• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon, Part 2!

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, as in Gurren Lagann, in Lensmen planets, stars and galaxies are ammunition, not terrain :)
That would be the most awesome crossover EVER.

"Don't believe in yourself! Believe in the Kinnison who believes in you! WHO IN THE NAME OF ARISIA DO YOU THINK I AM?!"

Last edited:

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
Man, I haven't read any Takahashi in ages. Just realized that. I have no idea what she's up to these days. (*checks Wikipedia* Hmm. Something called Rin-ne.)
I like it so far. Light comedy, very episodic it feels like its not trying for a real long running plot which I think plays to her strentghs.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like it so far. Light comedy, very episodic it feels like its not trying for a real long running plot which I think plays to her strentghs.
Oh, thank goodness. See, I kind of gave up on Takahashi because it was feeling like the stories had no ending in sight. (Just as an example, I finally went and read the last issue of Ranma 1/2, just to find out if there was closure…*and would have thrown it across the room if it hadn't been a digital copy. And then I laughed at myself.)

So when you say, "Eh, she's just relaxing and going episodic," I go, "Yes, okay! Perfect!" :p

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode #42: Sailor Venus's Past, Minako's Tragic Love.

Maybe it's that I've caught a cold, but body language and vocal tone in this episode led me to a much darker interpretation of events than was presented in dialogue. But what am I suppose to think when I see Minako flinch?

She really has had it rough, poor kid.

• LATE NIGHT AT THE VIDEO ARCADE:
Ami is hacking away at the Starfighter console, while Rei and Makoto look on.
Luna and Usagi stumble in, looking like what the cat dragged in.
Luna: "Sorry we're late…"
Usagi: "No… *yawn* …luck on our end. You?"
Rei: "No leads."
Makoto: "No luck."
Ami: "Negative on this scan. The Dark Kingdom is gaining access to our world somehow, but so far, nothing we've turned up has given us a handle on how or where."
Makoto: (rural accent) "You cain't get theah from heah."
Ami: "'Zackly."
Luna: "What about that black hole theory you had?"
Ami: "Stephen says he has an idea, but even with our equipment—" /pats the console. "—it'll take until the end of the decade to confirm."
Luna: "Well, damn."
Usagi: "…Stephen?"
Luna: "When's Minako's report due?"
Usagi: "When's dinner due? All I had was the stuff at that snack stop, and that's not real food."
Luna: "Same as I told you before: when we're done with tonight's work! Now stop bitching!"
Usagi: "Well, screw you, too, cat! See if I open a can for you tonight!"
Artemis /just walking in with Minako. "A bit grumpy tonight, I see! I expect it's been a long night for all of you."
Luna: "…Yeah. Minako?"
Minako /perky. "No luck, but I have hopes."
Ami: "Yeah, they're only invaders from a dimension that shouldn't exist. All we have to do is rewrite our entire physical model of the universe. Piece of cake."
Ami: "I'm sorry, I'm tired, too."
Makoto /looks at Ami. "Yeah, let's knock off for the night."
Ami /looks at Makoto. "Yeah."
Rei /looks at Usagi. "Usagi, we're going home now."
Usagi: "YES!"

• SUDDENLY!
Computer: "ASTRONOMICAL ANOMALY DETECTED."
Usagi: "There's black stuff on the sun! That's bad, right?"
Ami: "Sunspots. There's always a few… but… they're multiplying?!"
Artemis: "Luna, that pattern—"
Luna: "Yeah. It's just like before."
Ami: "…Not—?!"
Artemis: "Yes. This happened to the sun just before the Moon Kingdom was destroyed."

Heart-stopping beat.

Usagi /raises her head. "Right before?"
Luna: "We have a little time yet."
Everyone stands up again.

