• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon, Part 2!

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Also because it does double damage versus cavity creeps!

-------------------
Epsilon
Naturally, in the universe where this video game existed, English language players and Japanese language players are horribly confused by each others' in-jokes.

Tinkerbell

Validated User
Re: Episode #40: The Legendary Lake Monster! Usagi's Family Ties.

Plus, since it's come up, could someone more knowledgable than I comment on the legal status of contraception and abortion in Japan? Because I just read the wiki article on the Eugenic's Protection Amendment and I'm convinced I'm not getting the full story. I mean, doctor's under-reporting abortions for income tax purposes? Something's had to have been glossed over.
Birth control and Japan

Abortion was (de facto) legalized in 1948.

Abortions are generally not covered by National Health Insurance, and there are many private clinics.

It has been rumored that some private clinics 'fudge' records about abortions, for privacy purposes, tax purposes, or both.

The most popular birth control method is the condom, followed by the condom plus the pill, spermicide, etc.

Low-dose birth control pills were legalized in Japan in 1999. (They were almost legalized in 1991, but fears about HIV spreading because the use of condoms dropping off blocked that)

Higher dosage hormone pills had been available for other kinds of problems from 1971, but those weren't supposed to be used for birth control per se.

Note : The first birth control pills, invented in the 1960s, were pretty high-dosage compared to most of the pills being used now, and some people did experience side effects. The low-dosage ones were developed later.

Sorry if I got anything wrong, but that's about it, I think.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #40: The Legendary Lake Monster! Usagi's Family Ties.

Shingo /playing Gameboy.
I had completely forgotten the thing used to be so huge.

The music box starts playing again.
Thankfully, it only does that at narratively-appropriate moments. Imagine how awkward it would be to start playing in the middle of a class ?

And... I have nothing else to say about this episode's transcript. While the plot was serviceable filler, it was the occasion to take stock of Usagi's feelings about Mamoru at this point, while showing that her family hasn't been forgotten about. Thanks to the emotional content, it works (and it's a relief from the last three episodes, at least).

Next episode... something completely different. Or not, depending on your point of view.

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
Naturally, in the universe where this video game existed, English language players and Japanese language players are horribly confused by each others' in-jokes.
I wonder where the games are being made given that V was a British phenomenon.

(If sailor v is ever described as English urban legend instead of a Japanese manga, well your probably a fictional character.)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #41: I Won't Run From Love Any More! Ami and Mamoru's Showdown.

• COLD OPEN: Hot savannah sun. AFRICA! Land of adventure.
Hey, look, it's What's-Her-Name! The paleomicrobiologist lady. She's busily pith-helmeting away at her research.

Then a shadow falls across her. 'Tis Mamoru, in the full knightly panoply of his Endymion persona.

Mamoru: "I've been looking for you, Reika Nishimura."
Reika: "Oh, is this a heatstroke daydream?"
Mamoru: "Worse! Come back to us, once again, Rikokayder!" /brandishes the Dark Crystal Shard.
Reika /?!
HALF-SCARY TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE!
Reika is sucked bodily into the Dark Crystal Shard! We see that already inside the crystal are Crane Game Joe, Father Disney, and the big, fat, green, ugly, sluggard cat!
Mamoru: "BWAHAHAHAHA! Three to go."

• THE CITY OF WINTER:
Ami: (narrating to self) "I grew up in a city of winter, a student who did what she had to do to get by, day to day. But now I'm an urban vigilante with the Sailor Senshi, a dangerous—"
House phone rings.
Ami: (narrating to self) "The phone rang. What new case would it bring, I wondered, as I—"
House phone rings.
Ami: "Coming, coming! Hello, Mizuno here."
Ami: "ZOMG RYO!" :D
Ami: "I mean, how are you?"
Ami: "Turn on the T.V.?" /does so.
Ami: "It's just a Dragonball Z rerun."
Ami: "Oh, Channel 10 news. Well, you should have said!" /switches over.
Ami: "Hey, that's—!"

• CUT TO: Ryo, calling from a phone booth in the city.
Ryo: "That's right! Miss Yumeno, the illustrator has gone missing. I had a hunch, and followed it up: five of the Seven have all disappeared. And guess who's next?"
Ryo: "No, I can't tell you where I am. If people start acting with foreknowledge of my anticipations, it can throw things off and I'll have to start all over again. Trust me, protect Rei's grandfather first, or something terrible will happen. Besides, I've caused you enough trouble." /hangs up.

• BACK TO: Ami.
Ami /!!!!!!
Ami: "Don't you dare get yourself killed being noble!" /sprints out the door.

