It's My Birthday! Give Me Planetary Romance Adventure Ideas!

Kinetic Energy Weapon

flouveida
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I volunteered to GM a planetary romance game this morning, as one does, and now I need adventure hooks. :p For the setting I'm thinking either steamy jungle Venus with dinosaurs, or a Thundercats/Thundarr the Barbarian-esque post-post-apocalyptic Earth. With dinosaurs. I'm going to hack Honor + Intrigue for the system, because I want there to be lots of fencing.

Inspirational art is welcome too.

-1000 points for the first person to make the obvious joke.

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
Happy birthday!

Temple Of The Moon Goddess

The PCs join a relatively organised archaeological expedition to a supposedly abandoned temple deep in the wilds, looking for a rumoured connection to Earth of centuries ago. (This presumes interplanetary travel being possible but rare in the case of the Venus game, and pre-war artefacts being possible but rare for the after-the-end game.)

The expedition organiser found an ancient holographic-or-other-forgotten-technology map and has had some time to analyse it, and she reckons that even if the temple complex is empty it will still have dangers worth bringing seasoned adventurers along.

And the map is stolen the night before the expedition reaches the temple itself...

Last edited:

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
The seas of Venus are populated by marine reptiles making the waters are so dangerous that everyone (including pirates) use airships. Said pirates find turbid waters and lower stolen loot down into them. The only safe way to get such treasures back is with a ship, a hook and lots of chum to be used to draw the predators away.

Oh, and happy birthday!

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cat People in the Jungle with the Dinosaurs.

3) The Reptile Men who live underground once ruled the world, but they wared with each other. The current dinosaurs are biologic weapon and their descendents (the truly old are quite fearsom, the younger ones are merely dangerou).
3a) One enclave is trying to slap a mind control device on a elder dinosaur and finish the war their ancestors could not. If they control this masive critter, they will ravage the entire world.

4) Using a Mind Control Crystal, once lizard man is controlling the king of The Good Cat People... Leading them to war against the Less Good Cat People. Once the cats are dead... the Lizards will take back the surface. The Lizard Man is hiding in the shadows and secret passages of the Castle.

5) Cat People Herding some passive dinosaur are on a cattle drive to another city. They need protection against other dinosars snacking on their tribute.

6) It is a cold, cold winter (for Venus). The Legendary Ape People from high in the mountains are able to reach the lower lands for the first time in centuries. Warlike and amoral, also with mental power, they are attacking Cat People and Amusing themselves.

Von Ether

Validated User
Start off with a mid-level D&D game in media red, with a fight over a crystal. As they win, the crystal flares and they wake up naked in a cell with other bizarre creatures as prisoners.

Now just reskin everything, but leave them guessing what is what. Is that jetpack a cure light? Is that photonic alien an elf? Are the blasters enchanted crossbows?

The prison break will practically run itself if you make things tough, but fair. If you let them escape on a flying mantra ray, you can do no wrong.

You can even add a teaser to a campaign by hinting that your party druid makes a little grass grow wherever they walk.

One of the best sessions I ever ran.

Last edited:

waitingforgodzi

Validated User
One of the major NPCs should be a robot who is also royalty. It doesn't matter how you justify it - royal robots are just awesome.

When the princess was eaten by dinosaurs, tragically before her time, the King and Queen couldn't imagine life without their beautiful daughter. So they built the Android Princess to replace her. The Android Princess doesn't think this is a very healthy way to grieve, and she's expressed her concerns repeatedly, saying "I am not your daughter, but I do love you, and I want to help you deal with your pain." The King and Queen are both very frustrated by this, and they keep erasing those thoughts from her memory core. Now the Android Princess has figured out what's going on, and she's getting desperate - she's hired the PCs to steal some blueprints from the royal robotics lab, so that she'll be able to reprogram herself, keep her memories safe, and finally guide the King and Queen through their grief.

Since the machines rebelled against their human masters, the war has waged for generations. Now, at long last, the robots are willing to seek a diplomatic solution. The PCs are among those who've been summoned to the newly-constructed Shining Palace, to negotiate a peace treaty with the also-newly-constructed Chromium Queen. The palace is magnificent, with fiber-optic tapestries, beautiful holo-portraits of famous historical robots, and automatic sliding doors that make soft whooshing noises. But it seems that someone wants the negotiations to fail - when all of the organic guests are sitting down to dinner, the laser grid suddenly collapses, and the banquet hall is overrun with dinosaurs!

jasin

Banned
When the princess was eaten by dinosaurs, tragically before her time, the King and Queen couldn't imagine life without their beautiful daughter. So they built the Android Princess to replace her. The Android Princess doesn't think this is a very healthy way to grieve, and she's expressed her concerns repeatedly, saying "I am not your daughter, but I do love you, and I want to help you deal with your pain." The King and Queen are both very frustrated by this, and they keep erasing those thoughts from her memory core. Now the Android Princess has figured out what's going on, and she's getting desperate - she's hired the PCs to steal some blueprints from the royal robotics lab, so that she'll be able to reprogram herself, keep her memories safe, and finally guide the King and Queen through their grief.
This is going straight to my notes file, thanks!

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Cat People in the Jungle with the Dinosaurs.
This sounds like a Cluedo solution. A peace delegation to a neighbouring city state has gone missing, and the PC's have to find out why. It turns out the culprits are cat people who want the two city states at war, and used stolen mind control crystals to cause dinosaurs to attack the delegation. The PC's must rescue the survivors and defeat the cat people's scheme. (Possibly the dinosaurs are intelligent ones who also need saving - in which case, great fencing skill will be needed to cut the straps holding the crystals against their heads without harming the dinosaurs themselves.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
11) The Starmen have brought some light blue skinned people to the mountains in the north. (Just like the Starmen have brought any number of other individuals or people to the world). The strangers are frightened, aggressive, very strong, and some can make arcs of lightning. Luckily for you, they do not do well at lower elevations and warmer temps.

12) Unfortunately for you, a few months from now, you have to go through those mountains.

Top Bottom