• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[iPad] DiceBook: A PDF viewer with dice roller!

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
Yay, it's out! My friend David Dunham, known to some here for his work on PenDragon Pass and with Moon Design (he was the project wrangler for HeroQuest 2nd edition), has released DiceBook, his iPad PDF viewer with built-in dice roller.

I've done a review with screenshots over at LiveJournal. The short form is that it doesn't yet support the full panoply of dice possibilities, but what it does, it does really well, and I recommend it highly to folks whose needs it now covers.

Specific shortcomings right now include mixed dice types (like d12 + d10 + d6), dice pools of 7 dice or more, and keep-and-reroll setups. On the other hand, it's got Fudge dice and some other fun stuff in there from the get-go. Good stuff.

Nojh

Retired User
Looks cool. I'm still a fan of physical dice and character sheets though but I may pick it up. The feature that would for sure make me buy it would be a mark up feature thatnwould let me write/type/draw on the PDF. Goodreader claims to be working on this but if this app had that AND a dice roller, totally sold.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
One of the reviews on the app store says it's an awful PDF reader. This scares me.

I have excellent, separate apps for both but a combo app would be nice. What makes the PDF reader lame?

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
One of the reviews on the app store says it's an awful PDF reader. This scares me.

I have excellent, separate apps for both but a combo app would be nice. What makes the PDF reader lame?
I genuinely don't know what that negative reviewer was on about. The PDF reader does have one significant weakness: it doesn't yet recognize existing bookmarks in a file. David's apparently looking into that for the future. Apart from that...beats me. It loads. It shows stuff. It's about as fast as Goodreader in rendering complex pages (faster in a few cases, slower in a few, usually close enough that I don't feel a difference). You can zoom in and move around, and make your own bookmarks. *shrug* I don't get the complaint.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
I genuinely don't know what that negative reviewer was on about. The PDF reader does have one significant weakness: it doesn't yet recognize existing bookmarks in a file. David's apparently looking into that for the future. Apart from that...beats me. It loads. It shows stuff. It's about as fast as Goodreader in rendering complex pages (faster in a few cases, slower in a few, usually close enough that I don't feel a difference). You can zoom in and move around, and make your own bookmarks. *shrug* I don't get the complaint.
Good to hear - I'll buy it and post my opinion here.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
Okay, purchased.

I think it's a solid app that handles big and graphics heavy rpgs; page turning is relatively quick and comparable to Good Reader. Dice rolling is easily accomplished.

Page turning is bit clunkier (screen redraws in horizontal bits) than Good Reader, and navigation of big pdfs leaves a lot to be desired (i can't easily go to another page without taping a button, entering a number and go...vs. Good Reader where I'm simply dragging a marker along to the pg # I want).

I think an update or two that will make navigation easier would be great.

Overall, I recommend GMs stick with Good Reader as it's really superior at what it does at the game table (navigate big books). However, I think DiceBook is a fine app for players who may not need full rulebook navigation to the extent the GM does. Plus, the dice roller built in works just fine and it's nice not having to leave the pdf to roll your fate.

Top Bottom