• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIR] Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon Thread 12)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Act #2: Ami, Sailor Mercury.

Faster pace, eh?
The manga certainly is.

As for me, I just happened to have two chapters saved up before posting. I'm actually about to embark on a murderous work weekend, so I'll hardly be able to even post until (looks like) Tuesday.

And once again, I'm reading alongside your posts, and well, the manga is somehow more adorable and so much darker than the anime.
The monsters are so much more inhuman, and the magic less controllable. And yet, as you say, there's the adorable factor as well. I love the way Takeuchi draws Usagi when she's angry at Mamoru for calling her buns "bumps". "They're called BUNS!" :mad: And Ami's blushes are darling, too.

Mamoru's character design feels a little less… "safe", I guess, in the manga, then the design they used in the anime. Like, he's not a decent-looking chap, he's a ladykiller with arresting eyes. For that matter, with both boys and girls, Takeuchi likes to draw 'em pouting, or pursing their lips as they frown or gasp, or touching things near their lips. It's like she's announcing, "I want you to imagine make-outs with this character!"

Boco

Genderless entity
Validated User

I'm kind of afraid to say it because once you see it you'll never unsee it ever, but...

And she grows out of it in a few volumes but........

Spoiler: Show
Takeuchi always draws everybody with one eye closed. All the time!

Oh hey by the way, since you can't read the spoiler thread. A new Sailormoon Musical is going on later this year! And it's a reboot that follows the Dark Kingdom story, so no spoilers like in the other musicals! And it has an all-female cast, including the Shitennou and Tuxedo Kamen!

Last edited:

Edvarius

Validated User
Re: Act #1: Usagi, Sailor Moon.

Demon: "And just how do you pronounce ☪?"
That's a very good question.
Usagi: /wilts. "…I have no idea…"
That just raises further questions!

Anyway, nice to have you back. I like the little detail in the comic you drew of gravity still apparently being a harsh mistress for Usagi, as well as Rei's and Usagi's shirts.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Yeah, SJ's back in action !

Love the little comic : tons of great body language.

So, er, yeah, the manga. I'll acknowledge it outright : I'm not a fan. I won't mention the issues I have with the plotting and characterization yet, so let's talk about the artwork. Takeuchi rarely bothers with backgrounds (often preferring abstract patterns), but somehow the layouts still feel a bit claustrophobic (too many close shots, maybe ?). And all her faces kinda look the same... Even this "upgraded edition" (which was released in Japan in 2003, concurrently with the live-action series) isn't much of an improvement.

The one striking thing with her artwork, though, is how creepy the monsters (and some other details) are. There are some images as early as the Dark Kingdom arc that were pure nightmare fuel for a young teenage me. The manga universe feels a lot more threatening than its slightly sanitized anime counterpart.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I'm kind of afraid to say it because once you see it you'll never unsee it ever, but...

And she grows out of it in a few volumes but........

Takeuchi always draws everybody with one eye closed. All the time!
;) I have observed she does do this ;) an awful[/i ]lot. ;)

Last edited:

RoadsOfShadow

Validated User

Love the little comic : tons of great body language.
I was a little too giddy to pay that close of attention the first time, but this bears repeating. Thats a masterful little comic SJ.

The one striking thing with her artwork, though, is how creepy the monsters (and some other details) are. There are some images as early as the Dark Kingdom arc that were pure nightmare fuel for a young teenage me. The manga universe feels a lot more threatening than its slightly sanitized anime counterpart.
I've noticed that too, and its not just the monsters. Everything feels just a little... more so? It might be a difference in medium more than anything, but the details feel more commanding, the characters feel more forceful, and seem a bit more present, I get what your saying with the face shapes, but I missed it at first sense most things seem just more exacting and personal around it.

That might just be me, or again, the art style differences from divergent mediums.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User

Never liked the manga as much as the anime, but nonetheless I'm grinning in sheer glee at this. :D

JohnBiles

Validated User

Something which is both a strength and weakness of the manga is that it's pretty tight. Especially for a manga it's tight. Takeuchi has none of the bad habits of something like Bleach. Her fights are focused, go quickly and never drag on forever and ever amen. Her villains show up and then die quickly and generally stay dead. The pressure cooker of having to churn it out at high speed kept her eyes on the prize.

Conversely, there's problems from that I won't talk about as it involves spoiling stuff.

Glad to see Shadowjack back in action and I'll be interested to see his take on the manga as it goes along! Now I have to go to the other thread and comment too :)

(And I loved the cartoon!)

Kintatsu

Validated User

You know, I gotta admit, after the first three volumes, I actually preferred the manga. It tends to make more sense. Also, Saturn. Who manages to be even more ridiculously awesome.

Anyone know when the sidestories are coming out, if ever?

Last edited:

Boco

Genderless entity
Validated User

I was surprised to find an advertisement for the first three volumes in the back of volume 12 instead of an ad for the two sidestory volumes, yeah. Maybe that's a misprint? Does a series really need to advertise that it exists when you're reading volume 12 of it?

Top Bottom