• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Is there a D&D “in spaaaace” out there?

Nyx Nought Nothing

Validated User
Starfinder is a revised and somewhat streamlined version of Pathfinder. There's fewer classes and feats, there are fewer spells and spell levels, and combat is allegedly streamlined a bit, but i haven't played enough of either to really compare them.

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User
Starfinder is a revised and somewhat streamlined version of Pathfinder. There's fewer classes and feats, there are fewer spells and spell levels, and combat is allegedly streamlined a bit, but i haven't played enough of either to really compare them.
If Starfinder streamlined, that would be nice. Is the corebook stand-alone for rule basics? Are there some basic free rules? How does the combat work compared to 5e?

ETA: Currently checking out the free Basic Rules for Esper Genesis right now. Still deciding which scifi for 5e and OSR. Now I got so many choices! :D

Last edited:

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
I've been doing a lot of research on this subject for my own campaign idea (Humans with FTL encounter a dying race of elves with worlds linked by ancient stargates - humans and elves and other good aliens team up to explore ruins on forgotten planets in search of more ancient stargates to expand the network - did I mention the stargates are guarded by forces of evil, necromancers, and chimeraic monsters warped by the portal magic?).

At first I chose White Star because it had the most material pre-written and could be merged with Swords and Wizardry. But my preference was really for something 5E.

Now I'm leaning towards Hyperlanes because of how closely Hyperlanes interfaces with D&D 5E. I also looked at Esper Genesis also as well as a bootleg Star Wars 5E I found online. The big flaw for Hyperlanes right now for me is that the alien generator doesn't give a lot of options and don't interface will D&D races.

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
BTW- back in the mid-2000s I ran a 3.5 campaign using Dragonstar that was heavily influenced by the Knights of Cydonia video by Muse. It was D&D with a Wild West aesthetic but with laser blasters and robots and cross-country vehicles. There were corrupt sheriffs played by Brian Dennehy, Orc banditos led by a robot named "Red Eye", and prospectors plagued by kobolds.

RobertEdwards

Validated User
My problem with Esper Genisis is its specific setting. It doesn't seem usable for the kind of kitchen sink setting I prefer. Every PC has a powerset with common origin baggage. Space should be bigger than that, I'm inclined.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
FWIW my main issue with Pathfinder is resource management, no character creation. There are so many different things to remember as a player that it slows things down a lot and can suck unless you make the right choices. As a GM, this is magnified quite a bit given that NPCs are greater in number and also need to be created to challenge the PCs.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
My problem with Esper Genisis is its specific setting. It doesn't seem usable for the kind of kitchen sink setting I prefer. Every PC has a powerset with common origin baggage. Space should be bigger than that, I'm inclined.
Whilst that is true, it’s no more true than it is for D&D5e and its implied fantasy setting, or Pathfinder/Starfinder. As with all of them, the further you move from the baseline assumptions, the more effort required. But it is often easy to modify the implied setting elements into yiur own setting.

EvilSchemer

Well, I never!
Validated User
D&D-in-Space setting design question-

When a sci-fi human race with FTL encounters fantasy worlds, should the fantasy races just be straight-up Elves, Halflings, Dwarves, Orcs, etc.?

Or should the races have a more sci-fi veneer and be called "Precursors", "Wajas", "Deros", "Borays", etc?

I think calling them what they are makes them more accessible to players. But I also think giving them evocative re-skins with new names makes the setting more evocative and gives it verisimilitude.

Thoughts?

RobertEdwards

Validated User
My suggestion: use a more or less obscure alternate name and a common nickname of Space Elves.

In other words, Space Dwarves are Derro.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
D&D-in-Space setting design question-

When a sci-fi human race with FTL encounters fantasy worlds, should the fantasy races just be straight-up Elves, Halflings, Dwarves, Orcs, etc.?

Or should the races have a more sci-fi veneer and be called "Precursors", "Wajas", "Deros", "Borays", etc?

I think calling them what they are makes them more accessible to players. But I also think giving them evocative re-skins with new names makes the setting more evocative and gives it verisimilitude.

Thoughts?
Dragonstar says that they are elves and dwarves and orcs because the same gods made everyone.

Top Bottom