• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIR] Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon Thread 12)

Boco

Genderless entity
Validated User
It occurs that the ending of "Codename: Sailor V" may have somewhat colored people's reactions to Tuxedo Kamen. :eek:
Sailor V actually ended after Sailormoon did. It started before but was published irregularly in a different magazine.

Or, do you mean in-universe? Right now I'm pretty sure they're happening at the same time.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Act #5: Makoto, Sailor Jupiter

Walking to School in the Morning
Usagi: "I keep having weird dreams, where there's this guy who I can't quite recognize, and I feel all funny inside, and—"
Luna: "I REALLY do not want to have this conversation."
Usagi: "What conversation do you want to have?"
Luna: "The one where I tell you that you need to think ahead more, live more cautiously, do more things for yourself."
Usagi: "Oh. Like, walking on my own feet, instead of riding on someone's shoulder, sort of thing?"
Luna: "It's RAINING and I don't have THUMBS!"
Usagi: "Why don't you just say you're worried about me and Tuxedo Mask?"
Luna: "I AM worried about you and Tuxedo Mask! Until we know more about him, you should keep away from him."
Usagi: "But I don't know how I'm not keeping away from him! We just seem to keep tripping over each other."

Pause.

Luna: "Huh. I kind of expected something to happen there."
Usagi: "All I know about him is that he makes me feel… he makes he feel like…"
Luna: "NO SINGING!"
Usagi: ♫ Tuxedooooo! I've just met a guy named Tuxedooo! And suddenly I've found, how beautiful a sound that— ♫
Luna: "CAR! USAGI! CAR!"
Speeding Car: ?!
Luna: ?!
Usagi: ?!

A Transport of Delight
Suddenly!

A strong young woman: /daring last-minute SAVE!
Usagi: !
A strong young woman: "Be more careful, hon!"

Usagi examines the young woman as she turns to leave. The girl is tall, powerful, with long, flowing red hair, beautiful earrings, a delicate fragrance…

Luna: "For goodness sake, do you check out EVERYONE you meet?"
Usagi: /blushes. "No! Only some of them! What's wrong with that? I'm at a difficult age!"

Meanwhile
The strong young woman: /dares Usagi's school to do its worst.

Girl Talk
Naru: "—and so because my cousin couldn't show up to the fitting, I got to try on the wedding dresses in her place, and here's the pictures!"
Usagi and Bitchy Girl: /SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Usagi: "But wait, why couldn't she come?"
Naru: /guiltily mumbles. "…'cause her fiancé has gone missing and she's fallen mysteriously ill and…"
Usagi: "And so we're focusing on the bridal fantasy to avoid facing harsh reality!"
Naru: "Yes, exactly!"
Bitchy Grl: "Yeah, isn't there a saying that something like this is actually good luck before a wedding, or something something?"
Usagi: "Sure, okay!"
Naru: "Yeah!"
All: "Oh, I wish I could be a bride!"
The strong young woman: /trips over them. "Oof! Watch it!"

Say, Who Was That?
Usagi: "I met her this morning!"
Naru: "Oh! So you know all about her? What's her name?"
Usagi: "…"
Umino: /appears. "Ah, yes, the Herculean new transfer student, Makoto Kino! Rumor has it she was kicked out of her previous school."
Usagi: "Thanks, Umino."

Teacher: "Hey, you, you're not in proper uniform!"
The strong young woman: "Didn't fit!"
Teacher: "Stand up straight when you're talking to me!"
The strong young woman: "'Kay." /stands up.
The strong young woman: …and up.
The strong young woman: …and up!
Teacher: "And, er… uh… hair dye and perms are strictly against dress code!"
The strong young woman: "It's natural!"
Teacher: "And I'm not short at all!"
The strong young woman: "Never said you were!"
Teacher: "You haven't heard the last of me!"
The strong young woman: "Of course! You're my teacher!"
Teacher: "Argh!"

Bitchy Girl: "I think I see why she was kicked out of her last school."
Naru: "I think she has a point!"
Usagi: "I think it's lunch time!"

Lunchtime!
Usagi: "Hey, it's the new girl, eating alone."
Usagi: "Eating a delicious, nutritious, and artfully arranged hand-cooked meal!"
Usagi: "Out of a simply darling hand-made lunch bag!"
Usagi: "And it smells so good! And—"
The strong young woman: ?

Suddenly! On the nearby baseball diamond, someone hits a hard drive into the quad where the two girls are—and the ball is heading straight for Usagi's face!

