• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And Ami, because Ami is awesome.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
hm,
"Wie geht es Ihnen?" - "Wo ist die Jugendherberrge?" strikes me like a pun I know from somewhere, I just cannot say from where. Possible ? A-Team maybe ? I recall they flew to Germany once...
No pun that I'm aware of (which doesn't mean there isn't one there, though). :)

"How are you?" and "Where is the youth hostel?", if I'm remembering correctly.

BTW, is it coincidence that Ami wears the same hat in Gargoylewings video link than in your strip, or did you do that on purpose...?
:)
Coincidence, since I thought that might've been a spoilery link. Was I wrong? I can go look.

Gargoylewing said:
You changed that to keep the cram school characterization a bit smaller, didn't you ?
Desperately so, yes.

I'll tell you something else the animators didn't think of. Or the western rights-holders were just anal.

This was the episode where, in the dub shown on US TV, Amy's wearing a seat belt (complete with shoulder strap) when riding in the car. In the original version she is not.

yeah. I think the dub rights holders were just anal.
Almost certainly, given the American television climate for the time. I seem to recall they did Sailor Moon PSAs at the end of each episode, too, for the same reason.

Explanation for otherplacians and those who've grown up in the mighty age of cable: There's been a lot of tension about American children's television over the decades, and some weird Federal Communications Commission rules resulting—and of course, the broadcast networks had their own censorship boards. (Cable has always had its own, much freer rules, since it's not over public airwaves.)

During the 1980s (actually, I think starting in the late-1970s and continuing vaguely into the early 1990s), there was a rule that required that TV networks provide a certain mandatory amount of "educational" children's programming. This wound up being very loosely enforced. G.I. Joe was famous for its public service announcements (PSAs), often tacked onto the end of the episode, or shown separately (as the channels I saw as a kid would do—G.I. Joe was no longer on, but they still showed the PSAs).

Typical G.I. Joe PSA:

Two ethnically diverse children see a piece of pizza on the ground.
Kid #1: "Hey, I dare you to eat that!"
Suddenly, it's the G.I. Joe™ team!
"Hold it, kids! You should never eat things you find lying on the ground. You don't know where it's been and what it's touched, and it could make you very sick. If you do find something on the ground, don't touch it, and tell a grown-up right away."
Kid #2: "Gee, G.I. Joe™, I never knew that!"
"And now you know—and knowing is half the battle!"
CUE: ♫"G.I. Joe — a real American hero! — G.I. Joe!"♫

Voila! Now the show is educational. By the end of this period, some producers were pulling things like claiming, "Hey, they tell the kids to be nice to each other at one point. That's sort of educational." Finally the rule was just dropped. But this is probably why the American Sailor Moon had the little "Sailor Moon" PSA at the ending, where she exhorts kids to be excellent to each other and do their homework.

There were other rules that network censors and parent-teacher associations would look sternly upon—ever since the early days of TV—and probably still do. Basically: no sex, no drugs, no death, and no violent or dangerous acts that an impressionable, stupid, and insane six-year-old might try to imitate. This is why the television versions of some of the old WB and MGM shorts have some weird cuts in them; some censor ruled that the onscreen violence was too violent. A bunch of the later Tom & Jerry cartoons made for TV always had the actual impacts, impalings, and explosions take place off screen. (Being cheaper to animate also contributed.)

And this is why Itchy & Scratchy are so horribly bloody, because they're making fun of the whole thing.

Anyway, Sailor Moon. Weird foreign import. Dubbed and chopped to heck to suit the censors, who are already pretty damn suspicious of this violent and sexualized Japanimation. (It was still pretty common then to find stuff like Legend of the Overfiend shelved next to the Disney videos at the rental place by clueless staffers, which helped anime's public image not at all.) I'm not surprised that the dub editors added in seatbelts. We can't set bad examples for the children.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle...

According to dictionary.com, there's actual an archaic alternative meaning for illusion -- "a very thin, delicate tulle of silk or nylon having a cobwebbed appearance, for trimmings, veilings, and the like."

Um... tulle meaning "a thin, fine, machine-made net of acetate, nylon, rayon, or silk." Named after the village of Tulle, where this particular textiles process originated.

So what she's actually commanding is, "Present yourself, fine silk-like veil of water!"

There you are, then.
No shit.

That actually makes sense.

Wow. Now I have to try to invoke more Vancian archaisms in this thing, you know that, now, right?

Jhiday said:
What folks ? He's an orphan ! We had intense flashbacks to that last season !

(Okay, he's probably got some sort of adoptive family. But they've yet to be mentioned at all.)
Well, he's got money from somewhere. Huge frikkin' apartment in Metropolitan Tokyo, fancy car, nice clothes. He's not earning that money working as a production assistant at the TV station.

My guess is that he's got rich parents paying his way through university. (Not biological parents, but they are his parents, darn it.) Unless we wanna go with him inheriting the family fortune when he came of age, thus explaining all his lonely Byronic poses upon his balcony.

