ITT, We Post About Widely-Panned Sourcebooks We Love

Ariketh

Validated User
Complete Book of Elves? I don't know how widely panned it was in the community as a whole, but the non-elf fanboys in my gaming groups were less than excited about it. (There were only a couple of us who really loved it.)

Tome of Battle, definitely.

Monte Cook's World of Darkness. While the mechanics are something I'd never use, I'm currently using the Intrusion in my current CofD game, even though I split it up between nine different locations.

Does D&D4e as an entire edition count? Aside from myself, I personally know one person who likes it. I know there are die hard fans out there, but I don't know any offline.

I also liked 3.5 EPH. That said, it could be abused horribly. Well placed domes of fire (per wall of energy) is devastating in the right circumstances.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Well, there is the whole being-an-abuser baked into the concept, and that the author himself has been outed as an abuser and rapist with an interest in normalizing such behavior. It would be awfully difficult to separate out what might be good ideas from that.
Not really. I mean, the thing that got me interested was the idea of a book that allowed one to play any number of mythical creatures. The fact that what we GOT was "creepy otherkin: the horribleness" doesn't mean I'm not still in the market for such a game, and going by some folks it isn't so difficult to repitch what's there.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
I really like Beast: The Primordial and think you can do really great things with it. This is, needless to say, an extremely controversial opinion.
I was doing a modern Exalted and thinking about how to bring monsters into the modern world and then Beast came along. The perfect antagonist!

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I was doing a modern Exalted and thinking about how to bring monsters into the modern world and then Beast came along. The perfect antagonist!
They work great as antagonists and protagonists both, there’s so much to do with dangerous entities that are props for narrative causality and warp reality to reflect nightmares.

It’s also what I’d use, at least as a base, to run something based on Grimm

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Not really. I mean, the thing that got me interested was the idea of a book that allowed one to play any number of mythical creatures. The fact that what we GOT was "creepy otherkin: the horribleness" doesn't mean I'm not still in the market for such a game, and going by some folks it isn't so difficult to repitch what's there.
I think you COULD do that with it, but then again you can do that as easily with Vampire. Heck the core sourcebook has someone traumatized by a vampire bite go to a counselor to try to get help...only the vampires have gotten to the counselor too and use her to point the victim at other vampires. It’s horrifying and deeply fracked up in a creepily realistic way for monsters with mind control and addictive blood.

And I like that the setup doesn’t let you do the vampire thing and pretend you aren’t hurting people to live. (Live on blood packs? Hospitals are always short blood for transfusion and surgeries...) Instead you need to deal with it one way or another, which is a good built in conflict.

And it’s also something you can dial back if your group isn’t comfortable with it, just pick hungers that are easier to manage and keep the story from going into places that will upset them.

Last edited:

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
And I like that the setup doesn’t let you do the vampire thing and pretend you aren’t hurting people to live. (Live in blood packs?
I also like that viable feeding methods encompass actions that in humans would range from being considered punishable to reprehensible to tolerable to acceptable to laudable.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I also like that viable feeding methods encompass actions that in humans would range from being considered punishable to reprehensible to tolerable to acceptable to laudable.
Definitely.

And then I’m really fascinated by the mythic roles, and how the Beasts and Heroes have both been recruited to play out their parts with no regard for what it does to them.

It reminds me of Witches Abroad, or for that matter the Mirror phenomenon from the Night Watch series.

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
I think you COULD do that with it, but then again you can do that as easily with Vampire. Heck the core sourcebook has someone traumatized by a vampire bite go to a counselor to try to get help...only the vampires have gotten to the counselor too and use her to point the victim at other vampires. It’s horrifying and deeply fracked up in a creepily realistic way for monsters with mind control and addictive blood.

And I like that the setup doesn’t let you do the vampire thing and pretend you aren’t hurting people to live. (Live on blood packs? Hospitals are always short blood for transfusion and surgeries...) Instead you need to deal with it one way or another, which is a good built in conflict.

And it’s also something you can dial back if your group isn’t comfortable with it, just pick hungers that are easier to manage and keep the story from going into places that will upset them.
Fun fact from Real Life:
Selling your own blood is legal in the US. Any sort of medical qualification will allow you to buy it too.
There is a trade in near to it's use by date blood sold cheaply to ensure it actually gets used, rather than disposed of as medical waste.

This message has been brought to you by What's The Colour Of Money? and someone who likes playing Friendly Neighbourhood Vampires far too much not to find every damn legal loophole they can in the morality based dietary restrictions of WoD.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Fun fact from Real Life:
Selling your own blood is legal in the US. Any sort of medical qualification will allow you to buy it too.
There is a trade in near to it's use by date blood sold cheaply to ensure it actually gets used, rather than disposed of as medical waste.

This message has been brought to you by What's The Colour Of Money? and someone who likes playing Friendly Neighbourhood Vampires far too much not to find every damn legal loophole they can in the morality based dietary restrictions of WoD.
That is interesting and very handy to know.

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
That is interesting and very handy to know.
Oddly, I originally found this out through an American charity publication offering various ways of making money without a job, and was mildly horrified by what I thought of as a cyberpunk fictional motif for literal bloodsucking capitalism being a reality in the US.

When I went looking for low impact diet options for a V:tM PC with a paramedic's credentials, I found out about the trade in near use by date blood, and came to the conclusion that it might be possible to find a way to keep a vampire that doesn't want to hurt anyone fed after all.

From what I can recall from seeking the opinions of ST from various versions of WoD rulings on it, if it works at all, it's not fast food diet, in that the vampire has to consume a lot of that variety of blood source to survive, so eating breakfast may take a while, and doesn't taste that great, but nobody gets bitten in the process.

Still, it's a slightly less unpleasant diet than eating live rats if one is attempting to play a bloodsucker without being a threat to human society, and usually reasonably well screened for various blood transmissible infections, toxins and drugs if one is trying to avoid unknown 'food additives' as well.

Top Bottom