• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Is there a D&D “in spaaaace” out there?

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
I know I have seen at least one 5e based sci-fi setting over on Drivethroughrpg but I can't find it at the moment. I will try again and update this if no one else knows what it is.

Edit: Spaceships and Starwyrms is what I was thinking of but if you search for the Sci-Fi genre and 5e compatible system you get a few hits.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
my online players were more for lighter-ish stuff like OSR or B/X, PbTA, Unisystem, etc.
If your group enjoys the OSR game Dungeon Crawl Classics then the recently released Star Crawl might be the right direction. I have not had a chance to run this game, but it reads nice and is fully compatible with DCC and MCC.

LatinaBunny

Viera Healer
Validated User
I think I should clarify, I have two different groups (and a potential third group here on the RPGnet pbp forums, of course).

One group is online and is willing to experiment and do more varied indie rpgs like PbtA, Beyond the Wall, The Black Hack, etc, and prefer the abstract or lighter systems.

The other group is offline and is a group of friends. This group has more tactical/strategic players, but who do like to try out various board games and card games. Most of them are into card games and they even sometimes try playing in some card game tournaments and such. They also try out various board games once in a while as well. This group is more casual, but they still like structure in their gaming. Not all of us like too much complexity or math, so we tried out D&D5e and it seems to be in the sweet range to satisfy all of us.

(Fate/FAE rpg seems to have turned off both groups, interestingly enough.)

So, yeah, I’ll be looking up both OSR and other light rpgs for the online groups, and 5e for the offline friends group.

For the offline group, I’ll definitely look into the scifi and science-fantasy stuff is compatible with 5e. I’ve invested in the core 5e books and a few more, so I’m interested in compatiablity for that game.

Moonmover

Validated User
Someone mentioned the 5e Mass Effect hack, which I had completely forgotten about. It is free and it is great. Here is a link to it: https://n7.world/

Even if you don’t want to use the Mass Effect setting, the classes and equipment lists should still be useful to you.

MrTim

Validated User
If you're not married to a D&D variant system, you might want to try Traveller. Classic Traveller and both of the Mongoose Publishing editions are what I would classify as rules-medium (although there are some crunchy design systems for star systems and ships, you don't necessarily have to use them). The first Mongoose edition was released under the OGL and is now known as the Cepheus Engine.

Note that my sense of what counts as rules-medium may be a bit skewed because my go-to game is GURPS and I consider Shadowrun, Champions, and Pathfinder to be perfectly playable systems.

FredH

Validated User
Not exactly D&D in space, but Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells seems like it might be pretty close to what you want.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
You might want to grab the Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion, which adds AD&D classes, spells and items to B/X. That'll get you pretty close to 1st edition AD&D, which in turn is pretty close to 2nd.
Why not suggest the actual 1e and 2e clones? OSRIC and For Gold & Glory are closer to their editions than LL/AEC. Heck FG&G is free here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156530/For-Gold--Glory and IIRC OSRIC is free on lulu.

Latinabunny, you may want to scour the DMs Guild as there are many smaller files for space related gaming. I like Technobabyl and find the idea behind Alien Influence intriguing (it is an alien Patron for warlocks).

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Why not suggest the actual 1e and 2e clones? OSRIC and For Gold & Glory are closer to their editions than LL/AEC. Heck FG&G is free here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156530/For-Gold--Glory and IIRC OSRIC is free on lulu.
Because for somebody who's already familiar with B/X, one book that has a list of stuff to add to the what you already know might be easier to keep track of than a whole new game.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Thanks, JoeNotCharles JoeNotCharles ! I’ll look up this Labyrinth Lord game as well. :)
If you've already got a B/X variant you're happy with, there's not much point in getting Labyrinth Lord IMHO. It was written during the time that B/X D&D itself wasn't for sale, to be a drop-in replacement for it, so it won't have anything you don't already have. (On the other hand, the no-art version is free so you might as well check it out anyway if you have extra time on your hands.)

Stuff labelled "Labyrinth Lord compatible" and such really means "B/X compatible".

LatinaBunny

Viera Healer
Validated User
Someone mentioned the 5e Mass Effect hack, which I had completely forgotten about. It is free and it is great. Here is a link to it: https://n7.world/

Even if you don’t want to use the Mass Effect setting, the classes and equipment lists should still be useful to you.
Ooh, cool! I’ll take a look-see: :)

Some of us love Mass Effect, so might check this out as a potential option for a one-shot session tryout. ^_^

If you're not married to a D&D variant system, you might want to try Traveller. Classic Traveller and both of the Mongoose Publishing editions are what I would classify as rules-medium (although there are some crunchy design systems for star systems and ships, you don't necessarily have to use them). The first Mongoose edition was released under the OGL and is now known as the Cepheus Engine.

Note that my sense of what counts as rules-medium may be a bit skewed because my go-to game is GURPS and I consider Shadowrun, Champions, and Pathfinder to be perfectly playable systems.
Both groups are not crunchy types (except one who really loves math). I’ll have to research to see how bad the crunch or complexity is.

A few players of my offline group (which are my friends) used to play lots of competitive/collectible card games like Magic the Gathering, Force of Will, Dragonball Z, etc, so they can do some tactics, though they are somewhat casual players. They played some board games, too.

I think it depends on what areas are of the systems are complex or crunchy.

My offline group has more patience for tactics, but they like mechanics to be understandable and straightforward/structured and get impatient if it’s too boring.

We only have a limited amount of time to play, so it can’t be something that drags on and bores them too much. They’re into the action-y hero type stuffs. Some players are also not into the modern narrative/freeform stuff like Fate.

Meanwhile, the online groups and online strangers vary in their playstyles, of course. But I do notice the tendencies towards lighter or more narrative stuff, depending on the group. I’ve had a group that preferred the older D&D editions only because they feel that those editions may be lighter/simpler than the newer stuff. (I’m thinking of getting them to try 5e, and streamline 5e a bit.)

Not exactly D&D in space, but Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells seems like it might be pretty close to what you want.
I’ll look it up, thanks. :)

~

So, for lighter older editions stuff: Starjammer, White Star: Galactic Edition, Stars Without Numbers with heroic rules, and maybe whatever else I can find out there.

For 5e, I feel more inclined towards Ultramodern and Dark Matter, since those seem like they can mesh with the existing D&D5e fantasy stuffs better. I’ll look up and research the other 5e scifi games mentioned in this thread as well. :)

Edited to add: Ooh! Spaceships and Starwyrms sounds like another great 5e blending option as well! :D Thanks, mitchw mitchw !

Last edited:
Top Bottom