• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon, Part 2!

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
You will be interested in the Live Action show.
Actually, the live action is all that I've really seen (other than a couple random eps of the anime). In the LA I felt that she was less "jaded veteran who's seen too much" and more "person being a total hardass because they're desperately trying to keep it together". Of course now that I'm typing it out I wonder if one can't easily be the other.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was reading through some of the wiki articles and I got into the section regarding the Sailor V series. It got me to thinking-she had much more experience than the other Senshi at the time the team came together. Did they miss an opportunity by not protraying her as a jaded old hand? You know, standing in the back and smoking a cigarette while the others fight, then casually putting it out on her hand and cracking her knuckles when it's obvious they need her to step up. Holding Jadeite over the railing of a bridge, then smiling evilly, "You want to surrender? What am I, a cop?" and dumping him over the side. Getting arrested and interrogated by federal agents, "Aino Minako closed her eyes, and Sailor Venus opened them."
I'm suddenly imagining the interrogation scene in Bourne Supremacy. Where Bourne lets himself get picked up by Customs on purpose?

Minako just sitting there in the room, staring sullenly at the agent, saying nothing. And then cold-cocking him the minute he turns his attention to the phone…

But speaking seriously:

So far, what little characterization I've seen, she's actually seemed… I wouldn't say desperate, but definitely surprised and pleased when the others seem to like her. When she joined in the scheming for the snow trip (Tactical Mode ON: "Best allocation of resources: The cats will believe me if I say it's all right."), she seemed startled at Usagi's approval. ("You're one of us!") And then smiled, realizing it was going to be all right.

And the two times I've seen her over at Usagi's house now (the others don't appear to go over to Usagi's much, but Minako's becoming a regular guest…), I seem to sense a little of that shyness that I know so well, where when you've got something to do or talk about, it's fine, and then there's nothing to say and you suddenly feel awkward, because you're not secure enough in the friendship to just sit and do nothing together.

But then I tend to notice the genuinely shy characters, being a shy guy in person myself, so sometimes I project it where it may not be.

Anyway, so far I'm reading her that she hasn't had a lot of time for friendship, and that (plus possible shyness) has led her into talking herself into thinking she doesn't need to make friends. "Right. Mission time now! Let's go, people!" All business. But now she suddenly has four best friends, and she's realizing she likes it. And is starting to loosen up.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #40: The Legendary Lake Monster! Usagi's Family Ties.

• COLD OPEN: For a cold (but sunny) morning.
Luna /wakes up. "Ah! A beautiful Saturday morning. Usagi! Since we've got the weekend off, let's start in on your Princess training, shall we?"
Luna: "Usagi? Usagi?"
Luna: "That's funny, she never gets up first."
Luna: "Hello? Everyone's gone."
Luna: "There's a letter on the table."
Usagi's Letter: "Good morning, Luna! The whole family has decided to go to a hot spring! We'll be back Sunday night. I left food in your dish, and I'll bring back some sweet bean buns for you. If there's trouble, the phone number of the hotel is 555-5555. Love ya! Bye."
Luna: "USAAAAAGIIIIIIIII!"

• LITTLE RED HONDA:
Shingo /playing Gameboy. "Why did we have to sneak out of the house without waking up your cat? Seriously."
Usagi: "Because she won't believe me when I say it was my parents' idea."
Mom: "That's right! We're going to make sure that the obligatory hot springs episode is wholesome and family safe. Besides, it's been so long since we had a family trip."
Dad: "Why don't we do this more often?"
Usagi and Shingo have escalated to Back Seat DEFCON 4.
Dad: "Why don't we do this more often without the kids?"

