• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIR] Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Sailor Moon Thread 12)

Linneris

Validated User
Huh. There's a PGSM manga? I didn't know that!

Edit: Oh, I get it now. It's the Sailor Moon manga, which is named "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon" in the English translation?

...Confusing!

Last edited:

Shay Guy

Validated User
Note that the Japanese title of the live-action series uses the word senshi just like every other version. I guess somebody decided that "Guardian" should be the official translation franchise-wide, and people in the US only started finding out when the manga relaunched. In the meantime, the fandom convention had already become "PGSM means the toku series."

JeanneHedge

Validated User
I'm somewhat heartened… or is that disheartened?… to hear again that we are not alone in the land of screwy dubbing practices.

As for Usagi, I think it's funny that I knew what it was going to be before even clicking on the link. After all, Usagi is a perfectly cromulent name!
Glad to see you're still checking in, SJ. I had begun wondering if you'd lost interest in SMoon before you'd finished the IWIR (or the IWIW)

How are you using "cromulent", sir? Usagi isn't a made up name, AFAIK.

Last edited:

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Brilliant. :D

This reminds me of a translation story: allegedly, the writer Soseki Natsume said that the proper Japanese translation of the English phrase "I love you" would be something like "The Moon is beautiful." Because a Japanese person would never just come out and say it. :p

Glad to see you're still checking in, SJ. I had begun wondering if you'd lost interest in SMoon before you'd finished the IWIR (or the IWIW)

How are you using "cromulent", sir? Usagi isn't a made up name, AFAIK.
When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more, nor less.

More seriously: Doesn't cromulent mean "not made up"? At least, that's how they use it in Springfield…

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Q: What's one way to break writer's block?
A: Do something other than what you usually do.

And so we return once again to hastily-executed sketch-toons! Let's see if we can break my Photobucket limit. As always, you may have to magnify these to see 'em.

Spoiler: Show
ACT 6: TUXEDO MASK
Usagi: "But Ami's smart!"
Ami: "I prefer to meddle from behind the scenes."
Usagi: "And Rei can be scarier!"
Rei: /hair-flip. "Huh! I lack time for such matters."
Usagi: "And Makoto is a responsible onee-san!"
Mako: "Actually, I'm the same age as you, and impulsive…"
Usagi: "WHAT MAKES YOU THINK A WHINY, POUTY WIMP LIKE ME SHOULD BE THE LEADER?!"
Luna: "You do such good recaps…"

Morning at Mamoru's apartment
Mamoru: /shirtless. (…maybe I should buy curtains.)
Women across the street: /wave, hold up their numbers, take photos, etc.
Mamoru: (On the other hand, why deny them?)

Ami & Mako: "Wow! How'd YOU wake up on time for once?!"
Usagi: "Well… lately I've been having these weird dreams… there's this guy, and I feel all funny…"
Mamoru: /appearing out of nowhere. "Go on."

Ami: "That Mamoru guy goes to that elite school! If you don't want him, can I—?"
Usagi: "YOU CAN HAVE HIM! Jeez!"
Mako: "Great! More Video Arcade Guy for me— OW!"
Ami: /holding Mako back by the ponytail. "Let's not talk crazy now. I called dibs!"

Today's Headlines:
TUXEDO MASK TELLS ALL: Famous Jewel Thief Seeks "Silver Crystal"
Gives exclusive interview to…
What is it? Where is it? The world asks…

Luna: /twitch.

A Dark Place…
Kunzite: /sitting in the only chair in the Dark Kingdom. "MAN, that Tuxedo Mask character has got BALLS. Almost as big as mine! What do you think, Zoi—"
Queen Beryl: /bursts in. "MY CHAIR!"

Ami: "If this crystal is so flippin' dangerous, why are you putting teenagers in charge of it?!"
Luna: "DESTINY! DESTINY! NO ESCAPING DESTINY!"
Ami: "BULLSHIT!"
Luna: "The Queen of the Moon told me to!"
Ami: "…the WHO?!"
Luna: "Okay, that excuse worked. Phew!"
Ami: "Queen of the WHAT?!"
Luna: "No time to explain!" /scarpers.

Usagi: "So, uh, hypothetically speaking… would this Moon Princess we're hunting be, like, having dreams about, er… like, a castle, and people in trouble, and, uh… that sort of thing, maybe?"
Luna: /sidelong look. "…she might. Why do you ask?"
Usagi: "No reason."

TV: /hypno. "SEEK THE SILVER CRYSTAL! BRING IT HERE!"
Usagi: /frantically searching her room. "must. find. crystal. i. obey. find. crystal."
Luna: "So… uh… is this a thing now? Should I be worried? I guess I'll just take a nap, okay?"

TV Psychic: /who couldn't possibly be Zoicite in disguise, honest. "This is for Tuxedo Mask: COME AT ME BRO!"

Ami Mizuno crosses post-apocalyptic Tokyo on nothing but grit and determination…
Hypno-rays: "OBEY. OBEY. OBEY. OBEY. OBEY."
Ami: "…I… will not… surrender…" /takes another step forward.

…and so comes to Luna's secret command center beneath the Arcade.
Ami: /gazes in awe at all the computers. "…I'm home. ♥"

Ami: "Just one question: How did you hide all this from the owner?"
Luna: "I'M the owner! Motoki, coffee, now!"
Motoki: "Yes, ma'am!"

