[Invisible Sun] $100 PDF

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
Considering Invisible Sun has shot right to the #1 spot on DTRPG's sales charts, I'd say more than a few people considered there to be enough value to spring for the product. How long it stays there, well that remains to be seen.
I wonder is sales based on number sold or amount of money generated, or something accounting for both.

Alex_P

the cat respecter
Validated User
embracing that as part of its brand distinction
I mean, that's the root of this conversation, right? "This is expensive! It's deluxe!" is big part of the branding and messaging in addition to just the raw economics of publishing this thing.

jimthegray

Validated User
I think it's clear enough that MCG set out to make the biggest most deluxe RPG box set ever, knowing that it would be the most expensive box set ever and embracing that as part of its brand distinction and for the notoriety and publicity that would come from a kickstarter with an enormous dollar figure. Having done that, the prices don't seem like outliers for the quantity/quality; it's just a bigger bundle than most, making for a much bigger minimum buy-in than most games'.

There are still lots of free and cheap options to choose from.
Have you seen the platinum d&d boxes....honestly the "less" expensive one for saltmarsh I may save up and buy

Iozz-Sothoth

Come see the violence inherent in the system etc.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sure feels like you are calling those of us who are poor and do not have a lot of spending money entitled and disrespectful now. But I've been getting that vibe a lot here lately from many folks. Including Greg Stolze earlier up thread who quoted something I said and made a joke of it.

Moderator Text:

Cool it, please.

Gaglug

Validated User
I think it's clear enough that MCG set out to make the biggest most deluxe RPG box set ever, knowing that it would be the most expensive box set ever and embracing that as part of its brand distinction and for the notoriety and publicity that would come from a kickstarter with an enormous dollar figure. Having done that, the prices don't seem like outliers for the quantity/quality; it's just a bigger bundle than most, making for a much bigger minimum buy-in than most games'.

There are still lots of free and cheap options to choose from.
Your statement is not even remotely close to accurate on what Monte was doing. It's not even close to the most deluxe RPG box set ever. Beadle and Grimm made a deluxe box set out of a D&D adventure (not even a ruleset, just the Dragon Heist adventure) and it was a $500 box. They're also doing a much cheaper Saltmarsh adventure box for $175 which looks interesting to me.

And also keep in mind there's plenty of other premium options and accessories that gamers with money can buy. You can roll your dice on the table like just about everyone else. Or you can get a custom rare hardwood die tray to roll in. I suggest the $285 black ebony die tray from Wyrmwood, though honestly I prefer the look of my Bolivian Rosewood tray for about half the price of that one. After watching Wyrmwood's latest video of how they made Matt Mercer's custom DM screen, I'd be ready to buy in and get one of those regardless of what it cost.

So a $250 price point for a full 4 book RPG along with various included gaming cards and other bits pales in comparison to what other premium offerings are out there for either single adventures or just nice individual gaming accessories.

Menchi

Validated User
I think there was a definite "premium game product" goal but it wasn't ever going to be the deluxiest deluxe that ever deluxed.

There was a definite intention to create something tactile and intriguing. And there are a load of extra deluxe kickstarter bonuses from metal keys, to medallions, right through to an expensive hand crafted box version of the game.

Conan

Reynard

Validated User
Now I want to know what the most expensive prestige RPG is. The Modiphius Borg Cube runs $600. Anything more than that?

Adam

Posthuman
Validated User
I wonder is sales based on number sold or amount of money generated, or something accounting for both.
It's based on dollars; that's why there's a distinct list for titles that sell for under $5, because otherwise they'd have a really hard time clawing their way onto the main chart!

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I dislike that "wow, this seems expensive" and "RPG creators don't get paid enough" have been conflated here, since both can be true statements without either affecting other, and both are, in their way.

RPG PDFs suffer from the app store problem where it is far better to sell three times as many at half the price, but not every work is going to sell enough to make that now-expected price worthwhile. Basic Econ 101 stuff. But even that isn't the whole story, since a good number of folks are doing for-hire work, not royalties, and how much it sells is largely only material to if they get asked to write or art again.

On the flip side, even as a bundle $100 is a hell of a lot to invest, sight unseen, into an RPG and being told you will probably have to spend yet more to play it is going to discourage people. But that is not the same as saying it is an unfair price, either.

Top Bottom