• BACK TO: Ryo.
Ryo: "Arggh, you macho idiot. You should have taken her offer of help! Now I'm alone and scared. Oh, well, too late now…"
Makoto /just passing by. "Say, isn't that Ami's boy-toy?"
Gizmophone rings.
Luna: (via Gizmophone) "Makoto! We have a situation! Briefing at the Shrine ASAP!"

• LENG:
Kunzite: "Your Majesty… why are we reacquiring the Seven Wizards From Hell, when they already lost to the Senshi the first time?"
Queen Beryl: "Because this time we're using STRA-TE-GY. You know, what generals do? Where Zoisite went wrong was trying to use them piecemeal, while still disoriented from the summoning. If we get all Seven and give 'em time to orient themselves and unite, then we'll see something!"
Kunzite: "Okay, but then why give this important task to Endymion instead of me? Aren't I more trustworthy than this self-sabotaging newcomer?"
Queen Beryl /bares fangs.
Kunzite /!

• EMERGENCY BRIEFING AT THE SHRINE:

Outside:
Gramps and Yuichiro are shoveling snow.
Phobos: "I hate snow! I shoulda migrated."
Deimos: "Stop griping and watch for demons."

Inside:
Minako: "Are the predictions of this 'Ryo Urawa' that reliable?"
Ami: "He consistently shows a Rhine score of over 85%. Yes."
Artemis /just showing up. "Ladies, please be seated. We've just received word that the Dark Kingdom has been kidnapping—"
Luna: "Thank you, Artemis, we just went over that."
Artemis: "Oh."
Makoto: "Okay, Ami, let's go find your boy! I saw him downtown less than an hour ago, so that gives a place to start searching. Come on! You guys guard Gramps."

Outside:
Gramps and Yuichiro are playing snowball.

Inside:
Usagi /cries.
Luna: "Now what?"
Usagi: "The ending of this manga is so sad—"
Rei: "¡You're reading my comics again without permission! ¡You'll make them dirty with your tears!" /tackles Usagi.
Wrestling ensues. Rei fights dirty.
Luna: "They say the children are our future."
Artemis: "Eeesh…"
Minako: "Do you think they'd let me play, too, if I asked nicely?" :)
Rei: "¡Now you're bleeding on them!"
Artemis: "They're not playing."
Minako: "Usagi! Lead with your left! Wait, they're not?"

• DOWNTOWN:
Mamoru /wearing black on black with black shades. "Ryo Urawa?"
Ryo: "Prince Endymion?"
Mamoru: "Ah, good, we can skip the explanations. Since you know what happens next, come along quietly."
Ryo: "Sorry, but I've been taught that I can make my own destiny."
Mamoru: "You're not going to fight me?"
Ryo: "Don't have to. HELP! HELP! MUGGER! RAPE! MURDER! FIRE!"
A crowd gathers, cops move in, and Ryo gets across the street just before the traffic starts again.
Mamoru /!

• CUT TO: Mako and Ami, on the hunt.
Old Lady with sign: "Has anyone seen my big, fat, green, ugly, sluggard cat?"
Ami: "Makoto, we can't search the whole city on foot like this. Let's give it up."
Makoto: "Give up on your boyfriend?!"
Ami: "He's… he's just a friend…"
Makoto: "He says he loves you, and you blush whenever you talk about him. Boyfriend."
Ami: "Okay, maybe that's so, but we're in a dangerous line of work, here. I… I can't divide my attention, the mission comes f—"
Makoto: "Bullshit! All the more reason to grab love with both hands and hold on. Admit it: You're scared of being in love, and finding excuses to run away from it. Nothing wrong with being scared, of course, but you have to be honest with yourself about—"
Ami /suddenly spots Ryo. "RYO! RYO! WAIT FOR ME!" /dashes across traffic and through the crowd after him.
Makoto: "Yeah, see? Like that." /pursues.

• A NEARBY DARK ALLEY: Ryo is accosted by two shadowy figures.
Ryo: "Ami! I mean, Mercury!"
Ami: "I haven't spoken to you in hours." :)
Makoto /digs her in the side and winks. "Mercury dropped everything and came as fast as she knew how."
Mamoru /drops in. "So, you've summoned some lady bodyguards. We'll make a Dark Kingdomite of you yet."
Ami: "Mamoru, he did not, sheesh."
Mamoru: "Mamoru? There's that name again. I'm certain you have me mistaken for someone else. Now—prepare yourselves!"

•*TENSE STAND OFF. Close ups on eyes, dramatically lit. Framing shot through booted legs from ground level. Overhead shot. A hand twitches toward a holster.

