• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Is Starfinder worth investing in?

Piratecat

Validated User
Your replies are very thoughtful, and I appreciate your insight. I am still looking into Gumshoe as well, but haven't played any yet. How was the reception of the Gumshoe system?
Here's a one-pager I wrote ages ago that will probably tell you if you like GUMSHOE or not.

http://site.pelgranepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/GUMSHOE-101-for-Players-and-GMs.pdf

I personally like Starfinder. I'm also a big fan of Coriolis (by Mophidius, I think?), Save the Universe!, and Ashen Stars.

Megazver

Validated User
From what I've seen, the reception has been somewhat mixed so far.

As something to consider, if you like 5E and want sci-fi in similar vein there are some products that do that: Esper Genesis, Ultramodern 5E/Apex/Neurospasta/Amethyst, Spaceships and Starwyrms, Hyperlanes, and Dark Matter.

BattlelordsOfThe23rdCntry

Validated User
🚫 Fourteen Day Ban for posting barely distinguishable from spamming

Guidance:

Advertisement deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

Koopa

Super Moderator
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Maybe check out Battlelords of the 23rd Century instead. You know... if you want a sci-fi game that doesn't prominently feature goblins. Just sayin' :)

Moderator Text:

In the span of just a few minutes you necroed at least six different threads, some of which are just tangentially related, in order to shill for your game. You are banned from RPGnet for two weeks. When you return, DO NOT make posts advertising your game like this outside of the Hype Machine forum, or you will be permanently banned.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What I mean by something new, is that I have been knee deep in fantasy I a while. Starfinder looked good (the art anyways) and it was a D20 type sci- fi.

What do you mean by crunchy?
If you know Pathfinder / D&D / d20, you'll be fine with the system. Pretty cool setting too, Paizo does a good job with style.

RPG_Wombat

ZIVEN la vida loca
Validated User
For what it's worth, I really was *not* a fan of 3.x/Pathfinder, but I'm actually digging Starfinder. While it does have some issues, they addressed some of my biggest problems with the system. The setting itself is a fun Sci-Fantasy one - I like it, but if you're more of a sci-fi purist, some elements might not sit well with you.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've actually been thinking of getting some of the non-core rulebooks since Amazon has them pretty cheap. And I will say that I love the Solarian - it's probably the best Jedi knock-off I've seen because it forces you to be at least somewhat balanced between light and dark powers. The setting as presented in the core book felt okay, but I'd be willing to check out the Pact Worlds book at some point.

Intruder Alert

Validated User
I'm still waiting for an updated printing of the Core Rulebook. First and Second printings are not errata corrected yet.
Neither is the PDF, for what reasons I have no idea.
Does anyone know if there's been any progress on this front? More specifically related to the print version.

I've recently become slightly Starfinder-curious but I'm not exactly dying to get it RITE NAOW!!1!, so I'd rather get the best possible version of the corebook possible even if it means waiting longer.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
I've actually been thinking of getting some of the non-core rulebooks since Amazon has them pretty cheap. And I will say that I love the Solarian - it's probably the best Jedi knock-off I've seen because it forces you to be at least somewhat balanced between light and dark powers. The setting as presented in the core book felt okay, but I'd be willing to check out the Pact Worlds book at some point.
Just don't... y'know, actually play one.

I like Starfinder, I really do, but the mechanical execution of the Solarion is not the game's finest moment.

Top Bottom