In the midst of the brawl, Usagi almost drops her star pendant.
Usagi: "Shingo, you almost broke this! Jerk!"
Dad /laughs. "Oh-ho! A present from a boyfriend?"
Usagi: "As a matter of fact, yes."
Dad /nearly drives into the embankment. "WHAT?! You're already dating boys?!"
Mom: "EYES FRONT! EYES FRONT!"
Dad: "NOT IN MY HOUSE! NOT UNTIL YOU'RE NINETEEN! NOT—"
Mom: "She was joking! She was joking!"
Usagi: "Yes! Just joking! Sorry!"
Dad: "Oh. Okay." /calms down.
Usagi: "Jesus, what would you have done if I'd said it was from a girlfriend?!"
Mom: "But that's normal, dear."
Usagi: "…"

• THE DESTINATION AT LAST! A beautiful mountain lake in late fall / early winter. And it actually is beautiful, thank you, background artists!
Usagi: "Wow!"
Shingo: "Dude, there's nothing here."
Dad: "This is where your Mom and I first met."
Mom and Dad start blushing and casting knowing looks at each other.
Shingo /rolls eyes.

Usagi stands apart. Her music box has, inexplicably, started playing. She listens to it and gazes at the scenery.

Usagi: "I wish Mamoru were here to see this."
Usagi: "…I just called him Mamoru! Not Tuxedo Mask?"
Usagi: "No, not Tuxedo Mask. Mamoru!"
Usagi: "I'm in love with a boy named Mamoru! Mamoru! Mamoru! Say it loud and there's music playing; say it soft and it's almost like praying."
Usagi: "That's weird. Admitting that to myself makes me feel better."
Usagi: "Though it still hurts."
Usagi: "Sigh. Love sucks."

Mom: "Usagi! Your Dad and I are going to take a little walk around the lake. You kids go ahead and start dinner without us."
Shingo /?
Usagi: "…"

• BUT LITTLE DO THEY KNOW…
Across the lake ripples wind off the snow-covered mountains, and beneath the chilly waters… something lurks.

• LENG:
Kunzite: "Recent deep-magic scanning of Sector 1 has turned up something troubling, Your Majesty. The essence signature at this lake is similar to that of a class II demon, but it's definitely not one of ours, not any of those Named and Numbered in our records."
Queen Beryl: "Hmm. The situation is fluid enough, without having to account for a new power in the operations area. We'd better make this a priority. Endymion! Investigate and make contact. If she's friendly, recruit her or bind her, as you see fit; if she's one of theirs, kill her. If she turns out to be class III or higher, retreat and report, and we'll arrange a legation."
Mamoru: "Yes, milady!"
{Mamoru has left the scene.}
Kunzite: "Majesty… he's been acting suspiciously. Too many acts of instinctive heroism to make me comfortable."
Queen Beryl: "I'm aware of your prejudices in this matter."
Kunzite: "…"
Queen Beryl: "It's inconceivable that he could have penetrated the mindwipe… but that word hasn't meant what it used to in recent months. You're right to be concerned. Keep him under surveillance."
Kunzite: "With pleasure."

• THE HOT SPRINGS:
Usagi: "I love this view!"
Dad: "These two old folks can still pick 'em, can't we? Hey, Shingo, hop in before you catch cold!"
Mom: "(He's shy because it's a mixed bath.)"
Dad: "It's just family, sport, hop in!"
Usagi: "Ha!" /pulls Shingo in. SPLASH!
Shingo: "DUDE!" /splashes back! Then steals Usagi's towel!
Usagi /!

Various rough-housing ensues, with Usagi hampered by the desire to preserve modesty. She finally tackles Shingo at the edge of the hot spring, and retrieves her towel.

Shingo: "Careful! You almost pushed me off the cliff edge, here! Hey, look, there's some guy down there by the lake."
Usagi: "MAMORU?!"
Shingo: "Who?"

• SECONDS LATER: Usagi, hastily dressed in robe and sandals, takes off down the path toward the lake, through the last rays of sunlight and the fallen leaves.
Usagi: "Mamoru?! Mamoru?!"
Usagi: "There's just some old statue here."
Usagi: "You aren't pulling the Jizô statue trick, are you?"
The music box starts playing again.
Mamoru /steps up behind her. "Why are you talking to that statue?"
Usagi /can't decide whether to smile or cry.
Mamoru: "Why does that music throw my heart into confusion?"
Usagi: "Because it's our song, Mamoru! It's me! Look at me! Usagi! Usagi, with the dumb hair, who trips all the time! Don't pretend you don't know me."
Mamoru: "But I don't know you. Those names you mention mean nothing to me."
Usagi /can't decide whether to get angry or cry.
Mom: "Usagi?"
Usagi: "Mom?"
Mamoru /fades.

