• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

ITT, We Post About Widely-Panned Sourcebooks We Love

Sauron's Ring

Validated User
If you hate any of these books, start your own thread. :p

I personally love Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand. Is it for every VtM game? Of course not. But for some games I have ran, it's been amazing, with the gonzo, kitchen sink approach adding just the right touch of insanity.

manwhat

Thoroughly mediocre GM.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Reception of it was mixed and the classes in it weren't really great, but I really like the creativity of Magic of Incarnum for DnD3.5. It really used the various quirks of the system to create a new class/magic archetype that was something interesting.

The Totemist was usable as-is, but the Incarnate and Soulborn classes are best used by merging the two - give the Incarnate the BAB of the Soulborn and some of the other bennies.

Out of that, you get two unique classes on the cusp of tier-3/4, usually the ideal balance point.

Sauron's Ring

Validated User
Reception of it was mixed and the classes in it weren't really great, but I really like the creativity of Magic of Incarnum for DnD3.5. It really used the various quirks of the system to create a new class/magic archetype that was something interesting.

The Totemist was usable as-is, but the Incarnate and Soulborn classes are best used by merging the two - give the Incarnate the BAB of the Soulborn and some of the other bennies.

Out of that, you get two unique classes on the cusp of tier-3/4, usually the ideal balance point.
Yeah, my group found from like tiers 2-4 were the sweet spot, as long as the tier 2 players didn't do dumb shit.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have a strong fondness for D&D 3.5's Tome of Magic. The truenamer was utterly borked, but the binder was creepy, flavorful, and unique, and the shadowcaster wasn't bad. A bit weak, but if you want a spooky goth, no one and nothing does better than a shadowcaster.

I remember liking the concepts presented in Magic of Incarnum, but it's been so long since I read it I couldn't say more than that.

Dread Moores

He/him
Validated User
Mine is probably more a series of sourcebooks. The Jihad sourcebooks for Battletech were largely disliked (or outright hated) by the vocal portion of the fanbase that makes up the online Battletech community. As somebody who was beyond exhausted with the tired tropes of pre-Dark Age Battletech, I found the paradigm change in that particular metaplot/timeline to be rather lovely. I ran one mega-campaign that spanned a half-dozen players across nearly five years of online playtime, and it was easily the high point of my 20 year fandom with FASA/FanPro/CGL (and Battletech, in particular) before I finally left for greener pastures.

They offered up so many great possibilities to explore everything from massive, combined arms battalion battles to small-scale unit action. It certainly helped that the Warchest system was so much nicer than previous logistics systems and that rise of MegaMek at the time opened up Battletech play at a level that tabletop play couldn't match in anything resembling a timely fashion.

Davies

Validated User
I like the Book of Vile Darkness and Book of Exalted Deeds. No, not everything in them is well-considered, but enough is, particularly the advice on campaigns, that I think of them as important parts of the game.

Balac

Validated User
I have a strong fondness for D&D 3.5's Tome of Magic. The truenamer was utterly borked, but the binder was creepy, flavorful, and unique, and the shadowcaster wasn't bad. A bit weak, but if you want a spooky goth, no one and nothing does better than a shadowcaster.
Wasn't aware that Tome of Magic wasn't well liked, I absolutely loved the Binder. Yes the truenamer had a central problem of it's math not working but the idea was cool enough I've seen multiple better versions come out from 3rd party publishers.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dirty Seceret of the Bla....

If you hate any of these books, start your own thread. :p

I personally love Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand. Is it for every VtM game? Of course not. But for some games I have ran, it's been amazing, with the gonzo, kitchen sink approach adding just the right touch of insanity.
Damn it Tal'mahe'Ra'ed.

Sauron's Ring

Validated User

I remember liking the concepts presented in Magic of Incarnum, but it's been so long since I read it I couldn't say more than that.
Was it the Truenamer where like half the class was left out of the book, or am I thinking of something else?

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Was it the Truenamer where like half the class was left out of the book, or am I thinking of something else?
It was a complete class, just a very poorly-designed one. Their primary magical powers was based on a skill check, and therefore vulnerable to all sorts of skill-boosting cheese. However, the DC for said power was based on double the enemy's CR, and if you failed your first attempt, subsequent attempts suffered a cumulative -2 penalty.

Maybe it was just the gaming circles I moved in at the time, but I definitely remember Tome of Magic being disdained.

Top Bottom