• CUT TO: LENG. In chambers, Queen Beryl and Kunzite. And Mamoru, still in the Resurrectron 9000.
Cthulhu: "The dreamer groans beneath the slab. When the sun goes black, my time will come."
Kunzite: "…Whoa."
Queen Beryl: "And then the world shall be mine!"
Queen Beryl: "By which I mean, of course, ours, darling." /strokes altar. "Yes."
Kunzite: "Should be soon."
Queen Beryl: "You sound suspiciously confident."
Kunzite: "I've found somebody who knows Sailor V's true identity! A woman in one of their planetary police forces—"
Queen Beryl: "Interpol! Chun-li! You've suborned Chun-Li! Awesome!"
Kunzite: "Er… no?"
Queen Beryl: "Oh."
Kunzite: "Her name's 'Katarina', and apparently she was like a big sister to V."
Queen Beryl: "Well, sounds interesting anyway. I leave this to you."

• SUDDENLY! Crepuscular tendrils of a colour out of space exude from the altar.
Queen Beryl /?!
Kunzite /!?
Cthulhu: "This man possesses the same wavelength of energy that I do. He is worthy of inheriting my energy."
Queen Beryl: "He is cute, isn't he?"

• USAGI WAKES UP!
Luna: "Bad dreams, sport?"
Usagi: "I fear something terrible is happening to Tuxedo Mask."
Luna: "I understand how you feel, but you'll worry yourself sick. You need food and rest."
Usagi /gets up, goes to the kitchen, fixes a Dagwood, brings it back to eat.
Luna: "That's not quite what I meant."
Usagi: (talking with mouth full) "Well I can't sleep if you're talking to me."
Luna /sigh.
Artemis /jumps through the window in a blind panic, knocking Usagi over.
Usagi /chokes to death and dies.
Artemis /ignores her. "MINAKO'S DISAPPEARED?! WHAT DO I DO?!"
Usagi: "Put up posters?"
Luna /ignores her. "Slow down, start from the beginning."
Artemis: "She got a phone call from someone she called Katarina—"

• CUT TO: A downtown hotel room.
Katarina is an attractive brunette, maybe twice Minako's age. She sits at the window.

Minako sits a distance away. Her body language in this scene screams discomfort.

Katarina: (Received Pronunciation accent) "Why didn't you let me know you were still alive? I hear you're still in the business. I want to help you, too. You're friends with the Sailor Senshi, aren't you? Won't you introduce me?"
Minako: "…What about Allan? Is he all right?"
Katarina: "…Yes." /stands up and moves closer.
Minako /shies away.
Katarina: "He wanted to see you, too."
Minako: "…You're still wearing the pendant I gave you."
Katarina /toys with it between her breasts. "Of course! I never forgot my favorite. But you're not wearing the present I gave you."
Minako: "…"
Katarina: "I just want to help you, dear. Please, introduce me to the S—"
Minako: "Katarina, I… don't want to put you in any danger. This is our problem. I'm glad I had a chance to see you again, but I can't see you any more." /bolts from the room, half in tears.

Kunzite /pops in. "There's probably a boring and innocent explanation to all this, but it sure sounded tantalizingly unpleasant. Almost Dark Kingdomite, really."
Katarina: "Master Kunzite, it's—"
Kunzite: "Shame I haven't the time." /OVER 9000. "TRANSFORM and attack!"

Something flies from the hotel room window at great speed, shrieking in eagerness.

• THE MARINA AT NIGHT: Minako is crying over a picture of her and Allan, a generically-handsome-looking Englishman.

A glowing green butterfly flutters by.
Minako: "A butterfly in winter?"
Minako /ducks instantly.
SLASH!

