• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIR] Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon Thread 12)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It might just be an artifact of less exposure so far, but she seems a little more distant from much of the 'normal' world.
Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine TV!Rei being seriously accused of witchcraft, unless, like, she accidentally starts fires or something. But manga!Rei from her first appearance is depicted as standing astride the spirit world. She's not all here. It makes her worldly tsundere moments stand out.

Usagi too come to think of it, its looks like its just Naru at school, her family is still, well her family, but the pacing is so tight we don't ever see them.
So far, Usagi feels more…*delicate. Like, TV!Usagi could take a header into a doorway and come up crying but all right. Manga!Usagi would break, or shy off from the door apologetically. She's growing fast, though.

Ami seems to change the least, but I think she might be a hair less hyper-focused on her goals.
Manga!Ami seems a lot more chipper around her friends; not so quiet and uncertain. We're still a ways from the chapter where they visit her apartment, but that scene's stuck with me. (They've got this magic sword and try the scratch test to make some guesses at the material. It shreds the diamond they borrowed for the test. Ami, literally, laughs it off. "Oh, we have lots of those around the house, don't worry." Everybody else stares at her.) I'm beginning to think that manga!Ami and TV!Minako would get along swell; Mina thinks up the crazy plans, and Ami develops them.

And, yeah, so far Luna hasn't seemed as motherly…*but then again, in the TV series at this point she was still an exasperated babysitter.

The fact that I once spent a little to long learning about the diamond trade has nothing to do with. At all.
When I reviewed my TV episode write up for this one, I remembered that I'd had Usagi trying to figure out just what country Kingdom D was supposed to be - and wondering whether this meant blood diamonds or what? Perhaps D has a monopoly on advanced synthesis techniques. Print-on-demand 3D diamond printing in gemstone quality.

*I frequently have West Side Story on the brain, my apologies for the confusion, but "Be Cool" is on repeat in my head more often than I like to admit... And well, I can't be the only one to think that Luna's current mantra, can I?
*imagining a bunch of youkai dancing around Sailor Moon singing "Gee, Officer Krupke"*

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Mom: Now make sure you give a nice big smile when the news crews arrive.
Usagi: I know, Mom.
Mom: And make sure you call me on your gizmophone if you're going to be out fighting evil so I can come up with excuses for your teacher.
Usagi: I know, Mom.
Mom: And it's going to be cold out, so if any monsters attack I want you to make sure to wear a warm coat and pants with your costume.
Usagi: Moooooom...
Mom: Oh yes, and I picked up these little pads for you and your friends in case the villains are a little extra scary.
Usagi: /looks for a rock to crawl under.
EGS is oddly appropriate in this situation...

sun_tzu

Validated User
It occurs that the ending of "Codename: Sailor V" may have somewhat colored people's reactions to Tuxedo Kamen. :eek:

Edvarius

Validated User
Huh, that's a really good point. The last masked vigilante that aided the heroine the moon cats have had experience with turned out to be a Dark Kingdom lieutenant with a grudge. It came across as a bit paranoid to me before, but thinking of it like that the skepticism makes a whole lot of sense.

That actually is probably what planted the "call home so we can plan excuses" idea at least.

Last edited:

JohnBiles

Validated User
Tsukino Residence
Coffee and the morning paper.

Mom: "Oh boy! Usa—I MEAN Sailor Moon-chan has solved another case!"
Mom: /secures clipping for her scrapbook.
Mom: "Hmm, it also says here that Princess D of the Kingdom of D is revealing the mysterious D Jewel to the D, I mean, Japanese public. Cool."
And ruled by Vampire Hunter D!

Luna: "Umino must be late, too."
Naru: "He asked me to fill in for him."
No doubt researching for his later appearance.

Luna: "But what I have not told them, is my concerns and my hopes regarding Usagi. For I believe that Fate would have led me to the most important member of the team first—that the first Sailor I found would be destined to become the team leader!"
Luna: "…And the future team leader is currently sitting on her ass playing video games! GRAARGH! Dammit, Fate! What am I supposed to do with these lemons?"
Cave Johnson: "All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons; what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down... with the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!'"

Umino: "I just happen to have a poster-sized picture of Princess D right here!"
Luna: "…why?"
Ami: "Naru's gonna kill you."

The Princess looks uncomfortably like Umino in drag, bottle glasses and all.
Now imagining a version of this where the princess really is Umino in drag and I can't stop laughing.

