• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Is Starfinder worth investing in?

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
I really dig it, but it really depends on what you're looking for, and who you're asking. So, when you say "something new", what are you looking for?

Starfinder is a fairly crunchy sci-fantasy game, though not as crunchy as it's older sibling. It's not quite the "Pathfinder in Space" that folks call it, as there's more to it than that, but it is up that alley.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
What I mean by something new, is that I have been knee deep in fantasy I a while. Starfinder looked good (the art anyways) and it was a D20 type sci- fi.

What do you mean by crunchy?

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Crunchy is RPG jargon for rules heavy. Pathfinder is crunchy, GURPS is crunchy, etc., while GUMSHOE is not crunchy, Dungeon World is not crunchy, Tunnels and Trolls is not crunchy, etc.,

Also, welcome to the forums!

Random Task

Substandard Henchman
Validated User
I don't play Pathfinder or Starfinder. I've been listening to the Glass Cannon podcast Androids and Aliens podcast and I'm having trouble getting into the backstory of the setting. It just seems kitchen sink generic to me.

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
It's simultaneously kitchen sink and very specific. So, it's kind of Buck Rogers kitchen sink. The setting is pretty gonzo, as it's sort of early 20th century pulp sci-fi (with people living in the sun) mixed with modern sensibilities, and it's specific to the Pathfinder universe, in that it's some time in that setting's far future (how far is unknown, due to a plot device called The Gap, which erased an unknown chunk of history about 300 years prior to the setting's modern day.) As I said, I really like it, and if you're a regular d20 player (specifically 3.x based) then you should have no problems getting into it.

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I'm still waiting for an updated printing of the Core Rulebook. First and Second printings are not errata corrected yet.
Neither is the PDF, for what reasons I have no idea.

jimthegray

Validated User
I love it and am current running an online and a table game of it, I also have everything for it added for it that's out in a physical format and several of the society mods If ylit worried about cost there pdfs are inexpensive

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Your replies are very thoughtful, and I appreciate your insight. I am still looking into Gumshoe as well, but haven't played any yet. How was the reception of the Gumshoe system?

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I believe the GUMSHOE system has been well received. There are several marquee games: Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents. There are several more niche games that may scratch that itch: Ashen Stars and TimeWatch. There's even a Swords and Sorcery game in playtest now: Swords of the Serpentine.

Top Bottom