The strong young woman: /casually snatches the ball out of mid-air and flings it far away. "Work on your aim, dumbass!"
Usagi: "…Wow! Thanks for saving my life again!"
The strong young woman: "Oh, hey, the spacey chick from before!
Usagi: /drools.
The strong young woman: "…Are you hungry, by any chance?"
Usagi: /reaches for the offered riceball. "Oh, golly, I'm not a big eater, really…"

A Minute Later
Usagi: /OM NOM NOM
Makoto Kino, for that is the strong young woman's name: "This is great! I don't know why nobody will talk to me, but since I'm living alone these days, kind of new in the area, I need someone to show me where the good shops are, need a good supermarket, and maybe if there's a game center—?"
Usagi: "Video games!"

Crown Arcade, After School
Usagi: "I've never seen that method of beating that boss!"
Makoto: "It's all about timing."
Ami: /just happening by. "I seem to have competition as an instructor!"
Luna: "Meow!"

Motoki: !
Motoki: /slicks back hair, adjusts ties.
Motoki: /suavely. "Hello! I'm Motoki Furuhata! You must another of Usagi's pretty friends. At the university they call me… Furu-chan."
Ami: /pfft!
Motoki: "What?"
Ami: "Nothing. Don't mind me."
Makoto: /grunts.
Luna: "Hmm, he never suavely introduced himself to Usagi. What does this other girl have that Usagi doesn't?"
Ami: "Adult development."
Luna: "Oh, right. You humans all look alike to me."
Usagi: "Furu-chan? THAT'S SO KAWAII DESU! Oo! I know! You could be Mako-chan, and then we'd all MATCH!"
Motoki: "Er…"
Makoto: "I am TRYING to PLAY VIDEO GAMES."

Ami: "Usagi really has no fear of others, does she?"
Luna: "Nope."
Ami: "She doesn't notice any of the subtext here, does she?"
Ami: "She's so focused on flirting with the two of them that she's completely forgotten about the Tuxedo Mask thing."
Luna: "Yep."
Ami: "Did you notice that Miss Kino has already taken a high level in our secret training game?"

Ami: "May I interrupt? I picked up a rumor. You know that big bridal shop down the mall, with the mannequin on the balcony?"
Makoto: "SQUEEEEE! That place looks great! Oh, I wish I could be a bride!"
Usagi: "See! She's just like the rest of us!"
Makoto: /blushes.
Ami: "Er, yeah. Anyway, people are saying the place is haunted, that the mannequin roams at night trying to seduce men who walk by."
Luna: "Where do you hear rumors like this, anyway?"
Ami: "All you have to do is click on everyone twice. Oh, and the dresses are cursed, too."
Usagi: "Well, I guess I'm not shopping there when I get engaged!"
Makoto: "Uh-uh! No way!"
Luna: "…'When'? To whom?"

Hikawa Shrine
An idyllic scene, where Rei's bird friends feed from her hands—

Rei's Grandfather And His Ridiculous Mustache: "Rei! Your beautiful human friends are here! Say, girls, ya wanna work here as shrine maidens…?" ;)
Rei: "Arrrgh! Grandfather!"

Suddenly! Rei senses something.

…but doesn't do anything about it yet.

They fill Rei in on the rumor.

Rei: "The story does seem suspicious."
Ami: "Maybe Naru's fiancé got nabbed by the ghost."
Rei: "Then he has no one to blame but himself!"
Usagi: "…Er. That's a little harsh."
Rei: "I do not trust MEN! And you should not either!"
Usagi: "But you got abducted by the ghost bus driver!"
Rei: "Exactly my point!"
Makoto: "So this is a thing you guys do? Collect rumors? Some kind of Scooby Doo thing?"
Usagi: "Er… yeah! It's sort of a… er… club activity?"
Makoto: "Heh. Cool. But it's a bit over my head. Guess I'll leave you to it?"

EXIT Makoto.

Rei: /points after her.
Luna: "What?"
Rei: /points after Makoto.
Luna: "What? What about her?"
Rei: /POINTS AFTER—
Luna: "Are you sure that she's the next—?"
Rei: "THAT ONE. THAT ONE THERE."
Luna: "Okay, okay!"

Luna: "Anyway, we've got enough to go on, as these things go. We raid the bridal shop tonight!"
Ami: "Tonight's bad for me. Can you make it tomorrow?"
Rei: "I'm unavailable tomorrow. Tonight is better."
Usagi: "I can't do either. How about Wednesday?"
Rei: "I have no plans Wednesday."
Ami: "I do, but I suppose I could move a thing."
Luna: "FINE! We'll save the world on Wednesday! But no later!"
Ami: "We really need to set up a regular raid night."