Tuxedo Mask bursts in, dramatically!

Tuxedo Mask: "Darkness must be opposed by light!"
Usagi: "Why did you even leave if you were just going to—?"
He took a bunch of 'at the start of the encounter' powers, clearly. So he had to leave to make it a new encounter for him.

At least in the couple of volumes I've read, manga Rei is a lot less fiesty hothead and a lot more Proper Samurai Lady. She does have fire, but she keeps it banked most of the time. (Both Usagi and battle can make her temper come out, but even then she trends more towards Paladin's Rebuke rather than Charisma Break.)

So I decided to have her talk like Sir Frog instead of PFC Vasquez. (With the exception that I at least make an effort to use thou/thy/thee/thine properly.)
Imagining Rei talking like Sgt. Frog, and I can't stop laughing at that either.

RoadsOfShadow

Validated User
So far, Usagi feels more…*delicate. Like, TV!Usagi could take a header into a doorway and come up crying but all right. Manga!Usagi would break, or shy off from the door apologetically. She's growing fast, though.
I think that this might have the same basic root as what I was talking about, Usagi is at her best, her most confident, her most hopeful, her happiest when she is surrounded by those she loves. So far... she seems more, well alone; but with the other sailors so quickly flocking to her, that has begun to change. She's still a while away from where so was even at say, the end of the first season (before the siege of Leng) but I think she might just get there sooner.

Manga!Ami seems a lot more chipper around her friends; not so quiet and uncertain. We're still a ways from the chapter where they visit her apartment, but that scene's stuck with me. (They've got this magic sword and try the scratch test to make some guesses at the material. It shreds the diamond they borrowed for the test. Ami, literally, laughs it off. "Oh, we have lots of those around the house, don't worry." Everybody else stares at her.) I'm beginning to think that manga!Ami and TV!Minako would get along swell; Mina thinks up the crazy plans, and Ami develops them.

And, yeah, so far Luna hasn't seemed as motherly…*but then again, in the TV series at this point she was still an exasperated babysitter.
Hum, yes, she certainly seems happier, but I think a lot of that comes from just starting not quiet as unhappy. She didn't have any more friends, she might well have fewer depending on the state of the Obscure Ami Friend Plot Key in the manga, but she seems less, for lack of a better term, shunned. Usagi was still one of, if not the first to step up and decide she wanted to be friends, but she didn't have to deal with as much hateful envy and jealousy.

Possibly related, Ami is just so much more expressive here, she emotes more and more distinctly, in the anime, for all her kindness ice seemed befitting as her element, it was only ever harsh to her enemies, but there was a coldness there.

When I reviewed my TV episode write up for this one, I remembered that I'd had Usagi trying to figure out just what country Kingdom D was supposed to be - and wondering whether this meant blood diamonds or what? Perhaps D has a monopoly on advanced synthesis techniques. Print-on-demand 3D diamond printing in gemstone quality.
Now THAT would be cool. The D Kingdom, or is it the The Kingdom of D? Is just... strange. There just there the low level incidental reminder that this is a word familiar, but not quiet our own. Nothing to dramatic or inescapable is unknown, but the little things are everywhere a constant reminder that this is another world, a place of wonders and horrors, of old magic and new dreams.

Or, you know, a throwaway plot device. :D Whichever. :cool:

*imagining a bunch of youkai dancing around Sailor Moon singing "Gee, Officer Krupke"*
Oh gods, its spreading! :p

Getting back to the chapter for a moment, I never realized how much I missed the Crown Arcade until it came back.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
JohnBiles said:
Now imagining a version of this where the princess really is Umino in drag and I can't stop laughing.
Given the reveal at the end, I guess this means he wears the glasses deliberately to look butch!

He took a bunch of 'at the start of the encounter' powers, clearly. So he had to leave to make it a new encounter for him.
Precisely.

Imagining Rei talking like Sgt. Frog, and I can't stop laughing at that either.
Y'know, I love the manga, but I've never seen the anime. It's still a funny idea though.

(Wait, so Usagi is Tamama? Eep! Now I'm scared!)

Autochton

Robot in Disguise
Validated User
Given the reveal at the end, I guess this means he wears the glasses deliberately to look butch!
Umino the bishōnen? Maybe his hair becomes long and flowing as well when he doffs the glasses. It's been known to happen to similar characters!

Top Bottom