• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IT Chapter 2] First trailer!

Isator Levie

Validated User
Pennywise has lines curling up from his lips up vertically through his eyes. That's not suggestive of any human facial feature. That's pretty darn alien. Curry's version has something similar around the eyes, but it's much smaller and subtler even in fang-faced monster mode and almost imperceptible when he's being more human.
The lines being connected to the corners of the mouth is certainly distinct, but I'm fairly certain vertical lines across the eyes is a fairly common clown look.

Bookwrack

Gazer
Validated User
I'd say it's another one of his subtly off features. Eye decorations are quite common in clown makeup, but not like that, but it also isn't going to come off as too far awry at first.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
I'd say it's another one of his subtly off features. Eye decorations are quite common in clown makeup, but not like that, but it also isn't going to come off as too far awry at first.
One of those things that we'd debate about if it was part of an ostensibly non-horror miniseries, basically? Something that is just slightly off enough to be wrong and make some people uneasy?

Gogmagog

Validated User
I have never read the book, but I have read summaries, and I would suppose that this is a case of taking things that were previously only part of the creature's inner monologue and externalising then into how It expresses itself towards the other characters.

I understand the book to have It explain that terrifying people before eating them is akin to salting the meat, and that children have less abstract fears that are easier to shapeshift into a physical form for. But now that you bring it up, the way that the story represents how vulnerable It is when people actually stand up to It would seem to vary the implication that a native cowardice is also a factor.

On another note, I was looking at something breaking the trailer down accompanied by screenshots, and damn if Skarsgard doing that thing with his eye is not a hundred times creeper when it's natural colours on a regular human face.
Might be why It doesn't go for the Deadlight right at the start because it makes the food bland.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
I do think they cheated on Pennywise's makeup a little, though maybe subtly enough to work. Clown makeup is supposed to exaggerate facial figures, so that people in the back can see their expressions. Krinkle up there has lips eyebrows and laugh lines all turned to 11, making him a bit spooky up close, but you can tell he's supposed to be a happy guy from 100 yards away.

Pennywise has lines curling up from his lips up vertically through his eyes. That's not suggestive of any human facial feature. That's pretty darn alien. Curry's version has something similar around the eyes, but it's much smaller and subtler even in fang-faced monster mode and almost imperceptible when he's being more human.
And in the climax of part 1, iirc, his mouth opened all the way following those lines. 😱

moondog548

Zip Zap Zoop!
Validated User
I'm not familiar with the book or the TV movie except obviously through cultural osmosis. The new IT movie didn't interest me at all, but I was glad to see what looked like some good creepy horror being made in general.

This new trailer has me VERY interested in the sequels. It looks much more like my favorite type of existential and gothic horror and that cast is legit! I might actually have to make a priority to...

You had me in the first half of that post, I won't lie.

Anyway: My only complaint is what I've heard about their intentions towards the only black character in the entire movie. The director is on statement having decided to turn him into a drug addict, because...? Well, of course it's the black guy who is on drugs, after having his story transplanted onto one of the white characters in the previous movie.

This is a complaint, but not a "I won't see it" complaint. Just... the casual, unthinking racism annoys me.
...Oh! Ok, phew! I'm off the hook. :D

Plus from reviews I understand the first movie is much more about loud noises and jump scares than doing the creepy/disturbing premise justice as the trailers would have implied. So no big! I'll keep an eye on reviews.

Harlan Quinn

Mild Mannered Reporter
Validated User
The journalists who have seen It previews say Bill Hader steals the show and deserves an Oscar nomination. There are also scattered complaints about the movie’s length (3 hrs) but it looks like a thumbs up for the movie.

For the people who know the book, did anyone else notice how the characters were dressed?

Gogmagog

Validated User
The journalists who have seen It previews say Bill Hader steals the show and deserves an Oscar nomination. There are also scattered complaints about the movie’s length (3 hrs) but it looks like a thumbs up for the movie.

For the people who know the book, did anyone else notice how the characters were dressed?
Well I hope there is a break for bathroom dashes or I'll be waiting for the Blu-Ray

Top Bottom