• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative It's my girlfriend's birthday! I'd like 101 angels!

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
@Asen G: "Call Me Sam" reminds me of the demons of vengeance on Buffy. I'm wondering, is that what he's meant to be? Or is he supposed to actually get people to improve themselves?

Because if the latter, this method seems to me very unlikely to work.

Beat up a physical weakling and you're likely following in the footsteps of every bully who ever tormented him. If that hasn't already motivated him to get strong then either he can't, or is convinced he can't so won't try, and one more beating just makes him more hopeless.

Use a physically weak bureaucrat to torment a strong man and you get not respect for the weak but active hostility, toward bureaucrats or weaklings or both.

As a rule of thumb, if an object lesson comes across as punishment the lesson probably won't be learned.

Asen_G

#3 Anti-Illusionism Squad
Validated User
@Asen G: "Call Me Sam" reminds me of the demons of vengeance on Buffy. I'm wondering, is that what he's meant to be? Or is he supposed to actually get people to improve themselves?

Because if the latter, this method seems to me very unlikely to work.

Beat up a physical weakling and you're likely following in the footsteps of every bully who ever tormented him. If that hasn't already motivated him to get strong then either he can't, or is convinced he can't so won't try, and one more beating just makes him more hopeless.

Use a physically weak bureaucrat to torment a strong man and you get not respect for the weak but active hostility, toward bureaucrats or weaklings or both.

As a rule of thumb, if an object lesson comes across as punishment the lesson probably won't be learned.
Oops, sorry, I forgot to add just a couple of sentences:D! But you're right, it doesn't make much sense without them.
Just edited, but for your convenience, here are the changes.
"And then someone appears, offering you to teach you exactly the thing you need to deal with this. It's suspiciously often a wise elder..."
Yes, "Call me Sam" is the Angel of Wizened Old Masters who first create the need for the lesson, before imparting the lesson itself;)!

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Oops, sorry, I forgot to add just a couple of sentences:D! But you're right, it doesn't make much sense without them.
Just edited, but for your convenience, here are the changes.
"And then someone appears, offering you to teach you exactly the thing you need to deal with this. It's suspiciously often a wise elder..."
Yes, "Call me Sam" is the Angel of Wizened Old Masters who first create the need for the lesson, before imparting the lesson itself;)!
Ah. Now that sounds better. :)

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
Happy birthday, DarkStarling's girlfriend!

The White-haired Woman

A deliberately vague NPC idea for a superhero game

A figure glimpsed among the helpers in disaster areas, a young woman with white hair. Sometimes she appears in a long white dress, sometimes in street clothes, and there are a few reports of seeing her in an emergency response uniform. Her face does not match any known records, and she does not seem to leave fingerprints. No-one has ever seen her arrive or leave the scene of an incident.

No heroes helping with rescues and other aid efforts have seen her more than once - though a young mutant hero claims that she saved him from a rampaging villain by stepping in his way and meeting his gaze, somehow making him back down and flee.

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Happy birthday, DarkStarling's girlfriend!

The White-haired Woman

A deliberately vague NPC idea for a superhero game

A figure glimpsed among the helpers in disaster areas, a young woman with white hair. Sometimes she appears in a long white dress, sometimes in street clothes, and there are a few reports of seeing her in an emergency response uniform. Her face does not match any known records, and she does not seem to leave fingerprints. No-one has ever seen her arrive or leave the scene of an incident.

No heroes helping with rescues and other aid efforts have seen her more than once - though a young mutant hero claims that she saved him from a rampaging villain by stepping in his way and meeting his gaze, somehow making him back down and flee.
So Florence Nightingale as a mysterious stranger?

And Asen_G, you're welcome. :)

Last edited:

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
So Florence Nightingale as a mysterious stranger?
Pretty much. And as a Mysterious Stranger, she might also be a time traveller or something, like DC's Pandora.

Of course her secret will only be revealed when she appears to the PCs a second time to ask for their help saving the world... or maybe just one person.