• METAMORPHOSIS ALPHA! A youthful youma in a sort of "Poison Ivy meets Itzpapalotl" outfit, with a battle-axe for a hand. This youma's actually sort of attractive.
Papillon: "You should have stayed dead!"
Minako: "You're a youma, right?"
Papillon: "Of course I'm a—"

• STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER:
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 36
Usagi into Princess Moon: 1
Usagi into Disguise Form: 8
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 10
Rei into Sailor Mars: 9
Mamoru into Tuxedo Mask: 2
Makoto into Sailor Jupiter: 3
Minako into Sailor Venus: 3

• TADA!
Papillon: "—oh. Clever."
< MINAKO : TECH > CRESTBEAM : PAPILLON >
<< Papillon absorbs the beam! >>
Minako /!
Papillon: "But you're wasting your time!"
<< Papillon casts Swarm of Tritium Butterflies! >>
<< Minako is paralyzed and bound! >>
Minako /!!
Papillon: "I know your weaknesses, inside and out." /does something.
Minako /screams abjectly.
Minako /feels violated.
Minako /recognizes the necklace Papillon is wearing. "You're Katarina?! Noooooooo…"

• FORTUNATELY: The cats and Usagi have just arrived on the scene.
Usagi: "Oh, corks, that youma looks like a tough one. And we're alone."
Luna: "…I know! Let's steal a boat."
Artemis: "I SAY!"
Usagi: "I don't how to fly a boat!"
Luna /rolls eyes. "So disguise yourself as a cute sailor and fake it."
Usagi: "…That works?" /pulls out Disguise Pen.

Usagi into Sailor Moon: 36

• TADA! Usagi's got cheery sailor whites, complete with a jaunty little cap and—
Papillon /does something else to Minako. "TALK, CUNT! Where are the other Senshi?!"
Minako /screams some more. [I mean, Jesus H. Christ, this youma's not playing around, here. This is personal and painful. :eek:]
Usagi: "Judas! I think you had me turn into the wrong kind of Sailor! We've got to—"
Luna: "We'll handle this. You grab Venus once there's an opening."

Luna and Artemis /are both master judoka.
Five seconds later, the monster is struggling to pull itself out of the water.
Usagi /grabs Minako and fireman-carries her onto the nearest cabin cruiser.

• CUE MIAMI VICE THEME. The boat slices across the water.
Usagi /conns the boat with ease, mind whirling with the possibilities of the Disguise Pen, if it grants skills as well as appearance.
Minako /slowly recovering, shivering.
Usagi: "Are you okay, V?"
Minako: "How did you find me?"
Luna: "We hit every hotel with a 'Katarina' on the guest book. When we found the place with a busted window and a missing guest, we knew we were on the right track."
Usagi: "AERIAL TARGET, DEAD ASTERN! SHE'S COMING IN FAST! What the hell is that thing?"
Luna: "Real unfriendly."
Usagi: "Minako, do you think you can pick her off from—?"
Minako /withdrawing into herself.
Usagi: "—Never mind, we can always run for it. This boat's got legs."
Artemis: "I say, what are these white bags in the locker?"
Usagi: "Dunno. Dump 'em, maybe we'll get more speed."
Minako: "Usagi… Thank you for helping me."
Usagi: "No problem! What's a little rescuing between friends?"
Artemis: "Ballast dumped, skipper, and I think we've got the speed advantage now."
Luna: "But we'll be sitting ducks if the fuel runs out. Let's shelter on that luxury liner, off the starboard bow."
Usagi: "We're sitting ducks there, too, but I guess we'll have cover."

• THE LUXURY LINER: It's a looooong way up the ladder from the surface.
Minako /leaps aboard with athletic grace.
Usagi /gasp gasp wheeeeeeze.
Luna: "Quit dragging your feet!"
Usagi: "You got to sit on my head the whole way up. And I haven't transformed yet!"
Minako /tense. "We'd better hide. She's looking for me."

