• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I've lost my mojo...

filigree

or thereabouts
Validated User
I have walked away from tabletop RPGs for years at a time because of toxic people (and therefore toxic situations), yes.

In the end, it’s a great hobby, but only one of many. Time can be well spent elsewise.

Like every other shared activity in life, it’s mostly down to who’s involved. So, make sure you’re gaming with the right people.

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
I am wondering if it is due to my primary gaming outlet for the last several years being the after school weekly gaming group I have been running at out local public library. Let's just say that it has been 'Bad Gaming" in almost every conceivable form. Nearly every gaming sin that has been raised on the forums has happened at the table.

It has just sucked the fun out of the hobby for me. I just don't want to game any more. Has this happened to anyone else?
It took me around two decades to realize that the people I gamed with was more important than the game I was playing. If it isn't fun why would you keep doing it. It seems so reasonable after the fact, but during you keep saying to yourself, "but at least I'm still gaming". Bad gaming destroys your interest in gaming little by little, game by game. I think that's why there are a lot of lapsed and collector gamers. Better to buy books and read than to destroy your hobby interest completely.

Good luck with what ever you do though,
Hotel California Staff.

Cross Planes

Validated User
Two things:

1) several years ago I realized no gaming was better than bad gaming. I took a break. When I finally came back, I actually found groups who wanted to be friends (not gaming buddies) and were decent people.

2) I have anxiety, and recently it got worse and affected gaming first and then everything. As you get older your biochemstry changes and that can affect your mood.

I hope it's the former and not the latter.

Malrex

Validated User
My interest in RPGs and gaming in general has pretty much taken a noes dive off a cliff recently.

I'm not quite sure why, but have pretty much no interest in painting miniatures, rolling dice, reading rulebooks, making characters, writing adventures, etc. All the stuff about this hobby that kept me going through a lot of dark times. Actually playing was always a secondary part of the hobby for me as finding good groups was hit or miss. But there was plenty in the hobby outside of that.

I am wondering if it is due to my primary gaming outlet for the last several years being the after school weekly gaming group I have been running at out local public library. Let's just say that it has been 'Bad Gaming" in almost every conceivable form. Nearly every gaming sin that has been raised on the forums has happened at the table.

It has just sucked the fun out of the hobby for me. I just don't want to game any more. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sounds like you need a break for sure. And that's ok! I think it happens to everyone. I did nothing with gaming for several years, then came back with a vengeance. Bad gaming can suck the fun out of the hobby. The cool thing, is the hobby is always going to be there because no one can take away your imagination.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I dropped the library group and already that is helping.
Much as I'm a believer in trying to come up with a game to keep the people that, fundamentally, are who you have to work with, trying to continue running games for people you really don't want to be running for is, by its nature, morale breaking.

Tobey Twofoot

I'm returning to rpg's after a somewhat extended absence of 10 years or so. While I haven't been playing, I HAVE been keeping up on the industry in areas that interest me, so I am not totally out of the loop...

As to the theme of this thread...

Sometimes we just need a change. Assuming the OP isn't dealing with stuff like death of a loved one, onset of clinical depression, or other emotional/body chemistry-related challenges (which is better addressed by a medical professional rather than a bunch of folks on an internet hobby forum), then it could just be that the OP is needing to "move on" into something else. This might be a different group that more closely fits his "sweet spot" in gaming, a group that he connects with better socially, or perhaps a completely different hobby. Over the years I have had some fairly disparate hobbies, ranging from rpg's to backpacking to motorcycle touring to ham radio to bowling. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from one hobby for a while and pursuing another.

Be well, all.

Tobey Twofoot

Much as I'm a believer in trying to come up with a game to keep the people that, fundamentally, are who you have to work with, trying to continue running games for people you really don't want to be running for is, by its nature, morale breaking.
There is some wisdom here. It doesn't matter how much the rest of the group is enjoying things, if you are miserable. It has to be mutually beneficial to everyone in order for it to be a success.

Funkadelic

The Enemy of All That Rocks
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My interest in RPGs and gaming in general has pretty much taken a noes dive off a cliff recently.

I'm not quite sure why, but have pretty much no interest in painting miniatures, rolling dice, reading rulebooks, making characters, writing adventures, etc. All the stuff about this hobby that kept me going through a lot of dark times. Actually playing was always a secondary part of the hobby for me as finding good groups was hit or miss. But there was plenty in the hobby outside of that.

I am in that place myself. I have been GMing in meat-space for my group for a number of years and found that it isn't really what I want from gaming. I'm taking a break from GMing. Now I'm playing on PbB and one of my players is running a game in real life. Part of what I've realized is that I need to cultivate a gaming space I feel comfortable in. I haven't found it yet, but I hope during the break I'm taking from GMing I'll find something more to my liking.

Unfortunately it seems like I have weird tastes and I have been very depressed finding groups but I remain hopeful that there is something out there for me.

Top Bottom