But That Very Evening
Motoki: /finishes closing up the store.

Suddenly! A spectral bride approaches!

Motoki: !
Spectral Bride: "LOOK INTO MY EYES." @_@

Soon
Makoto: "…I guess it's about time I actually went home."

Suddenly! Motoki approaches!

Motoki: /super-suavely. "Mako-chan, darling, I have always loved you."
Makoto: !
Motoki: "LOOK INTO MY EYES." @_@
Mamoru Chiba: /just happening by. "wtf?!"

Tsukino Residence, Usagi's Bedroom
Usagi: /zzz
Luna: /zzz
Tuxedo Mask: …
Usagi: ?
Tuxedo Mask: !!!
Usagi: :eek:

EXIT Usagi and Tuxedo Mask, together.

Luna: !

Where Are They Going Together?
Usagi: "Wait! Wait! Slow down! How did you know where I live?"
Tuxedo Mask: /dramatically. "I… don't… know!"

EXIT Tuxedo Mask, with swirl of cape.

Usagi sees that he brought her to the Haunted Bridal Shoppe! The famous bride mannequin is here! Motoki and Makoto are here, and look brainwashed!

Spectral Bride: /pushes the two's heads together like dolls action figures, making them kiss. "Muahahahaha! Yes, yes!"
Usagi: /Gizmophone Action! "GUYS! IT'S ME! WE'VE—"
Luna (via gizmophone): "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU?!"
Ami (via gizmophone): "Are you all right? We're tracking you now!"
Rei (via gizmophone): "Did Tuxedo Mask do anything funny to you?!"
Usagi: "You guys, shut up and listen to me!"
Luna (via gizmophone): !
Ami (via gizmophone): !
Rei (via gizmophone): !
Usagi: "I mean, uh, please? We've got a serious spectral bride situation here!"

When The Time Is Right
Spectral Bride: "WHO'S THERE? Did you see—?"

ENTER a devillishly handsome blond man in a dapper white-tie tuxedo.

Spectral Groom: "Indeed, I DID see you playing with your dolls, madamoiselle—and I think you looked BEAUTIFUL!"
Spectral Bride: !
Spectral Groom: "I have already registered sleepingmenimprisonedinelegantbridalmannequins.com for you—for us! Shall we celebrate our partnership… in hell?"
Spectral Bride: "Ha ha, I'm not falling for this. This is my scam, buddy. Who the hell are you?"

Why, He Was None Other Than—
—Sailor Moon, in a clever disguise!

Sailors Mars and Mercury also burst in, dramatically!

Ami: (It's too bad we couldn't all come in with matching disguises. Don't you think we'd make a nifty trio?)
Rei: (No.)
Ami: (Aww.)
Usagi: (Come on, guys, just like we rehearsed!)
Usagi: "How dare you bend the belief of being a beautiful bride to bad and brutal ends?!"
Ami: "Wisdom should be wielded for the welfare of the world! I'll wash your wiles away with my wintry waters!"
Rei: "And I shall punish thee with passionate pyrotechnics for thy presumption, upon my pump-prettified pins!"
Spectral Bride: "Your what?"
Rei: "My high-heeled hoofers! My sexy-beslided stems!"
Spectral Bride: "What do SHOES have to do with anything?"
Rei: "And you call yourself a woman?"

In all the dramatic bursting, the Spectral Bride has lost control of her charm spell.

Makoto: "…It was all a lie?! MAKO SMASH PUNY GHOST!"

With a sudden surge of power, Makoto picks up the Spectral Bride, breaks her upon her knee, and throws the two broken halves out the window. In the process, she happens to Exalt as Sailor Jupiter, but to be honest she didn't really need the help.

The others: :eek:
Makoto: /pant pant huff growl grr.
Makoto: /notices her new outfit. "What the—?!"

But Who's That Outside?
On a high rooftop stands another Dark Kingdom agent—the one we know as Nephrite. He laughs evilly, sharp teeth glinting in the moonlight.