• THE SHIP IS STRANGELY SILENT. Papillon flutters back and forth, hunting for our heroes, who have holed up in a shipboard restaurant of some kind.
Usagi: "There's nobody here. There's nobody here."
Minako: "But she knows we're here."
Artemis: "Maybe the ship is between voyages."
Usagi: "Maybe it's a trap and a monster ate everybody!"
Luna /Subject-Changing Prana. "Venus… who is Katarina? What do you know about this demon?"
Minako: "…"
Usagi: "Okay, guys, this is not the time. Leave her be."
Minako: "…It's okay, I can tell you. It was six months ago…"

• FLASHBACK BEGINS: London, six months ago.
Sailor V had traced a demon to England. While on the case, she met and fell in love with an older man named Allan. (She "trips" and catches his arm "by accident", and when he doesn't push her away, she decides he loves her back. Does anyone just ask people out, any more?)

Then, one day: She met Katarina.

• THAT FATEFUL DAY: Katarina, looking smart in her UNIT uniform, is chasing a knife-wielding suspect through a crowd. The suspect takes a cute little blue-haired girl hostage—then transforms into a goblin-like demon form and cackles maniacally! But then! Sailor V plunges in, kicks the stuffing out of the demon, and frees the little girl. The crowd applauds, and Katarina shakes hands with V.

• TIME PASSED: Sunny days, picnics, and other pursuits.
Minako: "Katarina taught me English, and all sorts of other things, and she kept all my secrets. I adored her like… a big sister. And she took care of me like a… younger sister."
Usagi /notes body language and hesitations, reads between the lines, and thinks that 'sister' is not the right word. But tactfully does not speak.
Minako: "I even introduced her to Allan…"
Usagi /oh shit
Minako: "…and we had a grand time together, all of us friends, but one day…"

• A RAID ON A WAREHOUSE ON THE BBC BACK LOT: Sailor V and Katarina, ready to burst in. Sailor V goes in first, just in time to see:
1) Barrels of explosive chemicals.
2) An unidentified man running out of the building.
3) The thing he threw behind him as he left: a grenade.

The blast knocks Katarina to the ground, but she is relatively unharmed. But the warehouse is an inferno. Katarina screams for Minako, but there is no answer from the flames.

In a nearby alley, Minako — wounded, but alive — staggers toward the staging area. Her face lights up when she sees Allan coincidentally showing up. Her face falls as Katarina falls into Allan's arms, distraught at Minako's death. "Be strong," he says, "you have me."

Minako doesn't remember the next few minutes too clearly, but when she came back to herself, she was several streets away, covered in rainwater and ash and tears.

• FLASHBACK ENDS:
Usagi /thinks it's awful suspicious that Allan showed up right then and there, especially after such an obvious trap. But tactfully does not speak.
Minako: "…I disappeared from both their lives. I thought it would be… easier… for them, if I pretended to be dead."
Artemis: "So you returned to Japan and dedicated yourself to the fight to try to forget all this? I'm terribly sorry, I had no idea…"
Usagi /cries. "I don't like that story. It's so fucked up. So much pain…"
Minako: "Usagi…"

• THE LIGHTS COME ON: Everyone leaps into action stance.
Papillon /saunters in. "Are you so happy to be killed by me that you're crying tears of joy?"
Usagi: "Okay, you know what? I was in a really bad mood already. And now you just made me mad."

Usagi into Sailor Moon: 37

• BATTLE IS JOINED!
Papillon: "Are you Sailor Moon?!"
Usagi: "I don't give a damn who you think I am."
<< Papillon uses Arm Blade! >>
<< Minako dodges! >>
<< Usagi dodges, barely! >>
Usagi /grabs behind. "…Did the demon just flip my skirt up when she passed?!"
Minako: "I didn't see—?"
Usagi: "Okay, that's it!"
<< Papillon uses—>>
< USAGI : TECH > MOONTIARA : PAPILLON >
<< Papillon is blasted into the fucking wall! >>
Papillon drops the pendant!

