• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Is there a D&D “in spaaaace” out there?

LatinaBunny

Viera Healer
Validated User
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was inspired by a thread and I love D&D-esque stuffs, so I was wondering if there is a scifi D&D? Either 5e or one of the simpler old editions (like B/X) or OSR?

Would Number the Stars be the closest to it?

Nyx Nought Nothing

Validated User
Stars Without Number is very D&D in space mechanically speaking, but Spelljammer is literally D&D in space.

Last edited:

LatinaBunny

Viera Healer
Validated User
Spelljammer?
Could you go into detail of this setting, if it’s not a bother? :) Like a tiny overview of what is the setting like? How are the mechanics?

Stars Without Number is very D&D in space mechanically speaking, but Spelljammer is literally D&D in space.
I’m a little confused by the second part, sorry! ^_^;; How is Spelljammer like D&D?

Sorry for the questions. I am unfamiliar with Spelljammer. I thought that was a Fate game?

Dalillama

Validated User
Spelljammer is a setting for 2e Ad&d featuring magically powered sailing ships cruising the void between the worlds and engaging in swashbuckling adventures.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
Could you go into detail of this setting, if it’s not a bother? :) Like a tiny overview of what is the setting like? How are the mechanics?
Spelljammer is an official DnD setting introduced in the 2e era. Spaceships are, if I’m remembering correctly, powered by spell slots, and are thus called spelljammers. It’s mostly your standard space opera wih DnD elements swapped in, with major factions including elves, gnomes, mind flayers, and orcs (well, “scro”). The tone was all over the place, with the same monster books introducing giant space hamsters and nightmarish engineered not-orc bioweapons. A lot of our weirder monsters, like the hippo-men giff, originate in Spelljammer.

LatinaBunny

Viera Healer
Validated User
Great! I love science-fantasy when it comes to scifi genre stuff, so I’m always open to all magic mixed with psionics, magi-tech, and mix of fantasy races like space elves/vampires/whatever! :D

Spelljammer was a campaign setting for Second Edition D&D published in 1989 that featured magically powered ships that sailed between worlds.
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/17263/Spelljammer-Adventures-in-Space-2e
Magical ships, yay!

Oh, I’m not familiar with 2nd edition. I’m more familiar with B/X, but is it easy to transfer/build upon that previous knowledge and learn this particular edition? :unsure:

RobertEdwards

Validated User
Bunches and Tons.

At least one of TSR's old Buck Rogers Games were based on AD&D.

Dragonstar was a moderately popular Dragons N Drow in space setting for D&D 3ed.

There's Starfinder for Pathfinder

And Esper Genisis for D&D 5th

RobertEdwards

Validated User
"Magical ships, yay!

Oh, I’m not familiar with 2nd edition. I’m more familiar with B/X, but is it easy to transfer/build upon that previous knowledge and learn this particular edition? :unsure:
Fairly to partly trivial. People mixed AD&D and Basic pretty freely back in the day. Just like many people ignored half the rules in AD&D and kept
using things like Basic intuitive. The Spelljamer box set contained all the rules for gravity and breathing in space.

Top Bottom