Last edited:

The Watcher

Cosmic Observer
Validated User
Originally wrote this guy up for the In Nomine mailing list years ago.

Kalel
Elohite of Destiny
Master of Divine Knowledge
Angel of Superheroes

Corporeal Forces: 6 Strength: 12 Agility: 12
Ethereal Forces: 6 Intelligence: 12 Precision: 12
Celestial Forces: 6 Will: 12 Perception: 12

Suggested Word Forces: 18

Vessel: Human Male/6 Charisma +3 Role/6, Status/6: Professor Mentalis,
Superhero Mentor
Human Male/3 Charisma +3 Role/6, Status/5: Jamie West, Sidekick at
large

Skills: Acrobatics/2, Chemistry 2, Climbing/2, Computer Operation/2, Detect
Lies/2, Dodge/3, Driving/1, Electronics/2, Enchantment/2, Enineering/2, Emote/1,
Escape/2, Fast Talk/2, Fighting/3, Knowledge: Superheroes/6, Knowledge:
Supervillains/6, Language: Greek/1, Language: Latin/2, Large Weapon/2,
Lockpicking/2, Lying/3, Medicine/2, Move Silently/2, Ranged Weapon/2,
Running/1, Savoire-Faire/2, Seduction/1, Singing/2, Small Weapon/2, Swimming/1,
Tactics/4, Throwing/1, Tracking/1

Songs: Artifacts (All/2), Attraction (*Ethereal/3, Celestial/2), Calling
(*All/6), Charm (Corporeal/2, *Ethereal/3, *Celestial/3), Draining(*Ethereal/3),
Dreams (*All/4), Empathy (*All/6), Entropy (Corporeal/2, *Ethereal/3,
*Celestial/3), Essence (*Ethereal/3, *Celestial/3), Form (All/2), Harmony
(*All/5), Healing (Corporeal/3 *Ethereal/4, *Celestial/4), Light (Celestial/1),
Might (All/2), Motion (*All/3), Nemesis (*Celestial/3), Nimbus (*Ethereal/4),
Opening (*Celestial/3), *Possession/4, *Projection/6, Revulsion (*Ethereal/3),
Sensation (*All/4), Shields (*All/3), Sleep (*Ethereal/3), Solace (*Ethereal/4,
*Celestial/4), Succor (*Ethereal/4), Tongues (*All/6), Truth (*Ethereal/3),
Unity (*Celestial/3), *Daydreams/3, *Moodreading/6,

Attunements: Seraph of Destiny, Elohite of Destiny, Malakite of Destiny,
Kyriotate of Destiny, Mercurian of Destiny, Divine Destiny, Divine Logic,
*Forgetful Words, Library Card, Synchronicity, Master of Divine Knowledge
(Kyriotate), Songmaster, Angel of Superheroes, Heroic Role

Special Abilities: Both of these can be granted to other angels as attunements.

Angel of Superheroes: As the Angel of Superheroes, Kalel can sense with a
successful Perception roll the circumstances which could serve as a
potential "origin" for an indvidual, and what the result of such an "origin"
might be. This ability only detects the most imminent set of "origin"
conditions and results in a person's life at the time used. This ability also
allows one to detect the powers of a being who already had his "origin" with a
successful Perception roll.

Example: Kalel assenses scientist Bruce David with this ability, and learns
that exposure to radiation will turn him into the Mighty Brute, a dumb being
with super strength and toughness. He would not, however, learn of Bruce
David's potential to become Avian, the Winged Avenger, by being bitten by a
genetically engineered eagle, due to the fact that the Brute origin is closer
to the present.

Heroic Role: This allows an angel to mask the Disturbance caused by the use of
Songs and Attunements with a Role, as long as the abilities used all correspond
to a power motiff which the Role is known for. For example, Kalel's Role of
Professor Mentalis is a known psionicist with telepathic and telekinetic
powers. The Forgetful Words Attunement and all his Songs marked with an * are
abilities which would fall under the psionic power motiff, and thus can be
masked with a successful Role roll.

