• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I've seen The Hobbit.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Well, they just escaped from the goblin town.
Pretty much what I expected. I'm actually surprised that I didn't dislike it more.

Some good bits. The Gollum sequence. Radagast exploring Dol Guldur. Bilbo himself was excellent.

Lots of bad bits. The Necromancer himself was a boring bit of CGI. Not scary at all, after the Nazgul.
All the added stuff in Rivendell with the white council. When PJ adds stuff, it's pretty insipid.
Azog, Boring villain. The Goblin King was both entertaining and frightening at the same time. Azog was just a bag of orc muscles with a grudge. *yawn*

The worst was all the action scenes. They played out like a 6 year old buzzed out of his gourd on Jolt Cola wrote them. Or acted them out with action figures while screaming and jumping around. Terrible pacing. No excitement. No tension. By the time they escaped the goblins and then Azog showed up, I was like Oh fuck, not more of this shit.

Oh, Gandalf just summoned the Eagles. Way to retroactivley put a hole in the LOTR movies.

Too long, by far. Terrible pacing. Some good scenes, but a lot of meh in between.

I did like the goblin scribe guy in the cage. He's my favorite character. :D

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Jesus Christ, the fandom's never going to let the fucking eagles thing go, are they?
Oh, apparently that's what was meant by the eagles putting a hole in Lord of the Rings. Wondered what I missed there. Blotted it out since the argument was long since settled that the prideful eagles would've been easily corrupted by the Ring, so it was never, ever an option, which should be readily apparent.

Other than that, the action scenes were one of the big problems with the film. Particularly anything with Azog. The film was too long and the plot meandering.

Baulderstone

Validated User
I liked the movie okay, but Azog was the weakest part of it. I can see the sense in creating a recurring Orc character, but he just wasn't particularly interesting in execution.

Edit: Also. I agree that people need to let the eagle thing go.

seneschal

Banned
Much as I enjoyed the movie, Jackson is clearly padding things out in a big way. Some of the extra plot lines were extrapolated from brief sentences or phrases from the book. However, the whole Rivendell conspiracy to stop the dwarves was made up whole cloth. Most of the Radagast material was made up, too, but at least he was entertaining.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
Wondered what I missed there. Blotted it out since the argument was long since settled that the prideful eagles would've been easily corrupted by the Ring, so it was never, ever an option, which should be readily apparent.
Even worse, imagine what would have happened if one had simply flown into Mordor:

Eagles launch.
Three hours later they enter Mordor airspace.
Ten seconds later Sauron sees them with his great eye.
It takes approximately another ten minutes for ringwraiths on fell beasts to scramble for intercept.
There's an aerial dogfight, the eagles lose hard.
Angmar recovers the ring from the fallen body of a hobbit that was riding an eagle.

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, the eagle thing is sort of an anti-plothole: it's a failure by the person bringing it up to think things through.

Gideon

Validated User
Even worse, imagine what would have happened if one had simply flown into Mordor:

Eagles launch.
Three hours later they enter Mordor airspace.
Ten seconds later Sauron sees them with his great eye.
It takes approximately another ten minutes for ringwraiths on fell beasts to scramble for intercept.
There's an aerial dogfight, the eagles lose hard.
Angmar recovers the ring from the fallen body of a hobbit that was riding an eagle.
I'd watch the British '50s version of this. Gandalf could have had this outlandish plan to fly the hobbits in by eagle, and manages to convince the White Council to let them try. They make a mock up of Mount Doom in Rivendell and practice flying through the awkward terrain at night and working out exactly what height and angle to release the hobbits. Then a few days before the raid they find out that the hobbits have all put on weight from the food at Rivendell, and they have to make last minute recalculations.

Monsieur Meuble

Furniture warlord
Validated User
The eagles are airplanes and if the good guys have air superiority, they can win everything against the bad guy because they are closer to God and Reagan.

Tom Cruise wins the war against Ennemykistan by himself in Top Gun, ergo the Eagles are the solution to everything. QED.

...as long as you ignore that the eagles are not props but characters and that air superiority isn't function of morality, both axioms that are safely absent from the land of big movies, where riding animals is exactly like using a car or a motorcycle, and where morality (or, more precisely, protagonisthood) is the driving force behind every physical reaction.

Top Bottom