• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Is Starfinder worth investing in?

pstjmack

Validated User
If you're happy with Fate as a game system - and sure, not everyone is - there's a slew of Fate implementations of Starfinder-like themes. Mindjammer is highly rated for really out-there transhumanist concepts. Starblazer Adventures is an even more highly rated (#23 in the RPGnet list of Great RPGs) everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink space opera setting - if you can find a copy. And there's a bunch of more pocket-sized Fate Worlds mini-settings from Evil Hat.

jimthegray

Validated User
I really like it and currently own it all except the newest 2 modules , if you have questions let me know

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
I just recently made an impulse buy of the core book, before seeing this thread. I was never into Pathfinder, but I'm a sci-fi game junkie, so I figured, eh, why not.

Now, it'll just have to wait its turn behind my campaigns for Coriolis, Elite: Dangerous, Traveller, Alien... :sneaky:
Anyway, I never use the setting material from sci-fi books, so as long as its basic mechanics are solid, I'll steal material and craft my own universe.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
From what I've seen, the reception has been somewhat mixed so far.

As something to consider, if you like 5E and want sci-fi in similar vein there are some products that do that: Esper Genesis, Ultramodern 5E/Apex/Neurospasta/Amethyst, Spaceships and Starwyrms, Hyperlanes, and Dark Matter.
How's the setting on Esper Genesis match up?

Robyo

Validated User
I love it, but it's not perfect. It's D20, and it really feels like D&D in Space.

Solarian is pretty complex, but deadly. I like the Mechanic for a great pet class.

My own campaign draws heavily from Dragonstar and it's been great.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
I love it, but it's not perfect. It's D20, and it really feels like D&D in Space.

Solarian is pretty complex, but deadly. I like the Mechanic for a great pet class.

My own campaign draws heavily from Dragonstar and it's been great.
What makes the Solarian deadly?

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
What makes the Solarian deadly?
Built correctly, it's a terrifying damage machine. STR-primary, CHA-secondary, Solar weapon, the right weapon crystal (possibly a short dip into Soldier) and a long enough combat to get everything online, the Solarion is a melee combat blender. Outside that, it's a bit meh. Most of the utility powers are underwhelming until mid-high level, focusing on CHA will still leave you playing second fiddle to an Envoy or face-Operative. One of the problems is that a lot of the powers require three rounds of combat to power up into something effective - this is not as much of an issue as it would be in Pathfinder, but it still makes playing a low level Solarion quite boring. You don't have a niche in space combat either (and, as a separate issue, space combat is *slow*). The Solarion is an inferior captain to any Envoy, is probably a worse gunner than a dedicated ranged combatant, and doesn't have the skill points to be good at sensors, engineering, or piloting.

I know people who've really enjoyed playing the solar weapon melee blender Solarion; everyone who has tried to do anything else has been miserable.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
Built correctly, it's a terrifying damage machine. STR-primary, CHA-secondary, Solar weapon, the right weapon crystal (possibly a short dip into Soldier) and a long enough combat to get everything online, the Solarion is a melee combat blender. Outside that, it's a bit meh. Most of the utility powers are underwhelming until mid-high level, focusing on CHA will still leave you playing second fiddle to an Envoy or face-Operative. One of the problems is that a lot of the powers require three rounds of combat to power up into something effective - this is not as much of an issue as it would be in Pathfinder, but it still makes playing a low level Solarion quite boring. You don't have a niche in space combat either (and, as a separate issue, space combat is *slow*). The Solarion is an inferior captain to any Envoy, is probably a worse gunner than a dedicated ranged combatant, and doesn't have the skill points to be good at sensors, engineering, or piloting.

I know people who've really enjoyed playing the solar weapon melee blender Solarion; everyone who has tried to do anything else has been miserable.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Tell me about this slow space combat, what is the issues?

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
On the other hand, if they're functional, even if substandard in some other roles, when no one wants to play the other roles a class can often shine simply because they're the only game in town.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
On the other hand, if they're functional, even if substandard in some other roles, when no one wants to play the other roles a class can often shine simply because they're the only game in town.
That was why I played one, because I like being a utility face. The problem there is that the Operative is the go-to utility character for anything that doesn't require spellcasting.

Top Bottom