The version of this attunement which can be granted to other angels is limited
compared to the benefits Kalel enjoys from holding his Word. Another angel
possessing the Heroic Role attunement can only link a number of Songs or
Attunements equal to their Role Level plus Corporeal Forces to a particular
Role. Whether a Song or Attunement fits the power motiff of a Role is left up
to the discretion of the GM. It shouldn't be hard to determine. A good rule
of thumb is that the powers masked by a Role must all fall under a certain
theme. For example, Aniel, an Ofanite of Gabriel, has a Role as Flame,
Mistress of Fire. She could choose any of Gabriel's attunements and any Songs
which are associated with creating or manipulating Fire to link to her Role,
but not her Songs of Healing.

Artifacts: Kalel possesses many artifacts, all with a superhero gadet motiff.

Rites: All of Destiny's
- - Help a superhero train in the use of his powers
- - Convince a superhuman to use his powers for good +2
- - Convince a supervillain to reform and use his powers for good +3

Origin & Backstory
It all began when superhumans first started emerging in the world. No one was
sure what caused it, but all knew that the state of the Symphony had changed.
Individual humans were developing unique powers which caused no disturbance in
the Symphony. Perhaps it was the result of meddling by the other side. Maybe
it was the ethereals somehow messing with things. Or maybe, just maybe, for
some reason God decided to let humans realize more of their unique potential.

Whatever the cause, one thing was certain. The possibility for humans to
become such powerful beings had the potential to impact greatly on human
society, and thus The War. The actions of such beings and the feelings they
inspired had the potential to lead many souls to their Destiny or Fate. This
was not lost on Yves. He sponsored Kalel, a high ranking Elohite of his, for
the Word of Superheroes, so that someone would be able to utilize this new
change in the human condition for the purposes of Destiny. It was a close race
between Kalel and canidates put forth by Bladine, Laurence, and Michael, but in
the end, Kalel prevailed, and became the Angel of Superheroes.

As the Angel of Superheroes, Kalel is concerned how superpowers can affect the
Destiny of humans in general. He helps arrange for those whose Destiny is
bound up with becoming a superhero to realize their potential, and when he can,
steer a potential supervillain away from his origin. He also tries to
manipulate superhumans so that they save others from Fate, and inspire them
toward Destiny. Kalel has found his Elohite objectivity to be a distinct
advantage in his duties, since sometimes giving someone the life of a superhero
can lead to great tragedy for the hero and his loved ones. No one said the
road to Destiny was always easy.

Kalel has been greatly involved in the superhuman scene. He has engineered
the origins of several superheroes and the formation of superhero teams. In
his Role of Jamie West, he has the friendship of many superheroes, and is in a
postion to steer them in the right direction with words of encouragement and
advice at just the right times. As Professor Mentalis, Kalel serves as a
mentor to a young group of heroes, giving them aid and guidance as they seek to
protect humanity from those who would use their gifts selfishly.
And by using his granted Kyriotate Attunement, he has protected various
bystanders from supervillain rampages by possessing and empowering them.

Last edited:

LuciusAlexander

PalindromedaryRider
Validated User
Note: This fanfiction was first posted on herogames.com and utilizes several distinct sources without intending to challenge the copyright holders of any of them. If either of these is an issue here, I will happily delete my post. by the way, is anyone keeping count so we know when we hit 101?

Confronting Jerry Belvedere was something so utterly alien it made the Wolfman and Salem the cat seem practically as Human as Archie. It was a congeries of eyes, of diverse sizes, colors, and types, emitted jets of flame and clouds of smoke that rose into the sky, and possessed innumerable beating wings that added a whirring sound to the hissing of the flame jets. The Wolfman was the first to find his voice. “It's like something out of Lovecraft! What kind of horrible monster is this?” Archie slowly sank to his knees. A voice as quiet as wind chimes yet as penetrating as a gong came forth. “Fear not.”