Nephrite: (Hmm. There are now FOUR of them, working as a coordinated team, and the new one tore apart my spectre with her bare hands BEFORE she even transformed. Maybe I should be cautious here.)
Nephrite: (Naaaaah. I bet they're just bluffing.)
Nephrite: "Hello, ladies. That was just a shadow of myself! Your real enemy—"
Ami: "—demonstrates repeated transvestite tendencies."
Nephrite: "Hey!"
Rei: "And is terrible at it. Honestly, to claim that shoes do not matter?"
Nephrite: "That's not the—"
Usagi: "I just demonstrated transvestite tendencies! What's wrong with transvestite tendencies?"
Ami: "Nothing at all in my book! But watch him squirm to deny it! Hee hee!"
Nephrite: "There's nothing wrong with admiring beautiful dresses! Besides, I never wore them myself, it was always one of my shadows! It's like dressing up a doll, or, uh— wait, that sounds bad, too."
Ami: "We're not the ones you have to convince, dear."
Usagi: "Yeah, I bet you'd look great in a dress! …What? He would!"
Rei: "Why are we even having this conversation?"
Makoto: "GOOD QUESTION."

Sailor Jupiter waves her arms and calls up a hurricane of flower petals, that baffles Nephrite's vision and messes up his hair.

Nephrite: "Bah! Flowers are no threat!"
Yuuka Kazami: "I'll let you handle this one, child."
Makoto: "O JUPITER, BRING ME A STORM! BRING ME THUNDER! AND BRING DOWN THE LIGHTNING!"

Aftermath
Luna: "Did you get him?"
Usagi: "Golly, we've never blown up a building before!"
Makoto: "Felt pretty good."
Ami: "Okay, let's all get out of the road for the firefighters!"
Rei: "…They got him."

Luna notices that up one a nearby building, Tuxedo Mask watches.

Tuxedo Mask: ;)
Luna: !

EXIT Tuxedo Mask, dramatically, with swirl of cape.

Luna: (So is he actually trying to help, or is he just trying to make us think that he's…? Arrgh!)
Motoki and the Other Kidnapped Guys: "Wha' happen?"

In a Dark Place
Zoisite: "Nephrite! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Kunzite, a tough-looking bishonen with long, pale hair: /tsk tsk tsk.
Zoisite: !
Kunzite: "If ya don't want to end up like him, kiddo, you'd better learn to use your head."
Zoisite: /pouts.

Queen Beryl's Crystal Ball: /SIGNAL LOST
Queen Beryl: "ARRRRGH! DAMN IT! FUCK!"

Queen Beryl wishes she had a table to slam her hands against, but the Dark Kingdom does not believe in furniture, so she has to settle for roving about the room, ranting.

Queen Beryl: "WHY does Sailor Moon KEEP INTERFERING?! It is SO UNFAIR! Oh, you stupid minions! If only I had the Legendary Silver Crystal I wouldn't have to keep messing with this slow bit-by-bit thing! We could just do it like THAT! I wish I had the Crystal here, right now!"
Queen Beryl: ♫ I want the world! I want the whooole world! I want to lock it all up in my pocket—♫

Denouement
The Sailors stroll down the street in the moonlight. This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Usagi: "So how'd the monster get you in the first place?"
Makoto: "Well, er… you noticed I was a bit grumpy around Mr. Furuhata at the arcade? It's 'cause he reminded me of my first crush, this older guy at my last school who'd rejected me…"
Ami: "And, bang, the bad guys caught you on the rebound."
Makoto: "Yeah, I had a moment of weakness."
Usagi: "Which for you is, like, still ten times stronger than me!"
Makoto: "But, you know… what really made me decide to transfer schools was… a whisper in the wind, that there was somewhere else I had to be. Something more important than falling in love. A duty."
Rei: "Precisely! We don't have the luxury of the time it takes to cry over some MAN!"
Usagi: "…Keep talking. ♥"
Rei: "Er… what I meant to say…"
Ami: "So you weren't thrown out of your old school at all?"
Makoto: "Well, I, er… might have lent them some encouragement." ^_^'
Ami: "Welcome to the team." ;)
Luna: "Yes! And now Sailor Moon gets the Stick!"
Usagi: "No! I've been good!"
Luna: "No! The Moon Stick!"

Luna's eyes glow dramatically, and a magic wand with a crescent moon on one end materializes at Sailor Moon's feet.

Usagi: >get Stick. (taken)
Luna: "Sailor Moon, you have gathered four Guardians. You are to be the leader, and protect the Legendary Silver Crystal and the Princess!"
Rei: "Why is SHE the leader?"
Ami: "How can we protect them if we don't know where they are or what they look like?"
Usagi: "How do I Moon Stick?"
Makoto: "And was 'Moon Stick' really the best name you could come up with?"
Luna: "Because I said so! That's your problem not mine! I'll instruct you later. And it sounds awesome in Moon Language so shut it!"