Usagi: "And just like that, he's gone…"
Mom: "Did I see you talking with—?"
Usagi: "Mom. I… I really don't want to talk about this right now. Sorry."
Mom /Subject-Changing Prana. "Ah, I remember this statue. 'The Legendary Lovers.'"
Usagi: "…Looks European."
Mom: "It is, but it's one of our legends."

• MOM RELATES A STORY about a heavenly maiden who came to Earth, and a youth of that land, and how they fell in love. But another girl adored the youth to the point of insane jealousy, and so became a monster and terrorized the land, until the two lovers sealed the monster beneath the lake with the power of their love. They then ascended to the Heavens together.

• GOOD THING THAT'S JUST A STORY, RIGHT?
Usagi: "Fairy tales keep having a disturbing level of relevance to my life."
Mom: "Usagi…"
Usagi: "Hm?"
Mom: "If you ever, someday, find somebody you love, make sure you bring him home and introduce him to your Dad and me. Okay?"
Usagi: "…I will. Someday."
Mom: "And I think this weekend we should have a good talk, you and I, about—"
Usagi: "Arrrgh! Mom!" :eek:
Mom: "And arrange a doctor's appointment to see about putting you on the—" :D
Usagi: "Mom!"
Mom /hugs. "I love you, too, dear. Now let's get back before we freeze our buns off."
Usagi /hugs. "I love you, Mom."

• MAMORU…
…was waiting for them to leave. Or was he eavesdropping?

Mamoru: "A monster in a lake, eh?"

Eavesdropping. Tsk. Tsk.

Kunzite /is also spying. "Well, now, he's quick, isn't he?"
Mamoru: "O vengeful soul, sealed in this lake: I command thee to rise once again! Come forth, ancient spirit!"

• LIGHT SHOW! The sun dips beneath the horizon, the waters roil and burn, light takes form…
…and out flies a hideous, spike-tailed lamia.

Lamia /attacks Mamoru instantly! "GIVE HIM BACK!"
Mamoru: "JESUS CHRIST!" /dives for cover.
Lamia /notes Kunzite, looks back at Mamoru, and charges!
Mamoru /sprints for the nearest tree, gets his back against it, prepares to defend himself.
Lamia /looks Mamoru in the eyes.
Mamoru: "…"
Lamia /seems to recognize him.
Lamia /flies off, screaming. "GIVE HIM BACK!"
Mamoru: "Phew!"
Mamoru: "Note to self: For my second demon summoning, make sure to power up first."
Mamoru: "Where the hell does she think she's going?"

Lamia /spots the Tsukinos, and seems to recognize Usagi! Uh-oh!

• TSUKINO PARTY:
Dad: "Are you crying?"
Usagi: "Just struck by the beauty of the moon tonight."
Dad: "It is a beautiful night, isn't it?"
Usagi: "I think I'm go over to the hot springs again, alone, naked, and unprotected. Don't mind me."
Dad: "I never know what that girl's thinking about."
Mom: "Girl trouble."

• SUDDENLY! The Lamia swoops upon Usagi!
Lamia: "GIVE HIM BACK!"
Usagi /!
Dad /?!
Shingo /!?
Mom: "USAGI, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!"
Usagi: "Why ask me?!" /sprints back over to them.
Mom: "Whatever it is you can't keep it!"
Usagi: "Mom! It's a monster!"
Dad: "Then you definitely can't keep it!"
<< Lamia casts Poison Winds! >>
Usagi: "Get down!" /pushes everyone out of the way.
Many trees die.
Usagi /shrugs off the blast effect. "Demon bitch! How dare you ruin our weekend?! I oughta tie your tail to a stump!"
Mom: "Usagi! What are you doing?!"
Dad: "Everyone, run! I'll try to hold it back!" /brandishes a stick.
Usagi: "Dad, I don't think that will help—"
Dad: "Don't worry, I took kendo back in college!"
Usagi: "I take after him, don't I?"
Lamia /bats the stick aside, and goes for the throat.
Usagi: "Oh, shit, quick! MOON POW—"

• SUDDENLY! Enter Tuxedo Mask, dramatically, armed with +3 unholy throwing roses.

