• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

ISTOGOKO Painting abandoned villages

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hi all, I'm starting my project of an abandoned Russian village, possibly for Bolt Action or Chain of Command or maybe larger scale like Rommel.

I'm using this screenshot as an inspiration
23189+++

How would you approach this? Neutral gray undercoat, drybrush lighter grays, with burnt umber stain or wash to finish?
Or a dark brown undercoat, then splooge glazes everywhere to give it that weather washed out look?

Seeking other painters ideas on this. These are 15mm resin models if that makes a difference

Gideon

Validated User
I would go with a dark brown base to everything, (I use GW Rhinox Hide for this sort of stuff coz I like the way it lightens with white) and then build it up with lighter coats to almost white.

I would probably leave it there coz I like the effect of 'unrealistic' limited palettes on the table, but you could then go over with several different diluted browns (or inks) to get the variety of colours from your pic.

You can see the wood on this pic is what you would get:

Last edited:

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would go with a dark brown base to everything, (I use GW Rhinox Hide for this sort of stuff coz I like the way it lightens with white) and then build it up with lighter coats to almost white.

I would probably leave it there coz I like the effect of 'unrealistic' limited palettes on the table, but you could then go over with several different diluted browns (or inks) to get the variety of colours from your pic.

You can see the wood on this pic is what you would get:

Nice! Your fields are DIY, or some company?

Top Bottom