Tuxedo Mask: "Sailor Moon, hurry! You've got to do something about this! Snap out of of it!"
Usagi: /semi-conscious. "–huh?! Tuxedo Mask? But—"
Tuxedo Mask: "I don't have any cool powers! I'm only good at moral support! HELP!"
Usagi: "…y'know, you have really pretty eyes…"
Tuxedo Mask: "So do you, but THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR THAT! Everyone's gonna die!"

Side commentary:
Usagi: "No powers? But you do ninja leaps?"
Tuxedo Mask: "Pshaw! Everyone does THAT!"
Usagi: "Isn't all this your fault?"
Tuxedo Mask: "I didn't think the Dark Kingdom would flip out!!"

Usagi: /brandishes the Moon Stick. "…like this?"
The Moon Stick HEALS EVERYBODY!!!
Everybody: "…wha' happen?!"

Usagi: (I transformed right in front of him! He knows! He's trying to help me! And I have these dreams, and he makes me feel so… so very… ♥" /starts to caress…
Mamoru: "Do you know you have an audience? This is MY room!"
Usagi: /blushing, flings at pillow at him.

TO BE CONTINUED!

ACT 7: MAMORU CHIBA, TUXEDO MASK
Mamoru: "I seek the Legendary Silver Crystal because of the dreams I suffer ever since the tragic accident and amnesia."
Usagi: "I seek the Crystal because my cat told me to!"
Mamoru and Usagi: /mutual swoon!

Usagi: "Wait… your Tuxedo outfit is real? I mean, you can just leave it lying around? How do you transform?"
Mamoru (via old comic-book style narration box): "I use my Tuxedo Powers to fold it a million times and store it in my pocket!"
Usagi: "Okay, you win the No-Prize. And I thought you said you didn't have powers…"

Queen Beryl: /direct line to Metallia word balloon. "O mighty Metallia! I believe your enemies already have the Legendary Silver—"
Metallia: "IT'S THEM THEY'RE THE ONES IT'S THEM THE SAILORS THE ONES KILL THEM THEY SEALED US HURT US DENIED US KILL KILL KILL THE SAILORS THE SAILORS KILL KILL THE SAILORS THEM YES KILL THAT WE MAY RISE AGAIN KILL THEM ALL"
Queen Beryl: /cowers. "Yes, Master!"

For One Brief Moment:
Queen Beryl: /lucid. "What have I done? What have I become, that I now worship the thing I unsealed…"

…But, Alas:
Queen Beryl: /mad. "…There is no turning back. Let Her devour the world… I shall rule the bones…"

Ami: /wearing sexy librarian glasses. "Your hunch about Sailor V must be true, because Luna keeps dodging the subject. She's hiding—"
Usagi: "HIDING SOMETHING ABOUT TUXEDO MASK? ME? HA HA! NO I'M NOT!"
Ami: "…Did I ASK?"

Rei: /points.
Usagi follows her finger and observes a crowd of hypnotized people stumble out of the perfectly safe "DARK VIDEO" video shoppe.
Mind-Controlled Minions: "MUST. FIND. SAILOR. MOON. MUST. FIND. SAILOR. MOON."
Usagi: "…really?"

Historical Note:
Luna: "These are called 'video cassette tapes'. We used to put videos on them."
Luna: "Now you feel old."

Ami: "…I may have made a teensy-weensy mistake when I tried to reverse-hack the subliminals on the evil video tapes."
Mako: "What KIND of a mistake are we talking about here?"
Mind-Controlled Minions: /bearing torches and pitchforks. "THERE THEY ARE AT LAST! KILL THE SAILORS! KILL! KILL SAILOR MOON!"
Ami: "So I'll just be going now…"
Mako: "Get back here."

Usagi: "EEK!"
Zoicite: /grabs Usagi. "Heeheehee!"
Rei and Mako: "Sailor Moon, no!" /ZAP ZAP ZAP
Zoicite: /no sells their attack.
Rei and Mako: /fall over. pow! splat!
Tuxedo Mask: /steps up…
Zoicite: "…seriously?"
Tuxedo Mask: /wilts. "Yeah… I got nuthin'."
Usagi: "I am a delicate flower. Save me."

SUDDENLY!
Artemis: /bursts in dramatically!

To the musical accompaniment of Iron Maiden's "Take Your Daughter To The Slaughter," the white cat takes Zoicite apart with flawless strength and skill, then snatches Sailor Moon and carries her to safety, while the Crescent Boomerang arcs in outta nowhere and messily dices Zoicite. There's blood frikkin' everywhere!

Sailor V and Artemis: /strike a pose, 'cause shit just got real.
Usagi: /narrowly avoiding blood splatter. "And SHE'S the good guy?!"

TO BE CONTINUED!

Speaking seriously, I like but also laugh at the whole "can we trust Tuxedo Mask?" thing. Since, on one hand, it's kind of neat to actually point out the dangers of romance with mysterious strangers, especially in a world with mind-control ninjas, and on the other hand, we haven't actually seen Tux do much dangerous jewel thievery.

And, just for fun, here's a sample of my current project. Anyone remember this one from the Eva threads, a couple of years back? I'm sloooowly revising and redrawing it.

Last edited:

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And, just for fun, here's a sample of my current project. Anyone remember this one from the Eva threads, a couple of years back? I'm sloooowly revising and redrawing it.

...holy shit, your artwork has become so awesome lately. Asuka's expression there is perfect - you can actually see that she's sarcastically overexaggerating her perky-children's-show-host demeanor in her face!

I can't wait to read the full thing when it's finished.

Last edited:

JohnBiles

Validated User
Bring your daughter to the slaughter! That's about right for the manga.

Good to see you back in action!

Top Bottom