Shingo: "Another one?!"
Usagi: "This one's on our side. Uh, probably."
Mamoru: "I will not allow you to harm innocent people!"
<< Lamia uses Spiked Tail Smash! >>
Mamoru dodges!
<< Mamoru uses Compliant Rod! >>
Lamia blocks!
etc. etc. etc.

The Tsukinos scramble to their feet. Usagi is ready to run with them, but—
WHAM!
—Mamoru is down!
Usagi /looks at him, looks at her folks, looks at him… "NrrrrRRRRggghhh! Do I or don't I?"

• SUDDENLY! Enter Sailors Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter, dramatically!
Shingo: "AWESOME! It's the Sailor Senshi! But where's Sailor Moon?"
Mom and Dad: "Who? What?"

< AMI : TECH > BUBBLE1 : ALL >
Usagi: (whispers) "Thank you, Mercury."
Ami /salutes. ;)
Usagi: "Quick, while it's foggy! The inn's that way, I think!"
Dad: "Right! Everyone follow me, and stick close!"
Usagi /immediately doubles back.

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 36
Usagi into Princess Moon: 1
Usagi into Disguise Form: 8
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 10
Rei into Sailor Mars: 9
Mamoru into Tuxedo Mask: 2
Makoto into Sailor Jupiter: 3
Minako into Sailor Venus: 2

• TADA!
The Lamia is chasing its own tail in the fog. Literally.
Usagi: "Here, monster! Good monster!"
Lamia /?
Usagi: "Look, I've got some nice campers for you to eat! See, I think they're having unprotected teen sex. Oh, no! One of them's doing drugs, too!"
Lamia: "RARRRRGH!"
<< Mamoru uses Throwing Roses. >>
Lamia is hit!
Lamia: "RARRRRGH!"
Usagi: "Tuxedo Mask, you rock! Even brainwashed, you can't shake the Hero's Code! You are a super person, and I love you!"
Usagi dodges!
Usagi: "That's right! I said it! I love you!"
CRASH BLAM SMASH!
Mamoru: "What?"
Usagi: "Frell."
Makoto: "Let's help her out."
< DUAL-TECH : MAKOTO > MINAKO > PARTICLE B : LAMIA >
<< Lamia is destroyed! >>
Minako: "And that's the way it's done!"

<< Lamia reforms! And now it's radioactive! >>
Makoto /!
Minako /!
Usagi: "Okay, time to break out Ol' Reliable."
< USAGI : TECH > MOONTIARA : LAMIA >
<< Lamia is destroyed! >>
Usagi: "BOO-YAH!"

<< Lamia reforms! And now it's radioactive and angry! >>
Usagi: "CHEAP FUCKING CHEATING LAMER HAX RERUN MONSTER!"
Rei: "It's not a monster — it's an evil phantom born of old, fanatical jealousy."
Usagi: "Sounds like a monster to me."
Ami: "There is a difference. Do you need me to draw a taxonomical chart?"
Usagi: "Yes."
Mamoru: "Sailor Mars is right."
Rei: :D
Mamoru: "I am responsible for awakening this ancient evil; it should be me who puts it down. You ladies, please, stand aside."
Rei: "Sorry, bello, but phantoms fall in my domain."
< REI : TECH > EXORCISM : LAMIA >
<< Lamia is stunned and confused! >>
< REI : TECH > DRAGONSLAVE : LAMIA >
<< Lamia is stunned, confused, and on fire! >>
<< The forest is on fire, too! >>
Usagi: "Sigh. Rei."
Rei: "¿What?"
< USAGI : TECH > REFRESH : LAMIA >
Moon Healing Escalation!
<< Lamia reverts to… >>

• GOLDEN LIGHT AND ROSE PETALS!
A green-haired Japanese maiden, traditionally dressed, appears in place of the monster ("¡Phantom!"), and shyly smiles. She begins to ascend into the light…

Rei: "We have freed her from her ancient jealousy, and now her spirit is free to pass on."
Usagi: "Beautiful."