Makoto: "(Run.)"
Ami: "(What?)"
Makoto: "(Priorities, right? I'll hold him off. Go.)"
Ami: "(…Right.)"
Ami and Ryo retreat.
Makoto: "Mamoru. Endymion. Whatever. I don't want to fight you, but I won't go easy on you." /assumes kung fu pose.
Mamoru: "As I would expect." /matches her stance. "But can you handle me by yourself?"
Makoto: "Dunno, but I'll give you my best shot."
< MAKOTO : TECH > SHORYUKEN : ENDYMION >
Endymion dodges, easily!
Makoto /!

• MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE SHRINE:
Minako is bandaging up Rei and Usagi. Mostly Usagi, actually.
Ami: (via Gizmophone) "Package retrieved, enemy contacted! We're on the move and need back-up ASAP!"
Minako /glances over at the video playback. "She's downtown, approaching the Zik-Zak building."
Luna: "Can you make it here?"
Ami: (via Gizmophone) "Negative! Target is 'Endymion', and we need the Moon Crescent Wand!"
Usagi /dizzy. "Right! …Which way is the door?"

• THE KUNG FU FIGHT CONTINUES:
Makoto and Mamoru kung fu fight back and forth through the alley, wire leaping over trash cans and flinging chi blasts at each other.
Mamoru's digital watch beeps!
Mamoru: "Right, I've wasted enough time here."
Suddenly, Mamoru fights twice as well, and forces Makoto against the wall. It happens so fast, all she can do is stare at his finishing move—

—but he holds it back.
Mamoru: "…You're no match for me. It wouldn't be fair. Polish your skills and challenge me again."
{Mamoru has left the scene.}
Makoto: "…DAMN IT!"

• THE AMUSEMENT PARK: Closed for the winter.
Ami: "Why'd you want us to run here?"
Ryo: "…This is gonna sound dumb."
Ami: "Whatever you are, you're never dumb."
Ryo: "It was my dream to go to an amusement park with you. Now I have nothing to regret."
Ami /!
Ryo: "Let's split up here."
Ami: "No."
Ryo: "You have your own mission, and I was never human to begin with, so if my sacrifice can—"
Ami: "Heh. We're both the same."
Ryo /?
Ami: "Both trying to find excuses to avoid each other. Mako was right. Listen: to sacrifice is good, but to triumph is best. Don't think there aren't people who would grieve you. …There's at least one."
Ryo /!
Ami: "Let's stop running away."
Ami and Ryo /lean in close, lips parted…

Suddenly! The park lights all come on.
Mamoru /bursts in, dramatically. "Pretty words."
Ami: "AH FUCK!"

• DOWNTOWN, BY THE ZIK-ZAK BUILDING: Now advertising a Sailor Moon toy in every kiddie meal!
Usagi: "Couldn't you have given me time to change?! It's cold."
Luna: "Your fault for wearing a skirt in winter!"
Makoto /shows up, slightly bruised but still kicking. "Did Endymion come this way?"
Usagi: "No! Where'd you come from?"
Random Passer-By: "Hey, look, it's Sailor Jupiter!"
Makoto: "Damn it. Where'd they go?"
Suddenly! The amusement park's light all come on.
Luna: "Wild guess?"

• MEANWHILE, AT THE PARK:
Ami /waves Ryo back.
Ami /draws a line with her toe, and glares at Mamoru. "Dare you to cross that line."
Mamoru: "I was going to wait for the rest of the team to show up, to be fair. But if you insist…"
Mamoru /crosses the line.
< AMI : TECH > BUBBLE1 : ENDYMION >
Mamoru: "That spell's for spear-carriers."
<< Endymion uses Dark Crystal Shard on Ryo! >>
HALF-SCARY TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE!
Ryo is sucked bodily into the Dark Crystal Shard!
Ami /string of curses.

Mamoru: "What did you expect? The mission comes first."
<< Endymion transforms into Tuxedo Mask! >>
Mamoru: Now we can fight."
Ami: "You— Guh— Son-of— Rrngh— GAH! TAKE A COLD SHOWER!"
Mamoru: "That's an insult?"
<< Endymion prepares Spin Parry! >>
< AMI : TECH > BUBBLE2 : ENDYMION >
<< Endymion parries, easily! >>
Mamoru: "Are bubbles all you can do?"
Ami: "No! I can also do this!"
< AMI : ATTACK : ENDYMION >
<< Endymion blocks! >>
Mamoru: "Poor technique."
Ami: "Just what I was gonna say."
Ami /holds up the Dark Crystal Shard and smiles.
Mamoru: "What th—?"
Mamoru /looks in the hand he blocked with.
In place of the Dark Crystal Shard is a business card that reads, "Sailor Mercury, SUPER GENIUS."
Mamoru /!
Ami: "What did you expect? The mission comes first." :D
Ami /shatters the Dark Crystal Shard, releasing all of the Seven.
Mamoru: "You horrible little gelfling!" :mad:
Ami: "Now we can fight."

