• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

ITT, We Post About Widely-Panned Sourcebooks We Love

Allandaros

Validated Parking
Validated User
I don't know that it's hitting the "widely panned" zone, but I remember the reception Renegade Crowns got around these parts to be pretty lukewarm.

It's one of my favorite RPG supplements, with some very handy tables and setting design tools, and continues to get me excited to make and run something.

The Benj

Validated User
Appreciation of it as a whole (there were some awkward bits, like some of the PrCs and the Weapons of Legend tie-in) basically boiled down to whether the person reading understood class tiers and 3.5's balance issues, or not.
Yes, I love the concept, it was the mechanics that sucked.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I'm not that aware of panned stuff beyond some 3.5e D&D things (and mostly because this thread is mentioning them):

Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum. +1 to liking these things despite any flaws (or just any fan-hate). Cool flavor; most of their stuff got updated (and improved) to Pathfinder 1e because lots of people agree.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords is one of my favorites. I'm also a fan of the apparently obscure Heroes of Battle and Miniatures Handbook books that came out in the same era.

Kremlin KOA

Sarcastic Cripple
Validated User
I remember a lot of people hating the Old W;tA Book of the Weaver, Book of the Wyrm, and Freak Legion.
I loved Book of the Weaver for the sudden gut punch horror. And the Wyrmy books were amazing for how vile the bad guys were.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords is one of my favorites. I'm also a fan of the apparently obscure Heroes of Battle and Miniatures Handbook books that came out in the same era.
Tome of Battle was less universally panned, and more a book that had ardent fans and vociferous detractors.

Also, you're right about Miniatures Handbook being obscure, though I also liked it. IIRC while it was officially a 3.5 book, it seemed to be written like a 3.0 book that the transition to 3.5 hadn't fully been implemented on.

Sauron's Ring

Validated User
I remember a lot of people hating the Old W;tA Book of the Weaver, Book of the Wyrm, and Freak Legion.
I loved Book of the Weaver for the sudden gut punch horror. And the Wyrmy books were amazing for how vile the bad guys were.
Those books were panned? I like them, along with the Book of the Wyld.

Top Bottom