Is Dungeon Crawling still a popular thing?

NathanS

Validated User
D&D still uses dungeon crawls extremely heavily in published adventures and DMing advice..
Depends on how one defines Dungeon crawling. Is it any underground adventure? Then sure, but if one means, needing to map, carefully listen at doors, be on the look out for traps every step of the way and so on, that is the dungeon as described in OD&D, then D&D published adventures them long ago.

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Depends on how one defines Dungeon crawling. Is it any underground adventure? Then sure, but if one means, needing to map, carefully listen at doors, be on the look out for traps every step of the way and so on, that is the dungeon as described in OD&D, then D&D published adventures them long ago.
"What is dungeon crawling?"
"It is crawling underground in search of treasure."
"Bah. That is mining! What is dungeon crawling?"
"It is being wary of traps and ambushes."
"Bah. That is battle! ... Conan, what is dungeon crawling?"
"Crushing the GM, seeing his maps driven before you, and hearing the lamentations of half the adventure hidden behind a single Search check!"

Hammel

Validated User
I like them. I wouldn't be into the minutia of tracking EVERYTHING, but I like exploring underground labyrinths that might not make 100% sense and collecting xp and loots.

One of the appeals for me in the old school computer games was mapping the dungeon. It's fun watching the form of the dungeon take shape.

In tabletop, though, I think I would prefer the GM drawing the map as I went along.

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
Dungeon crawling is still the popular thing.

Everything else is just an optional sideshow. D&D and it's descendents far outsell other RPGs.

committed hero

nude lamia mech
Validated User
Certainly still a thing, although as a player I have less tolerance for the slower speed it takes these days.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dungeon crawling is still the popular thing.

Everything else is just an optional sideshow. D&D and it's descendents far outsell other RPGs.
I wouldn't necessarily say D&D is married to dungeon crawling these days, though, especially among newer players. My experience lines up with NathanS NathanS --most of the people I know who've gotten into D&D over the past few years came into it through Actual Play stuff, and their games are very light on anything identifiable as dungeons.

ESkemp

Validated User
I wouldn't necessarily say D&D is married to dungeon crawling these days, though, especially among newer players. My experience lines up with NathanS NathanS --most of the people I know who've gotten into D&D over the past few years came into it through Actual Play stuff, and their games are very light on anything identifiable as dungeons.
Yeah, if dungeon crawling is still the thing, then I wonder why the OP describes a typical group of players who haven't developed "dungeon crawl" skills. D&D may outsell other RPGs, but if someone wants to claim that means the majority of groups out there still assign a mapper and use 10-foot poles to check for traps, there should probably be more proof to back that up beyond an Amazon sales ranking.

Von Ether

Validated User
Still wondering why this question wasn't on the D&D board instead. The answer seems to be mostly a "yes" one way or another here. I can only imagine that on the d20 forum it would tip the needle even more.

rstites

Validated User
I don't run dungeon crawls anymore. We all got bored with the repetitiveness of it. It was almost like taking the Monster Manual and fighting monsters in alphabetical order. There really wasn't much story to it. Delve, kill, take stuff, go to town, identify stuff and reequip. Rinse and repeat.
Those are examples of poorly designed dungeons, which certainly doesn't preclude a well thought-out dungeon crawl. There are a number of examples of those around from the early days of gaming, and almost certainly some more now. It takes more work to create a good, coherent, interesting dungeon than randomly slap some things together, but it's far from impossible.

What's preventing a GM from putting a high society ball, Elysium politics, or even a space opera dogfight within rooms in a dungeoncrawl? You seem to be imposing arbitrary restrictions on what can constitute a dungeoncrawl. 'Listening at doors', 'checking for traps', and 'unlocking doors' aren't requirements.
Most adventures are dungeon crawls in my experience. The trappings may change, but the essential parts of the adventure come form the same mode.

The brilliance of dungeon crawls is that they limit the adventuring space to something manageable for the GM to create ahead of time, and yet allow the players full reign inside of that space to where the want to go, what they want to deal with, and how they want to interact with the environment.

NathanS

Validated User
Those are examples of poorly designed dungeons, which certainly doesn't preclude a well thought-out dungeon crawl. There are a number of examples of those around from the early days of gaming, and almost certainly some more now. It takes more work to create a good, coherent, interesting dungeon than randomly slap some things together, but it's far from impossible.
That's working on the assumption that a well put together dungeon crawl would be any more interesting to them then a poorly put together one. If what you're interested in is things like character drama and a clear story line classic dungeon crawls are not really even trying to give you those. and when dealing with the classic style where trying to get the the players lost is part of the game? Well those lean towards the convoluted and in-organic in design by nature.

I'd bet you money if you want to a place were Megadungeon and the like are discussed and you garbed a map that is seen as a good map in those areas and showed it to someone like White Wolf they would probably find it random and not any more interesting or see much value in it for them and what kind of games they like.

Edit: sentence was mangled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom