• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IT Chapter 2] First trailer!

Shade the Lost

Validated User
It's 3am and I should be in bed so I won't be rewatching the trailer to look for support, but... I had gotten the impression that IT was not the old lady initially, so much as merely present, and finally possessed her there at the end to maximize the WTF factor from Bev. I think, also, that the old lady being Bob's actual daughter plays into the line about being "daddy's little girl." Almost a horrifying sort of play on words or projection.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Hmm, I feel as though this second trailer slipped through the cracks.

Things that stand out to me most here:

My queries concerning the escalation of the horror for the adults and the experience as an audience member of a scene in which he successfully hunts a child seem to be being intertwined in the idea that It's going to force the Losers to watch. Yikes.

I'm fascinated by this dynamic of It having obsessed over the group for the whole interim period. The tone there, where he seems to take everything so personally, continues some things I really liked from the first, like his apparent offence at Bill asserting that the images were not real.

Only a couple of weeks away now.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
Whoever came up with "THE END... OF IT." as a tagline deserves a bonus.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
I'm fascinated by this dynamic of It having obsessed over the group for the whole interim period. The tone there, where he seems to take everything so personally, continues some things I really liked from the first, like his apparent offence at Bill asserting that the images were not real.
It's one of those traits you often see among King's monsters (although this might be movie specific, because I don't recall it being a thing in the book) - powerful, inhuman, unnatural creatures aren't really aloof and alienated, they're petty, self-indulgent, small-minded little shits, which actually doesn't seem far off the mark.

*edit*
Actually, wasn't the big reason why It went after kids is because kids were _easy?_

Isator Levie

Validated User
(although this might be movie specific, because I don't recall it being a thing in the book)
I have never read the book, but I have read summaries, and I would suppose that this is a case of taking things that were previously only part of the creature's inner monologue and externalising then into how It expresses itself towards the other characters.

Bookwrack said:
Actually, wasn't the big reason why It went after kids is because kids were _easy?_
I understand the book to have It explain that terrifying people before eating them is akin to salting the meat, and that children have less abstract fears that are easier to shapeshift into a physical form for. But now that you bring it up, the way that the story represents how vulnerable It is when people actually stand up to It would seem to vary the implication that a native cowardice is also a factor.

On another note, I was looking at something breaking the trailer down accompanied by screenshots, and damn if Skarsgard doing that thing with his eye is not a hundred times creeper when it's natural colours on a regular human face.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Yes, I think some people have recovered the voice for Skarsgard's Pennywise as a bit too monstrous in comparison to Curry's, but I've definitely seen clowns who'll go for sounding like either either. Sometimes it's the really exaggerated gift voice, sometimes it's the humourously put-upon gruff voice. They both got with the way that they play their respective clowns, and how they relate to the other characters.

Indeed, from the little excerpts of writing from the book that I've caught, I think that version of Pennywise plays out as another type of clown altogether; the variety that's more soft-spoken, articulate and vulnerable.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
I do think they cheated on Pennywise's makeup a little, though maybe subtly enough to work. Clown makeup is supposed to exaggerate facial figures, so that people in the back can see their expressions. Krinkle up there has lips eyebrows and laugh lines all turned to 11, making him a bit spooky up close, but you can tell he's supposed to be a happy guy from 100 yards away.

Pennywise has lines curling up from his lips up vertically through his eyes. That's not suggestive of any human facial feature. That's pretty darn alien. Curry's version has something similar around the eyes, but it's much smaller and subtler even in fang-faced monster mode and almost imperceptible when he's being more human.

Top Bottom