• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I've lost my mojo...

artikid

passerby
Validated User
Sometimes, for various reasons: bad gaming, too much gaming, no gaming at all, repetitive games. It comes and goes and it's annoying.
It usually helps me out not to get fixated with it.

g33k

Validated User
I've walked away from my only gaming-group, with no other gaming in sight, because it was Bad Gaming.

Never went back (to that group).

g33k

Validated User
... I am wondering if it is due to my primary gaming outlet for the last several years being the after school weekly gaming group I have been running at out local public library. Let's just say that it has been 'Bad Gaming" in almost every conceivable form. Nearly every gaming sin that has been raised on the forums has happened at the table ...
Sounds like your own gut-check says this is the origin and/or crux of the problem; I think you should listen to yourself on this! My personal experience, and talking to friends and relatives, suggests that these instincts are rarely mistaken. By all means, take a break.

If the existence of this group is something you'd like to support, maybe ID one (or a few) individual(s) who seem to have enthusiasm and systems-knowledge, and ask them to Step Up to run some games, as you are kind of burned out for a while. Or just let the group know you're burned out, and if they want to continue they need new blood to organize it (and do whatever library-interface needs doing), run games, etc.

Also -- maybe as just a thought-experiment, but maybe to act on (maybe after a brief break?) -- consider this: can you imagine enjoying a RPG with just a few (maybe 2-3) specific members of the group? Are they "severable" from the group, in that they don't have a likely-problem BFF / romantic partner / sidekick /etc who'd automatically come along, if you tried to launch a spin-off group?

Faethor

Validated User
I've walked away from my only gaming-group, with no other gaming in sight, because it was Bad Gaming.

Never went back (to that group).
Oh crap... Reading that made me recall that I've done that before as well...

Alter_Boy

Post Anything
Validated User
Dave: I've been there, where you're trying to hold together a group that's just not working. I don't know your exact experience, but for me, it got to a point where half the group didn't want to play with the other half... but still expected me to run the game. They were so engrossed in the world, stories and their characters, they begrudged the actual social interaction that we had come together for. The weirdest thing was that all the players knew each other socially in other areas (I rarely met them outside of D&D), but when there were problems between players, I had to solve it at the table at the cost of game-time, when they could have done it when they were hanging out the night before. Eventually, I called it quits, and they started playing in a game run by a DM who actively encouraged the kind of toxic interactions I futilely tried to steer them away from.

Dave, it sounds like you had good intentions for doing this, and I don't think you failed them. It sounds like they failed themselves. If you got into this for altruistic reasons, consider removing yourself from the situation so that you can be ready for a group that will benefit from you. This current group will either dissolve or find a homeostasis of like-minds that will be happier playing the game they want.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Taking a break is a good suggestion. Another thing that might rekindle interest is trying a different kind of gaming. You could take a look at the Roleplay-By-Post Forums and see if that kind of gaming would interest you, as an alternative to tabletop.

Alban

Validated User
I feel the same, but I know why.
It's simply because I got bored by countless short-lived campaigns and (many of which didn't go beyond one session or even character creation).
Great part of my pleasure as a GM comes from creating rules and settings and using them in-game, but I felt less and less interest from players for them. One campaign even ended when a player basically said he wanted to go back to the city where the previous campaign of the game we were playing took place. Others agreed to leave the place, but each took a different direction... Well, that means at least one player had fond memory of that previous campaign. :D
I could try to join other groups, but I don't really enjoy being a player, the number of existing games I want to GM is rather limited, and I feel like my own creations are in fact rather crappy and I feel uncomfortable with the idea to present them to new players.

threshold

Validated User
All great suggestions.

Dont get too bummed out about it. Take all the time you need, it'll tap you on the shoulder again and you'll find another group. This happens to me from time to time, and I just go with it. Gaming becomes obsessive very quickly, when interest wanes, I see it as life telling me its time to focus on other things.

Read, write, travel, learn challenge yourself with new pursuits. You'll be amazed at how much new life experience finds it's way into your gaming or GMing.

Peace

Top Bottom