The maiden seems to recognize Mamoru—simply as the one from before, or…?—and waves.

Mamoru /smiles, and salutes.

• AND THE NIGHT IS STILL AND SERENE ONCE MORE.
Mamoru: "I would say that—"
Usagi /!
Mamoru: "—what you did was unnecessary—"
Usagi /scrambles for Moon Crescent Wand.
Mamoru: "—but I will yield to you this time, with a bow."
Usagi /ready! "MOON HEALING ESCA—"
{Mamoru has left the scene.}
Usagi: "Damn it!"
Makoto: "Don't worry. There'll be other chances, I'm sure."
Usagi: "Never fails. You finally find a nice guy, and then he plays hard to get."

Kunzite: "Endymion is a strange man."
Kunzite: "I know this, because I am an excellent judge of character, and perfectly normal in every way."

• TSUKINO'S FOLKS are getting increasingly frantic.
Dad: "USAGI!"
Mom: "USAGI!"
Shingo: "SIS! Oh, I hope if the monster ate you, it was painless."
Usagi: "It wasn't. I am a tortured ghost, here to haunt you forever."
Shingo: "SIS!" /hug.
Dad /hug, and manfully holds back tears.
Mom /hug.
Usagi /hug. "I AM SO GLAD you're all right!"
Mom: "Us too! You made us worry!"
Usagi: "Sorry! What with all the fog and the forest fire and attack refootage going off every which way, I got lost running from the monster."
Rei: "¡Phantom!"
Usagi: "Oh, uh… by the way… "
Ami: "Hello!"
Makoto: "Yo!"
Minako: "Hi!"
Usagi: "…I found out that the girls were coincidentally camping in the woods nearby. Do you mind if they, uh…?"
Mom: "I'll heat up some dinner." :)
Dad: "Is the monster dead?"
Rei: "¡Phantom!"
Shingo: "'Course it's dead, Dad, Sailor Moon was fighting it. Sailor Moon always wins."
Usagi: "And don't you forget it!"

• MIDNIGHT HOT SPRINGS PARTY! 80s pop is playing on the boombox, and the girls are letting it all hang out. Firefighting helicopters occasionally fly overhead.
Usagi: "My friends, I am so glad that you are my friends. And thank you for the assist tonight."
Rei: "¡You're welcome!"
Usagi: "Now would you mind telling me what possessed you guys to come out here? And how did you get here?"
Makoto: "I drove."
Ami: "Luna told us where you'd gone."
Minako: "Yeah, until this thing is over, we aren't letting you out of our sight, Princess."
Usagi: "Stop it!" :p
Ami: "And because you let Luna sleep in, and have the run of the house by herself, she asked us to give something to you."
Usagi: "What?"
Rei: "¡THIS!" :D /dunks Usagi underwater.
Usagi: "ACK!" /splutter.
Everyone else helps dunk her.
Ami: "Thought you could keep a hot spring episode to yourself, eh?"
Usagi /fights back gamely. "Oh-ho! My fine friends! Prepare to face wet towel!" :D
Makoto: "Ami! Help!"
Ami: "…I'm thinking."

…and the party goes into the night… and so does the work of the forest firefighters… but they get it under control by morning, I'm sure…

Last edited:

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #40: The Legendary Lake Monster! Usagi's Family Ties.

huh. if the Moon Stick could cure the monster, why didn't Serenity do that in the first place? seems only fair after nicking her boyfriend.

hokey plot aside, this is quite a good episode. I don't really think Usagi's family (or much of her ordinary life) get enough screentime.