Whatever it was seemed to bend in the direction of Jerry Belvedere, as if bowing. “I greet the Bringer of Light, the Morning Star, the Beloved Vessel and Reflection of the Creator's Glory!”

“THAT'S NOT WHO I AM!” bellowed the man addressed, shattering windows on that side of the house. Bursting into flame he grew taller, darker, and much, much less Human.

The voice continued. “Of course it is. You have free will to pervert and deny that identity, or to try to fulfill it more truly. You have always had the choice, and still do. But throughout space and time and in Eternity, you cannot escape it – except by ceasing to exist. For as long as you are – you are.”

The fiend who had called himself Jerry Belvedere gave an inarticulate cry of rage and vanished into a cloud of smoke and a foul smell of brimstone.

“Archie Andrews, stand up. Do not kneel to me. Never to me.” Archie stood.

“That....that was Satan! And I almost trusted him!” Archie turned to look at his friends...and was shocked. Sabrina and Wendy had wands leveled, Hot Stuff had his trident ready to blast and already glowing with heat, Wolfman was ready to pounce, and a number of levitating metallic spheres bristling with sensors and weapons – robot sentries that Dilton controlled – hovered over them. Only Caspar looked thoughtfully at the strange creature, and said “It said, 'fear not.'”

There was a tense moment, and then Archie said “Dilton. Check your databases. Look up 'cherubim.'”

Sabrina, recognizing the word, looked thoughtful and lowered her wand....a little.

Dilton's voice issued from one of the robot sentries. “Archie, a cherub is a chubby little angel that looks like a cupid but without the bow and arrow.”

“Dig deeper. That's not what they really look like, and it's not the only way they've been described.” Archie looked at his friends so tense and afraid, and forced himself to relax and smile. “Think about it, people. Who announces themselves with the words 'fear not?' Who would greet.....the person we just saw, as a lightbringer, as 'Morningstar?'”

“Archie, I found a match. It doesn't match either Ezekiel's description nor the most common iconography, but cherubim HAVE been depicted that way. And as far as I can find so far, nothing else looks like that. Not even in the Necronomicon.”

Hot Stuff suddenly switched grip on his trident and thrust it into the ground in a gesture of peace. “Listen up! That was the Big Guy and I didn't even know it until he got mad and showed hisself, but I know it now. And whatever or whoever it is, THIS guy got him mad and got away with it, and got him to go away. Buster, you give me the heebie jeebies, but I want to be your friend.”

“So do I” said Caspar, who wanted to be everyone's friend. Wendy put her wand down. “Me too.” The Wolfman, noting that after all the thing had not attacked, relaxed. Sabrina asked “Archie, are you going to introduce us?”

“I would but....” Archie turned to the angelic being. “What shall we call you?”

“I am Proginoskes” said Proginoskes. “I have come to you, Archie Andrews, because you asked for help. What was your business with the being who just departed this place?”

Archie scowled. “He was lying to us, I'm sure. Making us mistrust our friend, Dale Cooper. And warning us about someone named Eugene Tooms – Tooms has to be one of the good guys, really. We need to find him!”

Proginoskes had been gradually shrinking as he stood there, and was now shorter than Archie himself. “There is much I should learn, if I am to help here. I may remain in the garden if there is not yet perfect trust, but you should seek shelter now.” They all noticed that it had grown chill and the wind was rising. “There is a storm coming.”

Will the team fall prey to the deceptions of the Great Liar and trust the wrong....person? Can the Enchanted Forest be saved from the forces arrayed against it? Is Proginoskes really what Archie thinks it is? And what about Betty and Veronica? Don't risk missing a single issue - subscribe now to The Innocent Go Forth and our companion publication The Monster Within! You'll find no finer pair of comics magazines in the business!

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary wonders what's the record for most different sources used in crossover fan fiction

Jetpack

Validated User
Urusla - she tends to drowning mariners.

She appears to those in danger of drowning, encouraging them to keep treading water. Help is coming.

For those who can't, she helps their last moments be more calm and peaceful.

Top Bottom