• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Is there a D&D “in spaaaace” out there?

Nyx Nought Nothing

Validated User
For settings that incorporate D&D style mechanics and themes into scifi there's a variety of games and settings out there, but of course they're generally more accurately described as science fantasy than scifi.
Spelljammer's 2e D&D is one of the main inspirations for B/X AFAIK, and i'm pretty sure there's a bunch of conversions done by others.
Starfinder is a space opera version of Pathfinder with somewhat modified mechanics set in Pathfinder's future.
Esper Genesis is a space opera RPG that is fully 5e D&D compatible, but it's a fully independent setting with its own creatures, classes, and the magic is basically reskinned as sufficiently advanced technology.
Stars Without Number is B/X based space opera and has a variety of settings and optional magic rules available.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Oh, I’m not familiar with 2nd edition. I’m more familiar with B/X, but is it easy to transfer/build upon that previous knowledge and learn this particular edition? :unsure:
You might want to grab the Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion, which adds AD&D classes, spells and items to B/X. That'll get you pretty close to 1st edition AD&D, which in turn is pretty close to 2nd.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
If you're looking for an OSR experience, I might recommend either Stars Without Number (it's OSR sensibilities but slightly different) or White Star: Galaxy Edition (closer to 'white box' era rules; it's got Star Wars and Star Trek influences out of the gate, along with others.

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User
Bunches and Tons.

At least one of TSR's old Buck Rogers Games were based on AD&D.

Dragonstar was a moderately popular Dragons N Drow in space setting for D&D 3ed.

There's Starfinder for Pathfinder

And Esper Genisis for D&D 5th
Oh, cool, I love there are a good amount of scifi-D&D! :)

The only one I’m unsure about is Pathfinder/Starfinder. We are kind of scared off the rumored crunch and complexity of Pathfinder and 3rd edition (and maybe 4th edition?). We were introduced through 5th edition, and my online players were more for lighter-ish stuff like OSR or B/X, PbTA, Unisystem, etc.

Fairly to partly trivial. People mixed AD&D and Basic pretty freely back in the day. Just like many people ignored half the rules in AD&D and kept
using things like Basic intuitive. The Spelljamer box set contained all the rules for gravity and breathing in space.
That’s good to know. :) I’m still learning about all of these old school stuff, so that could be why I was a little confused with some of these older editions. ^_^

(My offline friends and I got into the hobby at 5th edition, and I’ve only played a year of B/X with an online group.)

For settings that incorporate D&D style mechanics and themes into scifi there's a variety of games and settings out there, but of course they're generally more accurately described as science fantasy than scifi.

Spelljammer's 2e D&D is one of the main inspirations for B/X AFAIK, and i'm pretty sure there's a bunch of conversions done by others.

Starfinder is a space opera version of Pathfinder with somewhat modified mechanics set in Pathfinder's future.

Esper Genesis is a space opera RPG that is fully 5e D&D compatible, but it's a fully independent setting with its own creatures, classes, and the magic is basically reskinned as sufficiently advanced technology.

Stars Without Number is B/X based space opera and has a variety of settings and optional magic rules available.
Thanks for the breakdown, Nyx Nought Nothing Nyx Nought Nothing ! :D

Hmm... tough decision. I like the sound of all of those except Pathfinder/Starfinder (too “math-y” for us, one of my players said).

You might want to grab the Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion, which adds AD&D classes, spells and items to B/X. That'll get you pretty close to 1st edition AD&D, which in turn is pretty close to 2nd.
Thanks, JoeNotCharles JoeNotCharles ! I’ll look up this Labyrinth Lord game as well. :)

If you're looking for an OSR experience, I might recommend either Stars Without Number (it's OSR sensibilities but slightly different) or White Star: Galaxy Edition (closer to 'white box' era rules; it's got Star Wars and Star Trek influences out of the gate, along with others.
I’ve been trying to decide between White Star and Stars Without Numbers for a while now when I was looking at some rules-light scifi D&D-like games, and I still don’t know which to choose. Hmm... Suggestions?

I like heroic-level heroes who can withstand combat, since my offline group love combat and such.

KingJosh

Validated User
Two Things:

1. Spelljammer is pretty great, and its "official" material published by the then-owner of D&D. BUT, its really "D&D...in the Age of Sail...in SPAAAAAAACE! Most ships are literally magically-enhanced 18th-Century sailing ships. Also, it was at least partly focused on giving players a way to travel to other settings, though you could just stay in space.

2. White Star and Stars Without Number are both B/X-inspired. I don't own White Star, but I understand that it hews a little closer to the traditional B/X rules, and that it defaults to a Star Wars-ish style of play, though it will easily handle a variety of styles. Stars Without Number, which I do have, uses B/X as a solid base but borrows from newer systems more freely. It defaults to a grittier, smaller feel of a small rag-tag group in a large and diverse galaxy. (The TV series Firefly is the closest non-RPG example I can think of, though if you're familiar with the Traveller RPG that's even closer.) The $20 (in PDF) deluxe edition adds magic (base already has psionics) and rules for more roundly-competent "heroic" characters a la Star Wars.

DavetheLost

Validated User
DragonStar was published by Fantasy Flight Games.

Starfinder is D&D in Space for Pathfinder, like D&D 3.5.

Warhammer 40,000 has space orcs, space elves, wizards, etc. The space elves are called Elder, but they are elves. The space wizards are called psykers. It began as a way to use fantasy models in a sci-fi setting. It has evolved to be less D&D like and more military space opera, with orcs and space elves, and chaos demons.

Labyrinth Lord uses B/X D&D rules as the core. It is compatible with Starships & Spacemen (Star Trek style sci fi), Mutant Future (Gamma World style post apocalypse with mutants and death ray guns), and Apes Victorious (Planet of the Apes) all from Goblinoid Games. Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future are both offered in "no art" pdfs from DriveThru and Goblinoid Games websites so you can check the system out before you buy.

ezekiel

Follower of the Way
Validated User
I want to say I remember you being not so keen on Dungeon World, but I could be misremembering. So if that's something you'd consider, Dungeon Planet is a lot of fun for a campy sci-fi romp.

Moonmover

Validated User
I’m surprised no-one has mentioned Star Wars d20, which is based on D&D 3rd Edition; or Star Wars Saga Edition, which preceded but is very similar to D&D 4th Edition. Both were produced but Wizards of the Coast.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sounds like you are looking for Spelljammer, which I lurves because Githyanki pirates in space, and also Thri-Kreen.

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
For 5e...

Esper Genesis.
Dark Matter.
Hyperlanes.

Of these, only Dark Matter (from Mage Hand Press) is a campaign setting specifically designed for D&D 5e to be added to the PHB and it has a really cool Gadgeteer type class. The other two are self contained games. Esper Genesis is more 5e compatible than Hyperlanes, but Hyperlanes has the best systems for customizing your own species and spaceship systems.

If you want more class and tech options, there is also Ultramodern5.

There is also homebrew stuff for Star Wars 5e and Mass Effect 5e. The Mass Effect one has its own website.

For OSR I like Stars Without Number but there is also a science fantasy game called Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells that looks awesome. It's like the Black Hack in how it reads.

If you are open to expanding beyond the d20 system then Elite: Dangerous is amazing. It is a simple dice system with great starship combat and ship customization options that won't over burden yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom