• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IT Chapter 2] First trailer!

Toa

Freilanzer
Validated User
I think the keyword should be "sudden unexpected scare". Obviously a lot of people here were expecting the old lady to go for Beverly, thus they didn't experience it as a jumpscare (me included). I think it would have been something else had Pennywise suddenly bitten Beverly in the neck while she was staring at the old lady's frozen face.

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I ascribe to the meaning of jump scare that it seems many other here are using, where for example you have a character walking cautiously through a dimly lit area and you know something is going to happen and it’s tense and then... a cat jumps out. There’s tension but the release is both unrelated and reveals the tension to have been without merit. That’s the sort of “lazy” jump scare that horror movies have been relatively recently criticized for leaning too much on.

There’s also the kind where you have an innocuous scene where a scary something suddenly jumps out, like if Pennywise did suddenly appear to bite Beverly while she was drinking tea, as proposed above. (I’m also reminded of a scene in episode 8 or 9 of Netflix’s Haunting of Hill House) That’s a legitimate scare but also kinda cheap if overused because there’s no setup.

Anyway, the old lady is not a jump scare by either of those definitions.

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
I'm guessing that this is going to open with the clown doing something with that girl besides appearing to her in the gaps between drying sheets, and if it's a sequence of escalating terror and hopelessness to somebody that is probably more sympathetic who then dies horribly... I'm expecting that to be hard to sit through.
I won’t feel too bad if we don’t start this the way the book does. Mostly because I don’t think the book’s laugh out loud moment in that would translate right to the big screen.

Argent

aka Jerry Sköld
Validated User
I'm not sure how they could have telegraphed that run more though? What I like about that scene is that it feels like the opposite of a jump scare to me, we know something is coming from basically the beginning of the scene, and then its just ramps up tension and dread until its all out insanity. there's no "surprise! she's pennywise!" moment, its more like 2 straight minutes of "ohshit get out of there right the fuck now" where its showing us exactly whats about to happen so we have time to be scared for Beverly.
I didn´t mean that specific run was a jump scare - maybe I was being unclear. The first movie had that "janky horror run right AT YOUR FACE" like three or four times, which is what I meant with sticking to a fairly predictable formula. This scene was excellent in isolation.

EDIT: In addition to this thing happening so many times in the first movie, the traditiona-trailer montage that followed made me think that yeah, this is probably going to be very similar to part 1 in that aspect. YMMV, but I think that several scenes could have been a lot stronger if they didn´t feel the need to pull out all the stops. Plus, designing Pennywise to look like a scary horror clown from the start seems like missing the point.

I didn´t think it was a bad movie. I think it could have been a great one.

JoshR

Validated User
I’ve always understood a jump scare to be a scare causes people to involuntarily jump. Unexpectedness, suddenness, etc. are all elements, of course, but basically it’s the result that makes something a jump scare, not its component elements.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
Plus, designing Pennywise to look like a scary horror clown from the start seems like missing the point.
They were never going to be Tim Curry. They had to go in their own direction with Pennywise if they were going to get an interpretation of the character which stands on its own.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Also, IIRC the book Pennywise is always described as being creepy from the very start. The kids usually know something's off, but he basically has a low-powered Stephen King-version of Presence from Vampire: the Masquerade. Again IIRC, In one of the encounters one of the protagonist kids only survives by touching something that jars them out of it.

Argent

aka Jerry Sköld
Validated User
Clowns are creepy. And to me, this version is kinda like putting red evil-eye-shaped headlights on the car from Christine.

But these are, like, my opinions, man.

LibraryLass

Feminazgûl
Banned
Validated User
I didn´t mean that specific run was a jump scare - maybe I was being unclear. The first movie had that "janky horror run right AT YOUR FACE" like three or four times, which is what I meant with sticking to a fairly predictable formula. This scene was excellent in isolation.

EDIT: In addition to this thing happening so many times in the first movie, the traditiona-trailer montage that followed made me think that yeah, this is probably going to be very similar to part 1 in that aspect. YMMV, but I think that several scenes could have been a lot stronger if they didn´t feel the need to pull out all the stops. Plus, designing Pennywise to look like a scary horror clown from the start seems like missing the point.

I didn´t think it was a bad movie. I think it could have been a great one.
They didn't though. They designed him like a 19th-century clown.

Think Pagliacci.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Even in the book's timeline, even if (as I headcanon) IT took the form of a real Bob "Pennywise" Gray, I don't think the old woman is old enough to be his actual daughter. But nothing stops IT from mixing things up.

Top Bottom