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
Re: Act #5: Makoto, Sailor Jupiter

Great review... and I much more prefer the Nephrite/Naru arc from the anime, to be honest.

Karrin Blue

Validated User

Yeah, the Generals aren't really fleshed out here... I mean, I guess Beryl had to grab the first halfway competent minions she could get? Even if relative power levels mean a brand new Sailor can oneshot them.

Vehrec

Validated User

Great review... and I much more prefer the Nephrite/Naru arc from the anime, to be honest.
Naoko would never have been able to handle that. To quote her:

"Every month I had to draw 40-50 pages from draft to completion in the space of 4-8 days. When I later looked at the finished product in a magazine I didn't even remember drawing it! I once had to draw 47 pages in 3 days."

"My manga isn't just shoddy work, it's practically a rough draft. I made a ton of drawing mistakes, sometimes even forgetting parts of characters."

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User

"Every month I had to draw 40-50 pages from draft to completion in the space of 4-8 days. When I later looked at the finished product in a magazine I didn't even remember drawing it! I once had to draw 47 pages in 3 days."

"My manga isn't just shoddy work, it's practically a rough draft. I made a ton of drawing mistakes, sometimes even forgetting parts of characters."
Okay, fair enough. And ouch on her part!:eek:

Catharsis Cat

Live Action Anime Girl
Validated User

That probably explains why the manga feels a little floaty. I just finished it all yesterday, I wasn't a big fan of it compared to the Anime of Codename Sailor V. Hearing that it was kind of rushed pretty much explains why my issues with it where there in the first place.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

At that rate of speed, I'm amazed it looks as decent as it does. (I once did a frantic 10 pages in a day to get an idea off my chest, and they barely look like anything.) Though I realize now I don't know if there are art assistants involved or what.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Yeah, the Generals aren't really fleshed out here... I mean, I guess Beryl had to grab the first halfway competent minions she could get? Even if relative power levels mean a brand new Sailor can oneshot them.
I guess V murdered her way through all the tough bosses in her comic. :p Just doing her part to make things safe for the Princess!

And, yeah, I'm having to stretch like a cat on a summer's day to invent characterization for the Generals.

RoadsOfShadow

Validated User

And another Sailor returns to the Waking the world.

(Obnoxious something or other ate my post from a few hours ago and I didn't realize till just now, and I must have hit the page less than 20 minutes after original posting too. Annoying.)

Usagi: ♫ Tuxedooooo! I've just met a guy named Tuxedooo! And suddenly I've found, how beautiful a sound that— ♫

Queen Beryl: ♫ I want the world! I want the whooole world! I want to lock it all up in my pocket—♫
I can't help but feel vaguely responsible fro these lines. I'm strangely okay with that. :D

Luna: "Huh. I kind of expected something to happen there."
Usagi: "All I know about him is that he makes me feel… he makes he feel like…"
Luna: "NO SINGING!"
Luna: "CAR! USAGI! CAR!"
Speeding Car: ?!
Luna: ?!
Usagi: ?!

Ami: "Usagi really has no fear of others, does she?"
Ami: "She doesn't notice any of the subtext here, does she?"
Ami: "She's so focused on flirting with the two of them that she's completely forgotten about the Tuxedo Mask thing."
Ami: "Did you notice that Miss Kino has already taken a high level in our secret training game?"

Spectral Groom: "Indeed, I DID see you playing with your dolls, madamoiselle—and I think you looked BEAUTIFUL!"
Spectral Bride: !
Spectral Groom: "I have already registered sleepingmenimprisonedinelegantbridalmannequins.com for you—for us! Shall we celebrate our partnership… in hell?"
Spectral Bride: "Ha ha, I'm not falling for this. This is my scam, buddy. Who the hell are you?"

Makoto: "But, you know… what really made me decide to transfer schools was… a whisper in the wind, that there was somewhere else I had to be. Something more important than falling in love. A duty."
Rei: "Precisely! We don't have the luxury of the time it takes to cry over some MAN!"
Usagi: "…Keep talking. ♥"
Rei: "Er… what I meant to say…"
I'm still slightly amazed at how Usagi somehow more... Usagi like in the manga. She seems, against all odds more romantic, less[/1] concerned about those little things that make people have issues with one another, and she evens manages to have more lubricious and brilliant cunning plans, such as the genius use of the disguise pen. And she somehow manages this while even ditizer than her anime self.

I love Usagi so very much.

Top Bottom