Mom: "And I think this weekend we should have a good talk, you and I, about—"
Usagi: "Arrrgh! Mom!" :eek:
Mom: "And arrange a doctor's appointment to see about putting you on the—" :D
Usagi: "Mom!"
mind-boggling trivia fact: Japan only legalised the pill in 1999.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
Re: Episode #40

• MOM RELATES A STORY about a heavenly maiden who came to Earth, and a youth of that land, and how they fell in love. But another girl adored the youth to the point of insane jealousy, and so became a monster and terrorized the land, until the two lovers sealed the monster beneath the lake with the power of their love. They then ascended to the Heavens together.
• GOOD THING THAT'S JUST A STORY, RIGHT?
As I said: Backstory...sort of...:D
Many things must have happened back then we know nothing about.
Mamoru: "O vengeful soul, sealed in this lake: I command thee to rise once again! Come forth, ancient spirit!"
As you once (rightously) called Mamoru "Prince of the Earth", I always guessed this was his schtick:
Zoisite did Crystallomancy, Nefrite Astrology. Jadeite was "networking". And Kunzite was tipping in to, as he suggested in the tower and the ice skating hall, dimensional forces (No, he is not "Brooding in the shadow", he is actually observing the dimension of darkness)...
Mamoru instead just calls upon the powers of the forces bond to Earth itself.
IMHO, only, of course.
•Lamia /attacks Mamoru instantly! "GIVE HIM BACK!"
In this case of course, he would and should not have, if he would have remembered all his past ;) ...
Lamia /looks Mamoru in the eyes.
Mamoru: "…"
Lamia /seems to recognize him.
Lamia /flies off, screaming. "GIVE HIM BACK!"
Lamia /spots the Tsukinos, and seems to recognize Usagi! Uh-oh!
...because then, this would not have happened.:p
Mamoru dodges!
<< Mamoru uses Compliant Rod! >>
Lamia blocks!
etc. etc. etc.
Hey that fight was actually not *that* bad.
Usagi: "Okay, time to break out Ol' Reliable."
< USAGI : TECH > MOONTIARA : LAMIA >
What, you think only because Sailor Moon now has her ultimate wand, she did forget how to cast a throwing weapon from gilded Moonlight out of her colored Moonstone on her tiara ?
No, she didn´t.:)
< REI : TECH > EXORCISM : LAMIA >
<< Lamia is stunned and confused! >>
Yep, that is how it is done. With her patron, of course.

< REI : TECH > DRAGONSLAVE : LAMIA >
<< Lamia is stunned, confused, and on fire! >>
Of course, a ring of fire (not to be confused with a pillar of fire) is never wrong for ceremonies...
• GOLDEN LIGHT AND ROSE PETALS!
A green-haired Japanese maiden, traditionally dressed, appears in place of the monster ("¡The maiden seems to recognize Mamoru—simply as the one from before, or…?—and waves.

Mamoru /smiles, and salutes.
Obviously, having lost memories return by the power of emotions work here, I guess. Even if only slight bits...

Endymion! Investigate and make contact. If she's friendly, recruit her or bind her, as you see fit; if she's one of theirs, kill her.
Don´t forget, they are, actually, in dire need of some strong youmas, if they keep on working with "civillians". They might not be saying it out loud here...

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

mind-boggling trivia fact: Japan only legalised the pill in 1999.
No shit? Well, what do you know?

I wouldn't have thought they'd be one of the first countries, but I'd have thought they'd have done it sooner than that.

On the other hand, the Tsukinos do seem to have some money. Perhaps a little trip out of the country occurs. ;) (That'd really piss off Luna.)

No-Brand Hero

Heroicus Genericus
Validated User

huh. if the Moon Stick could cure the monster, why didn't Serenity do that in the first place? seems only fair after nicking her boyfriend.
Because she didn't have the Moon Stick or Ginzuishou back then.

nargun

Banned

I wouldn't have thought they'd be one of the first countries, but I'd have thought they'd have done it sooner than that.

On the other hand, the Tsukinos do seem to have some money. Perhaps a little trip out of the country occurs. ;) (That'd really piss off Luna.)
lotsa abortions in japan.

Cruton

Retired User

It can be easy to forget that women's lib and reproductive rights in Japan have a bit of a different course from those in the U.S. And honestly, I understand that they're still a bit behind the rest of the first world in that respect.

Plus, since it's come up, could someone more knowledgable than I comment on the legal status of contraception and abortion in Japan? Because I just read the wiki article on the Eugenic's Protection Amendment and I'm convinced I'm not getting the full story. I mean, doctor's under-reporting abortions for income tax purposes? Something's had to have been glossed over.

Top Bottom