• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ironport-Splintertown - building an Eberron campaign home base

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
I don't know if this helps, but I always felt Meenlocs were a great degenerate race. Perhaps pre-goblin, with a curse on them from aggravating the goblins when the goblin civilisation was ascending, and the meenloc civilisation was declining?
Hmmm... at first I was skeptical, since their writeup in Volo's Guide reminds me more of "fey zombie apocalypse" (their numbers increase exponentially as they convert more and more of their victims) than "long-lost civilization".

Still... maybe the first meenlock got started when goblins beseeched the fey courts of Thelanis for revenge against the invading humans, and got their wish... sort of. They spread rapidly across the land, consuming the humans and depopulating the entire Wayward Coast region. But then they were starved of food, though a few of them managed to enter hibernation and wait for the day when there would be enough food once more...

Such "meenlock mounds" might dot the landscape, for adventurers to stumble across.

Mr Teufel

Dashing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like what you've done with them.

What I was going for, though, was an attempt at hinting at deep time, by showing there were civilisations even before the Goblins.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Well, I'm not sure if I had mentioned this before, but I was going to add a secret enclave of storm giants who fled to Tempest Island shortly before the Xen'drik cataclysm and hid there. They are dead now (if not exactly gone, in some cases) and they largely stuck to Tempest Island in any case, but their works there remain. Basically, I envision Tempest Island as a cross between Isle of Dread/Skull Island for high-level characters (don't go there if you aren't at least level 10...).

But that won't work for the mainland. Perhaps... considering that there have been several major planar invasions of Eberron, maybe there was a smaller, localized invasion of the Wayward Coast region by Thelanis?

I think it is appropriate that the fey of Thelanis reflect the inhabitants of Eberron to some degree - thus, the eladrin of the Feyspires reflect the elves of Eberron, and there are plenty of humanoid fey these days. But this is a process that took tens of thousands of years. Thus, the fey of this early incursion - which presumably preyed on the proto-orcs and -goblins of Khorvaire - would have looked a lot more inhuman than the fey of today. If I was using Pathfinder I would pick the lurkers-in-light for this. So, what are some suitably alien fey from D&D lore?

NeoVid

Nerd Rage Never Fades
Validated User
The first thing to come to mind is fomorians, who are warped fey reflections of giants. Considering how important giants were in the setting's history, your idea of fey versions of the dominant races of each era seems perfect.

Also, I should have said before that I'm following this thread avidly, because it's amazing.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
The first thing to come to mind is fomorians, who are warped fey reflections of giants. Considering how important giants were in the setting's history, your idea of fey versions of the dominant races of each era seems perfect.
Fomorians! That's perfect - very thematically appropriate for the Age of Giants. Also, weren't they driven away by the Tuatha De Danaan in Irish mythology? In Eberron, this could mean "were driven beneath the ground into the Feydark by the eladrin".

Obviously, I will be sticking with the 4E interpretation of the Formorians - IIRC earlier editions had them as just another race of Evil Giants. What are some good sources on Fomorians in 4E? My PDF collection of books from that edition is far from complete...

Elaborating on this, the Fomorians formed as a reflection of the giants, and while they never mounted a full-scale invasion of Eberron like the quori or the daelkyr, they enjoyed setting up temporary, local fiefdoms on Eberron for getting slaves and playthings - in Khorvaire, the proto-goblins would have been their victims. Eventually, the eladrin rebelled against them just like the elves of Xen'drik rebelled against their giant masters.

They would have left cyclopean (heh) ruins behind - both in the Wayward Coast and elsewhere. However, they would not have been left undisturbed without very good reasons - the goblins would have had millenia to examine them. Some may have become so weathered and overgrown that they are mistaken for natural landmarks these days.

So... any reason why a fomorian ruin might still have some intact stuff?

Alternatively, perhaps a later goblin settlement was built into a fomorian ruin, using its convenient location and existing walls as a starting point for their own construction.

Also, I should have said before that I'm following this thread avidly, because it's amazing.
Thanks!

I am enjoying the ride, and running a campaign in it gives me additional motivation to develop all this. Hopefully this will lead to a publication (or two) on the Dungeon Master's Guild down the road...

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Since the next session is coming up this Saturday, I could use some ideas for PC-specific plotlines:

- The warforged warlock is trying to set himself up as an underworld figure in his own right - specifically, as a "Fixer" in the Shadowrun sense. Any good plot ideas for that? Presumably, he will want to make deals among the dwarves of Ironport, since Splintertown may be a... saturated market.

- The warforged fighter is searching rumors for other people in the region with Aberrant dragonmarks. This was his original interest for coming to this region in the first place, and I haven't done anything with this so far.

- Finally, the Cannith artificer has been invited to a congregation of the Blood of Vol - and even if he decides against it, the warforged fighter might because he has developed an interest in religions. What does a Blood of Vol ceremony look like, beyond ritually collecting blood?

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Okay, I think I have a first task for our would-be "fixer":

There are two dwarf clans that have an intense rivalry with each other. And a representative of one clan wants someone to "retrieve" an heirloom that she claims the other clan had stolen from her, and she knows that this clan has it in Ironport.

How the warforged warlock accomplishes this task is up to him.

Additionally, he isn't told that this "heirloom" frequently changes hands between the two clans as an informal "counting coup", and if he is successful, the other side will hire him to steal it back.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
So I've given this some thought, and I think I need one of these "random personality trait" generators because my PCs will likely be hiring a bunch of people very soon.

What are some good ones on the (RPG) market?

Top Bottom