It's pure surreal fantasy. It's a game of the Golden Dawn hanging out in Parisian cafes where the coffee is made from emotions mined from the crystal depths of an alternate reality, where Alastair Crowley has an Ibis head, and Marlene Dietrich's songs cause people to have vivid hallucinations of flaming angels falling from the sky, and the singer in the nightclub is a human shaped gathering of silver charms. After taking shelter from a storm of falling keys, the PCs may decide to go to a bar to debate the finer points of using a demon's heart to power their car or not while a school of translucent fish swim by.

If the idea of a game about studious gentlefolk explorers living in a surreal art nouveau city recovering from a reality shattering war appeals to you - then Invisible Sun might be worth a look. It's not Kult. It's not Unknown Armies - you're not visiting Earth modern era. That's all just a faded dream. You're living in a world where the internet is literally tapping into the collective subconscious of the world. Where sentient human shaped portals stand on street corners handing out newspapers.
Daaaaamn. That's the best summary I've seen. Would it be alright if I quoted this elsewhere, with attribution?

Gaglug

Validated User
Considering Invisible Sun has shot right to the #1 spot on DTRPG's sales charts, I'd say more than a few people considered there to be enough value to spring for the product. How long it stays there, well that remains to be seen.

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
FTR, since Unshaven brought up this in a customarily eloquent manner, I 100% support creatives getting a decent pay for their work. The fact that so many people can´t rightly afford to pay prices that assumes anything close to this is a huge problem, no question, but not one that is better solved by making writers and artists work for shit pay and devaluing their hard work.

How to actually solve it is a big, political question. Some creatives have gone to the forefront of offering sharply reduced prices for prospective buyers who are poor, which is a band-aid solution but an extremely sympathetic one; I think I would like to go that way myself while still working politically to, you know, make sure that people live abov the fucking poverty line.

Last edited:
Top Bottom