• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ion Fury - game looks awesome, shame about the devs?

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User

So, um. Yeah. That apparently happened.

It looks like I might end up having to take a rain check on my most awaited game this year to avoid supporting a bunch of assholes. Which is frustrating as all hell, of course. So if somebody has evidence that somehow puts their comments in a completely different light or something - like, I dunno, demonic possession or sabotage by dimension-swapping evil clones or something - please pass it my way, would you kindly?

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Once again, Iron Maiden's skull-adorned axe is retroactively proven to have struck true.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
I'm not down with transphobia or regressive rhetoric, but this is not my type of game - so easy pass for me.

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out in the end.

Max

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Once again, Iron Maiden's skull-adorned axe is retroactively proven to have struck true.
Er. Are you saying they knew about the devs being assholes and that's why they sued? 'Cos otherwise I don't see it.

PS. Just to be clear, I fucking love Iron Maiden but, like everyone else, sometimes they can be petty assholes and I felt that lawsuit was definitely one of those times.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Looks like there's an official apology out: https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/08/19/after-transphobic-comments-spark-controversy-ion-fury-developers-apologize-for-employee

"Members of Voidpoint’s Ion Fury team have made sexist and transphobic comments, and included homophobic language in Ion Fury," the statement sent to Game Informer reads. "We recognize these statements are insensitive, unacceptable, and counterproductive to causes of equality. We unequivocally apologize both for these comments and language as well as for any pain they have caused the gaming community, particularly women and members of the LGBTQ community. We take full responsibility for any damage that has been done to the relationships we've worked so hard to build.

"Moving forward, Voidpoint will institute a zero-tolerance policy for this type of language and all employees and contractors will undergo mandatory sensitivity training. As part of our efforts to contribute to the work that must be done to further support these communities, we are donating $10,000 from Ion Fury's release day proceeds to The Trevor Project. We are also patching Ion Fury ASAP to remove all unacceptable language."

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wish I could believe that apology, because Ion Fury was something I was genuinely looking forward to playing, but coming as it does on the heels of a whole lot of specious nonsense about "missing context", it's none too convincing (also: there is no context that makes transphobia OK. None.). I think I will still pass on the game.

Max

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wish I could believe that apology, because Ion Fury was something I was genuinely looking forward to playing, but coming as it does on the heels of a whole lot of specious nonsense about "missing context", it's none too convincing (also: there is no context that makes transphobia OK. None.). I think I will still pass on the game.
At the least, I'm in no hurry to buy it right away. The donation is a nice big gesture, to be sure, an actual public apology even bigger in many ways, but what really matters is how they manage to conduct themselves in practice from now on.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's not nothing, apologywise. Pretty good on the admission part, and a reasonable plan on the making it right part. We'll see if they actually *do the thing* I suppose. I do hope they manage to make good and be less shit. That's always what I hope. Does it actually happen? Sometimes.

It'll also probably burn the chuds up a bit, which will be funny.

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
It conveys the impression that an outside adult stepped in to take the right decision, but wasn't involved in any of the previous shitshow (and thus how the studio actually runs).

Top Bottom