• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Is there any equivalents of the treant among aberrations?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Treants are the shepherds of the forest, keeping it intact and healthy (more or less). Are there any monsters that do something similar for aberrant ecologies? (Official and third party materials accepted)

Baron Opal

Validated User
I remember an "orc-wort". It's a tree that grows pods that burst, releasing a humanoid critter. These critters then protect and gather nourishment for the tree.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Not really. The orc-wort is simply a plant that as animated fruit that protect the mother plant. I am looking for creatures that care for all aberrant life, or at least most of it.

WistfulD

Validated User
Aberrants are not, to my knowledge, a cohort the recognizes itself as being a wholistic group which shares a form of group identity. There would be little reason for a creature to be a protector and nurturer of aberrants any more than there would be for red creatures, or multi-headed creatures.

Lewd Beholder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I did the harvesters, psychic plant humanoids that have a culture that is one part mad scientist lab, one part hutterite colony and they love to tinker with stuff and make quite a few aberrations as a result.

They take care of the creations so it might be what you seek. :)

Last edited:

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I did the harvesters, psychic plant humanoids that have a culture that is one part mad scientist lab, one part hutterite colony and they love to tinker with stuff and make quite a few aberrations as a result.

They take care of the creations so it might be what you seek. :)
Actually what would be better is adding another creation, one that protects the rest and keeps their (warped) biosphere together.

Lewd Beholder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
alrighty

let's find the aboleth/illithid term for nursemaid.

Make it a ball with tentacles.

Have it make soothing tones and excrete a slime that warms the young.

ha, I think I remember one that already fits this criteria.

The deepspawn.

Give it a motherly personality and have it take care of it's children. :D

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
The deepspawn.

Give it a motherly personality and have it take care of it's children. :D
That is a great idea. Even better with some modifications- all spawn are aberrations, deepspawn were created to make all life aberrant (including plants) and even after a deepspawn dies, its creations have an innate understanding of all deepspawn based lifeforms and thus a tribal existence (which isn't always positive).

Top Bottom