• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Is there any equivalents of the treant among aberrations?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Using Beholder's list, mimics and greel work together to create aberrant technology (mostly magic and alchemy, but some actual tech as well for those who want to use Chaositech). The grell seed the mimics, which act as vats or fabricators and spit out the end products after a few days or weeks. While they are creating (gestating?) the tech, the mimics care barely move and need to be fed by others.

Now envision a massive cave filled with blobs that look like half melted chests with the occasional grell, skum or avolaki tending to them. And if the tech is finished, there will be the users waiting by (which do not have to be aberrations, just allies of the hive's deepspawn or Abhoth).

Aiken Frost

Validated User
Well. If Lovecraftian lore is accepted, then Shub-Niggurath can be the mother of all aberrations, while her Dark Young fills cleanly the role of "tenders of the flock". They even look vaguely like trees, filling even better the role of "aberrant treants".

Last edited:

Lewd Beholder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Using Beholder's list, mimics and greel work together to create aberrant technology (mostly magic and alchemy, but some actual tech as well for those who want to use Chaositech). The grell seed the mimics, which act as vats or fabricators and spit out the end products after a few days or weeks. While they are creating (gestating?) the tech, the mimics care barely move and need to be fed by others.

Now envision a massive cave filled with blobs that look like half melted chests with the occasional grell, skum or avolaki tending to them. And if the tech is finished, there will be the users waiting by (which do not have to be aberrations, just allies of the hive's deepspawn or Abhoth).
ha I like these.

and cripse, I'm seeing a bio -organic shell that is created which a grell can "sit in" that has arcano tech weapons that may or may not look like a popular british scifi villain. :D

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Well. If Lovecraftian lore is accepted, then Shub-Niggurath can be the mother of all aberrations, while her Dark Young fills cleanly the role of "tenders of the flock". They even look vaguely like trees, filling even better the role of "aberrant treants".
Yeah, Shubby could work. I just try to go to Smith before Lovecraft. As for dark young, form does not dictate function. They would be better as muscle along with rurkanyr, moonbeasts and chuul and leave the actual caring to something more apt to it.

LB- which British villain?

Dreaming Psion

Validated User
Two candidates for a "pan-aberrant" defender group

1) Eberron's Daelkyrs (at the top, known for making all kinds of aberrations, parasites, and such, from Xoriat [Eberron's Far Realm])
2) Kaorti (wants to make the Prime Material Plane more like the Far Realm- which is pretty much aberration land, even if they call some of them outsiders.)

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I am not a big fan of daleks, but that got me thinking of mechs, which lead me to spirit warriors from Spelljammer and then bionoids (the Guyver knock off). Now that is one type of tech that would make fighting aberrations more difficult and complex. Just think of a beholder or hook horror with a biological endoskeleton with its own complement of powers. And with the varied appearance, the characters might not know there is a beholder or horror under there until they kill the bionoid suit.

Porkchop, I was directed to it in another thread, but thanks anyways.

Psion, I never got into Eberron, so where are the Daelkyrs described and statted up? (I do have the Dragon issue with some of their creations, I should look at it again.)

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Another addition, the mortiss from Spelljammer. In addition to making the deepspawn's lair more physically attractive to aberrations by warping the surfaces (walls, floors, ceilings, other?), they produce a gas that is harmful to natural life. Keeps pests like rats and adventurers at bay. In place of sunlight, mortiss use the sounds from the gibbering mouthers as food.

Top Bottom