• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[ISTOMKO] Jay Lake, Mainspring and other such novels...

Geburah

Brickotherapist
Validated User
Out of sheer idle curiosity, I googled "clockpunk" the other day, and one of the image results lead me to Mainspring by Jay Lake. Now, the various reviews I've seen are pretty flattering, but I'm curious to have Other Media's opinion, especially as I didn't find any mention of Lake in a Google search of the forum.

I'm also curious to know more about his other novels (Rocket Science, Trial of Flowers). Rocket Science sounds like it could be a lot of fun, and a possible SotC inspiration...

So, Other Media, please give me the dirt on Jay Lake! Or have I unearthed a sleeper hit?

The Incredible Hatboy

Superhero at large
I just finished it, and I was soundly disappointed. For something with such an amazingly cool premise, it just felt... flat. No spark, no fire, and certainly a huge failure to capture my attention to a setting that by all rights should have been fascinating. What did I get? A world not *nearly* different enough given that it's split in half; a convenient benevolent conspiracy that begins helping Our Hero from the moment he gets his quest but is never explained, maybe in the sequel. And so much deus ex Machina I thought it was a winking joke. (Oh, and how the hell do you have great big brass tracks that the Earth follows in its orbit, and they don't have a <i>name</i>? The Tracks would be fine. "The Earth's brass orbital tracks" somehow doesn't feel like a phrase that'd be bandied about by people who see them every time they look up into the sky.)

Geburah

Brickotherapist
Validated User
I just finished it, and I was soundly disappointed.
Oh, that bad?

For something with such an amazingly cool premise, it just felt... flat. No spark, no fire, and certainly a huge failure to capture my attention to a setting that by all rights should have been fascinating. What did I get? A world not *nearly* different enough given that it's split in half; a convenient benevolent conspiracy that begins helping Our Hero from the moment he gets his quest but is never explained, maybe in the sequel. And so much deus ex Machina I thought it was a winking joke.
Amusingly enough, I had some similar - but to a lesser degree - complaints about Newton's Cannon by Keyes... Are you familiar with that? Something similar going on there?

(Oh, and how the hell do you have great big brass tracks that the Earth follows in its orbit, and they don't have a <i>name</i>? The Tracks would be fine. "The Earth's brass orbital tracks" somehow doesn't feel like a phrase that'd be bandied about by people who see them every time they look up into the sky.)
Sounds pretty bad. :( I mean, even "The Orbit" or the "Celestial Path" would sound OK.

Anyone else with feedback/a better experience?

Top Bottom