Minako picks up the pendant.
Usagi: "Time to finish—"
Minako /starts to cry as she looks at the pendant.
Usagi /?!
Minako: "…please save her…"
Usagi: "SAVE HER? She used you!"
Minako: "The Dark Kingdom turned her into a monster because of me!"
Usagi: "I meant before that! You were thirteen, for God's sake! Don't say it, Luna! V, she doesn't—"
Minako: "This isn't her fault!"
Usagi: "You adored her and she went ahead and—"
Minako /crying. "But she—she's—please—"
Usagi: "All right! All right! I wasn't going to kill her, anyway. (Just one hell of a beating.) Lady, you're getting off easy."
< USAGI : TECH > REFRESH : PAPILLON >
<< Papillon reverts to Katarina! >>
Minako /runs over to Katarina, hug, kiss, cry.
Katarina: "Minako…?" /hugs back. "…I'm so sorry, so so sorry…"
Minako: "It's okay…"
Usagi: "Hell, maybe I'm misinterpreting the whole thing. I make mistakes, sure."
Katarina: "I didn't know your feelings. I thought you were still a child."
Usagi /bites tongue.
Katarina: "I'm so sorry…"
Minako: "It's okay…"

• SUNRISE: (Background music: a sadder rendition of the first half ED.)
Minako watching the sunrise. The others standing back a ways, watching her.

Rei: "¿What happened to Minako?"
Ami: "She looks so sad…"
Makoto: "Shouldn't we—?"
Usagi /firmly. "Leave her alone. For now."
Usagi: "She's run a lot closer to the edge than any of us have, and for longer. It'll take time to heal. Don't dogpile her."
Everyone else /is too surprised to even think of contesting her order.

Minako /staring at an old photo of herself with Katarina and Allan.
Minako: "As long as they're happy together, that's all that matters."
Minako /releases the photo to the wind, and as it drifts away she feels dizzy like she just ripped part of the world out.

Last edited:

Aaron Peori

Retired User
That's right folks. Kunzite found a person who knew Sailor V's secret identity, turned that person into a loyal monster who still remembered Sailor V's secret identity, knows personal (because he was there for her first appearance) that Sailor V and sailor Venus are the same person, has information from an earlier episode that Minako has been in contact with Sailor Moon and...

He still never figures out who Sailor Venus is.

Ladies and gentlemen, the dumbest man in all anime.

----------------
Epsilon

Blazing Bat

Validated User
Re: Episode #42: Sailor Venus's Past, Minako's Tragic Love.

Luna and Artemis /are both master judoka.
Five seconds later, the monster is struggling to pull itself out of the water.
I find it hilarious that even the cats consistently outdo Ami when it comes to combat.

Minako: "…please save her…"
Usagi: "SAVE HER? She used you!"
That was such an OOC moment, IMO. Sailor Moon considering NOT saving someone who was turned into a monster?

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Oh dear GOD. The episode is already sad taken at front value, but your highlighting of the subtext makes it even creepier.

She really has had it rough, poor kid.
Yeah. Which explains the disconnect between her current, "broken" personnality, and what she'll become in later seasons (when she's reconstructed herself).

Ami: "Negative on this scan. The Dark Kingdom is gaining access to our world somehow, but so far, nothing we've turned up has given us a handle on how or where."
At last we get a scene of the Sailor Team actually looking for the Dark Kingdom. Took them long enough.

Also, I love the sunspot subplot.
Spoiler: Show
From what I remember, it doesn't really do anything that matters, but it's a nice way to raise the tension.

Okay, now he isn't even trying. He's got someone who knows Sailor V's identity. Does he ever ask ? No. Does either of them make the connection with Sailor Venus (instead of just "she's got Sailor in her name and fought us before, she might be in relation with the Sailor Team") ? Nope. Minako has to transform right in front of Katarina for her to connect the dots.

Seriously, Kunzite must be shooting himself too the gills on antidepressants for him to fail so comprehensively. Katarina's capture should have been an enormous blow against the Sailor Team, if only he had been a midge bit more competent !

Wait, despite Makoto showing up 8 episodes before Minako ? She's already caught up ? Wow...

Luna: "…I know! Let's steal a boat."
I blame most of the bizarre uses of the Disguise Pen as holdovers from the manga. But this one is completely anime-original, so...