He looks awesome in that suit.

The hordes of women following him obviously agree.
Man, he looks like motherfuckin' Togusa, a guy so badass that he got headhunted for Section 9 where everyone else is cyborgs. Hells, yeah, he looks good in that suit.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think we've got a misunderstanding going on here, or I totally blew the question.

To summarize, I asked Shadowjack a question about Roberta. Shadowjack commented about Roberta (I thought), then commented about Revy. I asked who the voice actress was, meaning Roberta's voice actress. And Ashikaider looked up the actress for Revy.

So let's try it again. Shadowjack, can you tell who the voice actress for Roberta is by listening? (and it's cheating to look it up, everybody)
*goes off and finds a few clips… listens carefully several times with eyes closed…*

…Is that the voice of Linna Yamazaki? Nnnnno. Not quite. Nope, can't identify her.

*looks it up*

Damn it, it was her! Ah, so that's our Rei, eh? "¡In the name of Santa Maria, a hammer blow of righteousness to all injustice!" :cool:

Let's see. What else?

C-ko from Project A-ko. Man, I haven't seen that in a billion years; I barely remember any of it. And, oh, hey, Doris from Vampire Hunter D. The lady with the whip. I always thought Doris must be related to the Belmonts, you know?

And technically I've seen a little bit of Ebichu (she voices Ebichu's owner), but I simply can't keep up with that style of Japanese comedy. (I do know the story about how the anime came about, though.)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, he's got money from somewhere. Huge frikkin' apartment in Metropolitan Tokyo, fancy car, nice clothes. He's not earning that money working as a production assistant at the TV station.

My guess is that he's got rich parents paying his way through university. (Not biological parents, but they are his parents, darn it.) Unless we wanna go with him inheriting the family fortune when he came of age, thus explaining all his lonely Byronic poses upon his balcony.
I go for the latter. He was fairly old at the car accident, so going through the foster system until he came of age is believable.

Absente parents are one thing, but ones who adopted that late? Seems kinda odd.

Hm, I guess maybe some older family who needs an heir, and adopted him solely because he's studious, smart, and could carry on the business. Not so much personally caring for him, but glad they found someone who can fill the role.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I go for the latter. He was fairly old at the car accident, so going through the foster system until he came of age is believable.

Absente parents are one thing, but ones who adopted that late? Seems kinda odd.
Though it does happen.

Hm, I guess maybe some older family who needs an heir, and adopted him solely because he's studious, smart, and could carry on the business. Not so much personally caring for him, but glad they found someone who can fill the role.
Oo! Now that's nice and tragic.

I think a little more, and I like that more, since it mirrors the uniforms trick I'd discussed way back when. (It also contrasts to Usagi's good relations with her family.) See, I know that the Sailor outfit is really the traditional garb of the magical chivalry of the Silver Millennium, and the fact that it strongly resembles 19th-21st century school uniforms is just a demonstration of either race memory or the Juban Coincidence Vortex at work again…

…but take it with the thematic/metaphorical idea of a child dressing up as an adult using the clothes they have. A soldier has a uniform, so the schoolgirl imagining herself as a soldier adapts her school uniform. Society gives 'er the uniform and tells her to wear it, and she coopts it for her own needs and purposes.

So if high society gives him a tuxedo and tells him to wear it, he gets to coopt it for his own needs and purposes.

…Taken to a silly extreme, this means we should be glad he does come from money, or we might be treated to the sight of Grocery Apron Mask.

Going backwards, I suppose the traditional garb of court bodyguards of the Earth Kingdom coincidentally resembles Earth formal wear, which is why he gets that instead of the mail and sword he wore as Endymion.

Wheeeeeeeeeeee overanalysis. :)

JohnBiles

Validated User
Remember, the 'Sailor Suit' style school uniform is loosely descended from actual naval military uniforms. LOOSELY.

Going backwards, I suppose the traditional garb of court bodyguards of the Earth Kingdom coincidentally resembles Earth formal wear, which is why he gets that instead of the mail and sword he wore as Endymion.

Remember, we also see him his old-timey outfit when he's running around as brainwashed Endymion for Beryl.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oo! Now that's nice and tragic.
I was trying to think of something with a bit more background than 'they adopt him and give him money... then they leave.' It seems a little too 'lazy RPG background to explain character wealth' to me :)

If it's tied to some expectations that he pushes himself to fulfill... well, that I can swallow :)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Remember, the 'Sailor Suit' style school uniform is loosely descended from actual naval military uniforms. LOOSELY.
Very loosely.

Remember, we also see him his old-timey outfit when he's running around as brainwashed Endymion for Beryl.
Yep.

More mirroring again, in that both he and Usagi do have appearances in forms other than their Senshi war-form.

Doom Gaze

Nowhere to be found.
Validated User

I kinda thought the Earth Kingdom Bodyguards wore the Dark Kingdom jackets, honestly. But maybe they had time for a quick-change when they met up with Beryl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom