• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ion Fury - game looks awesome, shame about the devs?

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The developers claimed the quotes were out of context, which even if there is a context which justifies them (there almost certainly isn't) you're kind of going to need to provide said context for other people to take that claim as anything but empty deflection.
This, exactly. It's not the first time I've seen people caught with their pants down trying to claim it's been taken out of context without actually providing the context that they think would have justified it, and probably won't be the last.
Oh, right! Sorry, I entirely misread your post.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
That's not nothing, apologywise. Pretty good on the admission part, and a reasonable plan on the making it right part. We'll see if they actually *do the thing* I suppose. I do hope they manage to make good and be less shit. That's always what I hope. Does it actually happen? Sometimes.

It'll also probably burn the chuds up a bit, which will be funny.
That's what I'm saying. It has an apology, without any 'sorry you were offended' but a proper apology, and a sizeable donation along with it, and sensitivity training(which more places should have anyway?) That seems substantial, it just seems like it needs to be followed up on.

I mean I'll be honest I'm not sure what people *want* in an apology(I'm not saying this to be a smartass, but I'm starting to wonder what an apology needs, especially when it comes with extra things that aren't nothing.) I can completely understand not wanting the 'non apologies' ('sorry you were offended!'), but when a company actually, like, apologizes for real AND does other stuff along with it(a somewhat sizeable donation along with bonus sensitivity training which, again, I think more devs should have now) that doesn't sound like BS to me. BS would be the classic 'sorry you got offended' and that's it, I think.

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
People have a right to reject an apology, no matter how sincere. This is true in personal relationships; it's certainly true vs a company selling a game.

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
People have a right to reject an apology, no matter how sincere. This is true in personal relationships; it's certainly true vs a company selling a game.
"We may have repeatedly insulted youse guys, but now we have sincerely apologised, and if you don't accept that apology you're just being uppity b*tches" is certainly a thing that happens though.

If the insults came due to an incapacity to understand that people-not-like-me are real persons, it's in fact the most likely chain of events.

But in the case of Ion Maiden Fury, my impression is that this apology is going to hurt their sales. Which does add weight to it.

Solarn

Validated User
That's what I'm saying. It has an apology, without any 'sorry you were offended' but a proper apology, and a sizeable donation along with it, and sensitivity training(which more places should have anyway?) That seems substantial, it just seems like it needs to be followed up on.

I mean I'll be honest I'm not sure what people *want* in an apology(I'm not saying this to be a smartass, but I'm starting to wonder what an apology needs, especially when it comes with extra things that aren't nothing.) I can completely understand not wanting the 'non apologies' ('sorry you were offended!'), but when a company actually, like, apologizes for real AND does other stuff along with it(a somewhat sizeable donation along with bonus sensitivity training which, again, I think more devs should have now) that doesn't sound like BS to me. BS would be the classic 'sorry you got offended' and that's it, I think.
What I want in an apology is sincerity. The timing of this one (closing ranks around the dev who made the gross statements and only relenting when indisputable proof of homophobic text in-game was published) makes it sound like rather than actually caring about the fuckup and wanting to do better, the corporate ass-coverers in charge of PR just learned how to compose an apology message without sounding pathetically desperate to exonerate themselves.

Like, I don't care about donations and sensitivity trainings. What I want is for this thing not to happen, and nothing about the sequence of events here makes me think that it won't.

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Like, I don't care about donations and sensitivity trainings. What I want is for this thing not to happen, and nothing about the sequence of events here makes me think that it won't.
Some form of sensitivity training is the main way for this not to happen, though. What other options are there ?

Solarn

Validated User
Some form of sensitivity training is the main way for this not to happen, though. What other options are there ?
Sensitivity training is for people who simply don't know better. What's sensitivity training gonna do for a guy like the dev who made those posts or put those images in the game, magic the hate out of him?

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sensitivity training is for people who simply don't know better. What's sensitivity training gonna do for a guy like the dev who made those posts or put those images in the game, magic the hate out of him?
Depends entirely on what the "sensitivity training" actually consists of. Exposure breeds tolerance; IMO the best courses of this nature rely heavily on actual discussions with a variety of people, while the stereotypical "Prejudice is bad, mmkay?" lecturing by some consulting rando probably just makes things worse.

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Education and dialogue have a pretty good success rate, actually. Especially since these blokes had the "I don't understand these people, therefore they are stupid and bad an I know better bro lol" vibe. And there are good odds even with people way more hardcore than this.

Now, a lot of sensitivity training engagements are bullshit. They are intended for corporate arse-covering panto, so there's little incentive at success. But some of it is good. And since the vibe is that a previously uninvolved higher-up came in to adult things up, having proper training seems on the table.

Agamemnon2

Validated User
I'd probably go further and say that an apology and an empty sack are worth the sack. The devs in question cannot undo what they've done, nor can they un-be terrible people

Top Bottom