• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Is there any equivalents of the treant among aberrations?

Dreaming Psion

Validated User
Psion, I never got into Eberron, so where are the Daelkyrs described and statted up? (I do have the Dragon issue with some of their creations, I should look at it again.)
They're in the Eberron Campaign Setting. You can also find some descriptions of them and how they relate to aberrations in the following links:
http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Daelkyr
http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-the-daelkyr-and-their-cults/
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebee/20050704a

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
The other two are good for ideas, but this one is important. It sums up what aberrations should be, esp for those who use the Far Realm or Xoriat.

And this
Bear in mind that a Daelkyr can cause confusion at will – which is to say, it can break your mind just by thinking about you. Given that, the idea that different people may see Daelkyr differently is a fairly minor thing.
very much reminds me of the psionic rules in Realms of Crawling Chaos. Instead of coming up with sanity rules, Dan flipped it around and gave psionic attacks to most of the cosmic horrors in that book. In other words, Cthulhu can also break your brain by thinking about or just at you. (He can also strip away your mind and take complete control with id insinuation.)

Thank you for providing those links!

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I skimmed through the Pathfinder Bestiaries 2-5 and the Dark Sun books and found a few weaker critters that fill some empty niches:

Fungus crawlers (2) are basic prey animals for other aberrations and can be grown much like fungus on wood. They are also a gift to anyone escaping the lair with a wooden object.

Sagari (3) are small snake-like aberrations with horse-like heads. They can weaken foes (I change this to all non-aberrations) with their cries. Swarms of them would make decent guards and living landmines for the surrounding lands.

Brethedans (4) are jellyfish, but with more muscle and the abilities to become the tools they need as well as merge to make themselves more powerful. These are the assistants to grell alchemists and may be found in small groups in their own labs in distant colonial lairs.

Dossenus (4) are little critters that can eat almost anything. Living garbage pits, they keep the lairs clean without the need for oozes (which are mindless and difficult to control).

Fleshdregs (4) are actually related to sinspawn, but work better for me. When a deepspawn consumes a person, it may use their sins and spit out fleshdregs instead of duplicates. Each would have a resemblence to the person, to drive up the horror factor.

Incutilis (4) are controlling parasites that sit on the host's head. Good for enslaving people without duplication (esp if there is no living deepspawn in the area).

Lorelei (4) are one of two marine aberrations I picked. This one is stronger than the others listed here, but looks stranger than most and has the song that really screws with characters.

Blightspawn (5) are giant mosquito-like aberrations that gestate inside the humanoid allies of the aberrations and emerges when the host dies. This is a good way of telling the players who is the real power, as well as making an encounter harder than what is initially perceived.

Cueros (5) are the other aquatic critter. These are good for lake and swamp encounters.

Wizard's Shackles (5) are like incutilis except they only control arcane casters and can be hidden on the body.

As for the Dark Sun monsters (first from the box and the rest from the second MC:

Silkwyrms are good for entangling foes and making locations much harder to explore.

Dagorran because I like their powers and appearance (frog with crystals on its shoulders). They also would be one of the few part mineral aberrations.

Dune reapers are pure muscle and I would make their chances of surprising foes better (possibly hiding in plain sight with camo).

Klar are massive bears with enough psionic powers to fry weak parties and facial tentacles (though no brain eating). They are a wildcard as the other aberrations in a lair are afraid of them, and thus reduce their morale.

Pakubrazi are the monster that permanently mutates foes. They are the critter the characters should fear the most.

Rasclinn eat metal to enhance their metallic hides. Good for munching gear but less destructive than a rust monster.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
In Advanced Bestiary there is the flesh plant template that makes aberrations out of veggies. I am not suggesting applying it to treants (there are already plenty of similar niche critters in this thread), but rather to the mu spore and assassin vine. The former is the giant planar travelling creature that acts much like the probe from Star Trek IV, seeing that aberration colonies are supported throughout the material plane. The latter are weird, solo tentacles that act as guards and assassins (and can be found in the occasional video game).

What other plants would you use with this template to fill out an aberrant colony?

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
In Advanced Bestiary there is the flesh plant template that makes aberrations out of veggies. I am not suggesting applying it to treants (there are already plenty of similar niche critters in this thread), but rather to the mu spore and assassin vine. The former is the giant planar travelling creature that acts much like the probe from Star Trek IV, seeing that aberration colonies are supported throughout the material plane. The latter are weird, solo tentacles that act as guards and assassins (and can be found in the occasional video game).

What other plants would you use with this template to fill out an aberrant colony?
From the book Heroes of Horror there are the taint elementals, which are tentacles like assassin vines but made out of L5R's taint(the physical manifestation of spiritual corruption).

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Necroing this as there are a few monsters from The Nightmares Underneath I want to add.

Beastmen make me think of mongrelmen/folk. As long as some of the races are aberrations, then the mongrel will be one as well (such as the usual art that includes a crabman). These are attempts by the deepspawn to breed in humanoids with their own creations and boost armies as quickly as possible.

Poison trees can be used as guards for the tech breeding rooms as they are effectively immobile. Their poison does Wisdom damage and until it heals, the victim's personality changes in some very unpleasant way.

The most terrifying monsters in the book are iridescent globes. These small, weak creatures don't look like much but they warp reality. "Each month the globes are left to roam a location, it changes enough to become unrecognizable by natives." If the globes can do that to the aberrations' lair, think what they could do to the natural world.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Necroing.

I looked over the lists of aberrations again and noticed a missing niche- the primary producer, i.e. plant analog. With the recent Let's Read of the 3e Monster Manual II I was reminded of the flesh jelly. It is stored in pits and just grows for no known reason. The jelly allows itself to be eaten by aberrations and attacks all others.

Or one could use the flesh plant template from Advanced Bestiary and turn a variety of plant monsters into aberrations. The only change I would make to the resulting stats is their movement rate. It should be reduced to 5 feet. These are almost sessile sources of food for an aberration colony, not guardians or livestock that can wander off.

Dirigible

space respect
Validated User
I swear there was a beholder variant in 2e that looked like a tree...

The Overseer

"Like hive mothers (that operate with them), overseers can convince similar beholders and beholder-kin to work together. Overseers are very protective of their health and always have one or two beholder guards and at least a half dozen directors protecting their welfare."

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Overseers were one of the few abominations that made it into Lords of Madness. And they may have a tree shape, but they aren't a plant analog. They could become one with some tinkering, though I doubt they would be willing to be food like the flesh jelly.

Top Bottom