Enter Usagi and Makoto, armed and loaded for bear.
Makoto: "Mercury, lookin' good."
Ami: "Took some good advice. Shall we?"
Usagi: "Hey, hey! Did I see a new spell?"
Ami: "Maaaaaaybe."
Mamoru: "All right, then, I'll take on all three of you together!"
Usagi: "I owe you better than recycled footage. Ladies: your powers combined!"
< AMI : DUAL-TECH > MAKOTO > WETGROUND : TUXEDO MASK >
<< Tuxedo Mask is shocked and stunned! >>
Luna: "Now, Sailor—"
Usagi: "I KNOW!"
< USAGI : TECH > REFRESH : TUXEDO MASK >
Mamoru /!!!

Memories come flooding back. First him and Usagi, then him and Rei, and then him and the rest of the Sailors…
Luna: "More power! He's shaking it off!"
Usagi: "Grrrrrrrr…" /focuses intensely.
Moon Healing Escalation!
<< Tuxedo Mask reverts to Mamoru! >>
Mamoru: "Wha' happen—?"
Ami: "YES! GO MOON!"
Usagi /sinks to her knees, panting. "I hope– I hope this doesn't nuke his Tuxedo powers, too… We kind of need those. Phew."
Luna: "Good job, everybody!"

Suddenly! Black Hole Automatic Recall System! Mamoru is teleported away.
Luna: "WHAT?!"
Ami: "Sigh. I was afraid they'd do something like—"
Usagi: "NO! NO! NO FAIR! WE WON, DAMN IT! What've I got to do, handcuff him to the Wand?!"

• BACK TO LENG:
Mamoru has been shoved back into the Resurrectron 9000.
Queen Beryl: "Oh, well, back to the drawing board. This time we'll try Mode 2."

• THE NEXT DAY, AT THE PARK:
Ami and Ryo are up in the Ferris Wheel.

Usagi: "We can't let this go on, we've got a misson. If Ami skives off to spend time with some guy, who's gonna be our mission planner?"
Minako: "Isn't that technically your job?"
Usagi: "…"
Rei: "¿Usagi talking responsibility? No way. I bet you're just jealous of her."
Usagi: "…Maybe. :eek: But so are you, I think."
Rei: "Grr. ¡Nonsense!"
Makoto /stands between them. "It's okay, let 'em have their day."
Minako: "Uh…*guys? Sorry to interrupt, but the Ferris Wheel just stopped. Is it supposed to stop like that?"
Luna: "No, I don't think so."
Minako: "Hard to tell from here, but I think somebody cleverly sabotaged the motor."
Usagi: "You mean they're stuck up there?"
Rei: "'Stuck' nothin'. Okay, now I'm jealous…"
Makoto: "Heh. You go, Ami."

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
In place of the Dark Crystal Shard is a business card that reads, "Sailor Mercury, SUPER GENIUS."
Mamoru /!
Ami: "What did you expect? The mission comes first."
Ami /shatters the Dark Crystal Shard, releasing all of the Seven.
Mamoru: "You horrible little gelfling!"
Ami: "Now we can fight."

WOW never gussed her for the larceny charms but sweet.

Armchair Gamer

Re: Episode #41: I Won't Run From Love Any More! Ami and Mamoru's Showdown.

Even with only the dub to go on, I still love this episode, though it's been over a decade since I last watched the series. :)

Ryo: "No, I can't tell you where I am. If people start acting with foreknowledge of my anticipations, it can throw things off and I'll have to start all over again.
Have you been reading A Night in the Lonesome October, perchance?

•Kunzite: "Okay, but then why give this important task to Endymion instead of me? Aren't I more trustworthy than this self-sabotaging newcomer?"
Queen Beryl /bares fangs.
Kunzite /!
Legitimate question, Kunzite, but on the subject of Endymion, Beryl's not entirely rational . . . of course, neither are you at this point. :D

Ami: "Both trying to find excuses to avoid each other. Mako was right. Listen: to sacrifice is good, but to triumph is best. Don't think there aren't people who would grieve you. …There's at least one."
Ryo /!
Ami: "Let's stop running away."
Ami and Ryo /lean in close, lips parted…

Suddenly! The park lights all come on.
Mamoru /bursts in, dramatically. "Pretty words."
Ami: "AH FUCK!"
Corruptio optimi pessimus. Tuxedo Mask's wonderful sense of Dramatic Timing has been twisted to evil. Poor Ami. ;) :(

< AMI : TECH > BUBBLE1 : ENDYMION >
Mamoru: "That spell's for spear-carriers."
Ah, Endymion. Pride . . .

