• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ion Fury - game looks awesome, shame about the devs?

Max

A dapper chap without a doubt
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think even an insincere public apology is a good thing. It's now part of the discussion that a company apologized for and took steps to remedy and improve the behavior of its public-facing employees. Even if this was nothing more than corporate ass-covering, it still serves to promote and normalize positive things.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Education and dialogue have a pretty good success rate, actually. Especially since these blokes had the "I don't understand these people, therefore they are stupid and bad an I know better bro lol" vibe. And there are good odds even with people way more hardcore than this.

Now, a lot of sensitivity training engagements are bullshit. They are intended for corporate arse-covering panto, so there's little incentive at success. But some of it is good. And since the vibe is that a previously uninvolved higher-up came in to adult things up, having proper training seems on the table.
I do think its about learning. In the 90s, despite being like, pro gay marriage and in the military and all of that(discussions at the time among the younger folks, I was in high school, so old enough to know being mean is bad but still not too educated), I would use the term 'gay' as slang. A lot of people did(doesn't make it right.) When I learned it was hurtful(a buddy of mine ended up coming out not long after-they too had also done it until learning), and then I stopped, because I learned. Myself and a lot of my friends said some shitty things in our late teens and early 90s(late 90s and early 2000s), and we've all become, in that time, better people through education.

Hell, it took me quite awhile to un-learn ableist slang-same for buddies of mine(even PoC, LGBT buddies who have had slurs said to them themselves.) Ableist slang had sadly hung on for awhile but then we got out of that because hey, we realized 'this is uncool' over time, through learning and education. (It really hit me when I had a little cousin born with Down's, and I started to become more educated on such things, including some more under-the-radar ableist slang that doesn't sound like it at first.)

I think there is absolutely room for people to learn and change. Now, whether or not they *do* is up to a 'time will tell' thing.

(I do agree that some sensitivity training is pretty silly; like straight up 'Corporate 'Trainer' who really doesn't have a clue but just comes in and lectures with a whiteboard for an hour' stuff, but there is some that is legit, and does help.)

I definitely don't think people HAVE to accept apologies or anything but I am saying that change can, and does, happen.

I'd probably go further and say that an apology and an empty sack are worth the sack. The devs in question cannot undo what they've done, nor can they un-be terrible people
I would *like* to think that I've learned to be a better person over my past stupid actions. I mean sure I can't turn back the clock and erase stupid things I've said in the 90s/early 00s but I would like to think that learning things and trying to help others learn things have helped over time and that I won't be considered the same person I was then.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
From my POV that was a good apology as apologies go. That doesn't mean anyone has to accept it, of course. But it does, I think, indicate that the company in question recognizes there's a problem and that the onus is on them to make sure it doesn't manifest itself again. That seems a reasonable basis for trying make things better by that particular company. Whether trying to make things better is sufficient for people who have been hurt by this - or by the people who want to be supportive of those who've been hurt - is a different thing. Because yeah, sometimes an apology is not enough, however sincere it may be.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
I've had this game for quite a while (nearly a year, if I remember when it went early access correctly) and noticed the Ogay bottle in the demo campaign. To be honest I didn't really bat an eyelash at it, because its a fairly obvious joke to make and probably would have made it into a game back in 1996. I think when I first saw it I thought to myself "Someone's going to yell at them about that" and was mildly surprised it made it into the final release.

Please don't read that as me trying to defend it. I'm just not surprised. I also admit to being a Boston boy still trying to scrub "retarded" from his vernacular, so I'm not flawless.

The room you have to noclip to, that's just gross on every level.

The whole thing is a damn shame because I was glued to the game for days after its release. It's really, really good and I hope people will be talking about that aspect after this junk gets patched out.

Also, last night I saw that on Steam someone made a guide for how to back-up your game and avoid mandatory patching. Several comments were saying thanks, but one did call them out on how pathetic the whole thing was.

AlphaWhelp

Shark Aficionado
Validated User
Well a corporate apology is always going to sound insincere because despite what the supreme Court says a corporation is not a person and cannot actually apologize. The actual person making the apology is rarely the person who made the offense and is sometimes not even the person who wrote the apology in the first place.

That said the reactions that some of the people are having to the apology are kind of head scratchers. "I used to love this game until they patched out the f word on a background object" is easily one of the most ridiculous opinions I've ever read about a game.

Top Bottom