Papillon /does something else to Minako. "TALK, CUNT! Where are the other Senshi?!"
Ah, enhanced interrogation techniques. The bread and butter of all good Interpol agents.

Minako: "…It's okay, I can tell you. It was six months ago…"
And now you know what happened between episode 1 (the last Sailor V sighting in Japan we know of) and 33 (when we see Minako for the first time). And why Artemis had to communicate with Luna through a computer : they were off in England for a few months.

Usagi /thinks it's awful suspicious that Allan showed up right then and there, especially after such an obvious trap. But tactfully does not speak.
Oh dear. I never thought of that, but then I was 9 when I first saw this episode.

Anyway, this was a good, tragic episode... despite the plot hole named Kunzite and the whole subtext of it.

This will not be the last episode indicating that being a Sailor soldier has broken Minako's life. But hey, at least now she's got friends beside the talking cat.

Next episode : something completely different. Do not adjust your set.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User

I never guessed why they his in that cruiser. If they had used the short pause to call the others or something...

Ladies and gentlemen, the dumbest man in all anime.
Mindwipe by the Dark Powers never works well for any brain...
Plus the being emotionally sick and maybe on some otherworldly antidepressiva and painkillers still...

Maybe it's that I've caught a cold, but body language and vocal tone in this episode led me to a much darker interpretation of events
It was.

See ? No dark crystal in his hand !
Luna: "We hit every hotel with a 'Katarina' on the guest book. When we found the place with a busted window and a missing guest, we knew we were on the right track."
Heh.:)
• THE SHIP IS STRANGELY SILENT. Papillon flutters back and forth, hunting for our heroes, who have holed up in a shipboard restaurant of some kind.
Usagi: "There's nobody here. There's nobody here."
Minako: "But she knows we're here."
Artemis: "Maybe the ship is between voyages."
Usagi: "Maybe it's a trap and a monster ate everybody!"
Am I the only one who got a strange memory gust from the Jaseite arc episode he tried to suck the energy from the whole ship ?
The suspect takes a cute little blue-haired girl hostage—then transforms into a goblin-like demon form and cackles maniacally! But then! Sailor V plunges in, kicks the stuffing out of the demon, and frees the little girl.
I saw the youma thing go down and dissolve, did V just *kill* one ? And was it a youma disguised as a mugger or a human transformed into one with some other device ? And if, did Mina then kill a transformed human ?:eek:

Other question:
Did she do it by her Sailor kick alone ?:confused:
Is this some sort of Energy attack kick ?
Then of course it too can be charged enough to kill a youma. Or maybe V pulled out ice skating blades during the kick, and sliced the youma, then snicked them back before landing. Or, maybe, both...:D
• A RAID ON A WAREHOUSE ON THE BBC BACK LOT: Sailor V and Katarina, ready to burst in. Sailor V goes in first, just in time to see:
1) Barrels of explosive chemicals.
2) An unidentified man running out of the building.
3) The thing he threw behind him as he left: a grenade.
Right, a senshi attacked by a total mundane, freaking grenade !:eek:
Minako: "As long as they're happy together, that's all that matters."
Minako /releases the photo to the wind, and as it drifts away she feels dizzy like she just ripped part of the world out.
*shudders*
You are right, dark tone in this here...
...but...
Kunzite: "I've found somebody who knows Sailor V's true identity! A woman in one of their planetary police forces—"
Queen Beryl: "Interpol! Chun-li! You've suborned Chun-Li! Awesome!"
Kunzite: "Er… no?"
This ?!
ROFLOL !
:D

No-Brand Hero

Heroicus Genericus
Validated User

Also, I love the sunspot subplot.
From what I remember, it doesn't really do anything that matters, but it's a nice way to raise the tension.
Queen Metaria is specifically described as "A demon from within the sun". She was born inside the sun and came to Earth to corrupt the people there. Thus the sunspots whenever she starts to fully awaken.

Top Bottom