ITT, We Post About Widely-Panned Sourcebooks We Love

Elph

Validated User
Actually i have not read teh Trad Book revised (something i should fix due to stellar reputation it had).
That bit was in the first Tradition book by Brucato (so it precedes the Revised Tradition Book).
Right, I looked it up and see the Revised Trad book just expands on what was already in the first Euthanatos book. Either way, good shit.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I really need to read Dirty Secrets some time cause I get the sense I'd like it. And from what flipping through of Synnibarr I've done, I'd definitely love to run a game of it. Too bad the attempt at a third edition got kind of messy, and that the author never did the sensible thing of making the two second edition books available somewhere as PDFs.

Sauron's Ring

Validated User
I really need to read Dirty Secrets some time cause I get the sense I'd like it. And from what flipping through of Synnibarr I've done, I'd definitely love to run a game of it. Too bad the attempt at a third edition got kind of messy, and that the author never did the sensible thing of making the two second edition books available somewhere as PDFs.
Synnibarr might be insane, but I contend it doesn't deserve to be on anybody's "Worst RPGs Ever" list, not when truly repugnant shit like FATAL and Racial Holy War exist,

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
I have a soft spot for TNE as well. Yes, there were wonky rules and general weirdness; yes, it was all so very, very 90s; yes, I can see why older fans didn't like the new universe. None of that was a deal breaker for me at the time (I was only about 12 too) and still isn't.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
3.5 Expanded Psionics Handbook was awesome. Made Psionics much better than 3.0, usable, powerful, but not as broken as the other two.
I thought 3.5 Psionics were generally well balanced, but at the time if you ever showed a book with the word "psionics" on the cover to an old-school D&D player/GM the immediate response was "BURN IT WITH FIRE!" before even reading the first page.

---

My own book I like that everyone seems to loathe is Earthdawn's Theran Empire. Yes, I hate a few of the country descriptions as much as the next person, but I really REALLY love both the Vasgothia and Thera chapters. Additionally, I thought the chapter on Creana was workable if not inspired and don't know enough about Indian history to lay a judgement on Indrisa (though it seemed iffy).

Jadasc

Validated User
I like Monte Cook’s World of Darkness — well, Chronicles of Darkness, really — and would love to see a second edition that brings it up to date.

ViciousMink

Validated User
I have a soft spot for TNE as well. Yes, there were wonky rules and general weirdness; yes, it was all so very, very 90s; yes, I can see why older fans didn't like the new universe. None of that was a deal breaker for me at the time (I was only about 12 too) and still isn't.
Arrival Vengeance is still one of the best supplements for any version of Traveller I've run into. It's totally on rails, but it has got some top-notch writing.

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
I really liked teh Exalted 1e Players Guide. But, I might be the only one, lol
You are definitely not. I still love that book - flawed as it was, it had so many incredibly cool concepts that were the inspiration for so many memorable Pc:s and NPC:s alike.

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
Arrival Vengeance is still one of the best supplements for any version of Traveller I've run into. It's totally on rails, but it has got some top-notch writing.
It's one of my favourite published campaigns, rails and all. MT rather than TNE, but very much intended as a bridge between the settings. (Right down to the preview advert for TNE in the book.) I think it helped that I was into Star Trek at the time, with it being focused on the crew of a big ship rather than the traditional Traveller model.

Top Bottom