Mamoru: "What did you expect? The mission comes first."
<< Endymion transforms into Tuxedo Mask! >>
Mamoru: Now we can fight."
Ami: "You— Guh— Son-of— Rrngh— GAH! TAKE A COLD SHOWER!"
Mamoru: "That's an insult?"
<< Endymion prepares Spin Parry! >>
< AMI : TECH > BUBBLE2 : ENDYMION >
<< Endymion parries, easily! >>
Mamoru: "Are bubbles all you can do?"
Ami: "No! I can also do this!"
< AMI : ATTACK : ENDYMION >
<< Endymion blocks! >>
Mamoru: "Poor technique."
Ami: "Just what I was gonna say."
Mamoru /!
. . . and fall. Not only does Ami get character growth and a romantic ending, but she also becomes the only Senshi to date to outdo Evil!Tuxedo Mask on her own. :D

Memories come flooding back. First him and Usagi, then him and Rei, and then him and the rest of the Sailors…
Luna: "More power! He's shaking it off!"
Usagi: "Grrrrrrrr…" /focuses intensely.
Moon Healing Escalation!
<< Tuxedo Mask reverts to Mamoru! >>
Mamoru: "Wha' happen—?"
Ami: "YES! GO MOON!"
Usagi /sinks to her knees, panting. "I hope– I hope this doesn't nuke his Tuxedo powers, too… We kind of need those. Phew."
Luna: "Good job, everybody!"

Suddenly! Black Hole Automatic Recall System! Mamoru is teleported away.
Luna: "WHAT?!"
Ami: "Sigh. I was afraid they'd do something like—"
Usagi: "NO! NO! NO FAIR! WE WON, DAMN IT! What've I got to do, handcuff him to the Wand?!"
Talk about your nasty sucker punches, for both the characters and the viewers.

SPOILER:
Spoiler: Show
We won't see Endymion/Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask again until the series finale, too, except in flashback, which gives us four episodes to build the suspense.

THE NEXT DAY, AT THE PARK:
Ami and Ryo are up in the Ferris Wheel.
Good for Ami. I love that girl. :D

Blazing Bat

Validated User

The ability to be at least semi-competent at fighting without using magical attacks seems to be a side effect of the senshi transformation. First Sailor Moon Beating up those possessed bodybuilders in one of the Jadeite episodes, now Sailor Mercury snatching the dark crystal shard from Tuxedo Mask during a fight. I can't imagine either of them having had martial arts lessons or lots of schoolyard brawls before.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Mamoru: "I've been looking for you, Reika Nishimura."
Fun fact : Reika has the same voice actress as Minako.

Usagi: "The ending of this manga is so sad—"
Rei: "¡You're reading my comics again without permission! ¡You'll make them dirty with your tears!" /tackles Usagi.
Wrestling ensues.
According to the ever instructing WikiMoon, they're fighting avor an issue of Nakayoshi, the magazine in which the Sailor Moon manga ran.

Mamoru: "You're not going to fight me?"
Ryo: "Don't have to. HELP! HELP! MUGGER! RAPE! MURDER! FIRE!"
A crowd gathers, cops move in, and Ryo gets across the street just before the traffic starts again.
Mamoru /!
I love Ryo's common sense and realism here. Too bad that the episode also shows that nobody reacts to the Sailor soldiers running around in crowded streets, though.

Mamoru /!
Ami is awesome, as usual.

By the way, this was just a Dark Crystal, not the one that Kunzite had.

Anyway, this was a nice Ami spotlight episode, which shows that the writers are still keeping track of the secondary characters and their subplots (which is part of what makes the first season more satisfactory than most of the others).
Spoiler: Show
Too bad that this is the last appearance of Ryo, and that he will never be mentionned ever again.

It's interesting that the formula of "Kunzite sets up an Ackbar shop to try and lure Sailor Moon in, but it fails because of Endymion's interference" has already been abandonned after barely 4 episodes. Good to see that the writers noticed that it just wasn't working : from episode 40 to the end of the season, each episode tries something a bit different, and that was for the best.

By the way, next episode was one of the few the dub ommitted. Too bad, because there was a lot of interesting backstory there.

Top Bottom