• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ion Fury - game looks awesome, shame about the devs?

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It conveys the impression that an outside adult stepped in to take the right decision, but wasn't involved in any of the previous shitshow (and thus how the studio actually runs).
It kinda has that tone to it, but then, that's how we generally assume kids learn to adult, so hey...

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
I haven't even looked at this game's marketing at all or anything but I note the not in the apology about the language in-game? And it makes me wonder if there is anything bad there... If so I'd have thought the time to fix that was when they were writing the game in the first place, you know? :(

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
It kinda has that tone to it, but then, that's how we generally assume kids learn to adult, so hey...
I rather doubt that they and I currently share a definition of adulthood. And there certainly are a shitload of communities that encourage them to think that behaving like a hateful child is being a real man.

But while I'm not optimistic about sensitivity training, it could work. Depending on the quality of the consultant(s) and the studio culture.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
I haven't even looked at this game's marketing at all or anything but I note the not in the apology about the language in-game? And it makes me wonder if there is anything bad there... If so I'd have thought the time to fix that was when they were writing the game in the first place, you know? :(
Here's some questionable content found by people on resetera. The article says it's gonna get patched out, though?

It seems to be mostly stuff hidden in the background though, so it easily slips through the cracks

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
I wish I could believe that apology, because Ion Fury was something I was genuinely looking forward to playing, but coming as it does on the heels of a whole lot of specious nonsense about "missing context", it's none too convincing (also: there is no context that makes transphobia OK. None.). I think I will still pass on the game.
I love the "out of context" argument, because without an actual description and explanation of the supposedly missing context, it's just empty waffle.

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's pretty amazing to me how they started out totally excusing their devs' comments, criticized people for taking them out of context, and not-quite-accused them of photomanipulation...

...right up until the in-game stuff came out, and then suddenly they totally changed their tone and fell all over themselves apologizing.

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I love the "out of context" argument, because without an actual description and explanation of the supposedly missing context, it's just empty waffle.
How do you mean? Each of those posts seems entirely plain and clear even in its own right to me, and putting them in context doesn't seem to make any difference in their meaning or clarity.

Last edited:

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
How do you mean? Each of those posts seems entirely plain and clear even in its own right to me, and putting them in context doesn't seem to make any difference in their meaning or clarity.
The developers claimed the quotes were out of context, which even if there is a context which justifies them (there almost certainly isn't) you're kind of going to need to provide said context for other people to take that claim as anything but empty deflection.

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
The developers claimed the quotes were out of context, which even if there is a context which justifies them (there almost certainly isn't) you're kind of going to need to provide said context for other people to take that claim as anything but empty deflection.
This, exactly. It's not the first time I've seen people caught with their pants down trying to claim it's been taken out of context without actually providing the context that they think would have justified it, and probably won't be the last.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
It's pretty amazing to me how they started out totally excusing their devs' comments, criticized people for taking them out of context, and not-quite-accused them of photomanipulation...

...right up until the in-game stuff came out, and then suddenly they totally changed their tone and fell all over themselves apologizing.

My guess is that one of two scenarios happened:

1) The situation got escalated up to someone who understood the implications and likely endpoints of the current trajectory and they said "yeah, no. We gotta fix this" and they laid down the law in unequivocal terms to the people who were responsible for the previous responses.

2) The decision making people who had previously gone with the "protect our devs" and general waffling sat down collectively, looked at the evidence, and thought things through. This led them to realize that they were not going down a good path (having crusty lead devs expounding their personal politics on the company platforms is generally a high risk move), so they decided to take action and lay down the law.

Top Bottom