• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Re: Episode #77.5: Sailor Moon R: The Movie (Part 1 of 2)

Your corniness tolerance level must be this high to watch Sailor Moon. (You can't see me, but I'm gesturing very high indeed.) :p
And I'm fine with both Cutie Honey and GaoGaiGar, along with most of the rest of this movie.

"And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."
Yet if the darkness comprehended it not, why did it use a tactic that implied comprehension?

Some villains are "I'm no worse than they are; they're just my enemy" and some are "I am worse than they are, and that's why I'll win." Take your pick.

In the time between Mamoru sneaking out, and Usagi getting pissed enough to open her eyes, they sneaked around in front of her.
Still seems to be a disconnect between what they were doing before and what they were doing after.

My notes were garbled, and I couldn't figure out if I'd written down 25 km (which is scary) or 25 million km (which is hardly newsworthy), and I didn't want to go back and check, so I went with scary.
Keep in mind it's like a sixth of an AU. Though I'm not sure how often asteroids get that close to Earth. Still, by the end, it seems a lot closer to Earth than that.

Hmm, thanks for the scale advice. But what I meant is that it's clearly a business/commercial type of neighborhood rather than a residential neighborhood like Usagi lives in—what I'd call "downtown" (rather than "uptown", "across town", or "out in the burbs.")
And I do live in a city with like an eighth of Minato's population density, which might be why I'm having trouble with the idea of Azabu having a "downtown."

Ah, I'd forgotten about that part of IS5555's treatment.

This merely lends fuel to the perverse pairing of Shinji and Misato. :p
You at all familiar with the original Gundam? Amuro Ray's voice actor, Tooru Furuya, later went on to play Tuxedo Mask. Super Robot Wars reportedly got some good mileage out of that.

And this was the best joke of the recap. :D
D'oh. Didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

You at all familiar with the original Gundam? Amuro Ray's voice actor, Tooru Furuya, later went on to play Tuxedo Mask. Super Robot Wars reportedly got some good mileage out of that.
So I've heard.

Gundam's another one on my "got to get around to seeing" list, due to Historical Value and so forth. Someday I should actually write down the list. :p

EDIT: THE MILLENNIUM IS UPON US!

I'd better watch that next video quick, so I can start the new thread.

Last edited:

Davies

Validated User

Yet if the darkness comprehended it not, why did it use a tactic that implied comprehension?

Some villains are "I'm no worse than they are; they're just my enemy" and some are "I am worse than they are, and that's why I'll win." Take your pick.
Good for them; this isn't one of those villains. Incredibly self-righteous, Fiore is out to prove that Sailor Moon/Usagi is a lying no-good trickster. (This is Word of God, incidentally; the director stated that he created the character to interrogate the relationship between Usagi and Mamoru.) When he threatens her friends, he expects her to sacrifice them in the name of defeating him; her willingness to surrender in order to protect them throws his universe into disarray, as with Val Jean's rescue of Javert. He does not understand that she is as good (moral sense) as she claims to be.

Chris Davies.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
*Sneaks in behind anowack to add in the applause*

The art was beautiful. Perfect capture of each Senshi. :D

And 'Blue' has to be one of my favorite AMV's of all time. Helps that Ami-chan's my favorite character.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
*in before the close*:D

OK, I say, I can now see where the critic on this movie comes from; it takes simply most tropes et all from the Doom Tree arc, and the North Pole fight in the first series (including even a Fiore who merges with his evil queen/mind controller thing, who even then showed a face like Metallia did.); heck, even the part where Mamoru saves Usagi was copypasted, or so it looked, it even used (intentionally) the exact same colors:

:eek:

But, besides this, I must say, awesome recap, Shadowjack.:)
You took the flashbacks, and captured their heart.
:cool:
Granted, those were also mere extensions of the original series; including Mamoru. (And stop blaming Phoebs and Demmy for making Rei look like a witch...;))

The movie itself took what already was there, and extended it for only fitting the movie genre; the area effects, with the reason to have armies of mooks and mow those down, and a Deus Ex Machina (as Sj already pointed out) to end it fittingly.

But besides, I liked the movie quite a bit.:)
I am always pro extending the background of characters.
That it all seemed a bit rehashed is a bit tiresome, but the animation and the fun they worked in even that out; it was actually a bit an episode done into 60 minutes, but not in a bad way.
Also, Chibiusa was surprisingly creative and non-annoying in here.
BTW... Did she call Usai her Mother in the end ?
because...I always had the feeling their was something so that we should have let Sj wait with the movie...ah well...

I also liked their way of using attacks on the fly. And that they used their old attacks (to enhance) too. I only missed the Mercury Bubble Mist here a bit...
Welcome back too Moon Tiara...we salute your use.

Also, Mamoru. He not only got some color due to this movie. He even fought a glorious fight, not only rescuing from the tank himself here, but also showing (again) some well-done Melee fighting bits ( I guess I already said that I like tose), and he also got Fiore down with a precision rose strike.
Granted, he has the right to do so, as he is
...a
Prince of the Earth !
:cool:

Only popint is Fiore, not only because he D.x.M.ed the ending.
He is not only powerful, but has a chance to pierce the veil of the senshis too.
Granted, the Flower might help him here.
Most stuff he provides is speculations, however.
He looks like Ali and En.
He is flower themed.
Even his human guise looks like Anne and Ail...

A convalent evulution ?
The seed (lol) of the Fey planted into the whole universe looking the same ?
A resident from the other side of the Planet where Ali&En came from (hey, you may have ocean as far as you can see, but you cannot see the whole planet...) ?

Or maybe Fiore is from the same race, but was, when the war for the Tree was at the peak, made into the Kar-El of that planet ?!

Anyway, the movie provided us things we will accept into the SM universe, and there, it had Mamoru goofing around with his appearing in the last second in a dashing suit...:D

Also, 2 things have also to be mentionned:
1. Usagi actually saw Mamoru when they were only kids, and she yet already did what she did with the other 4, and with him when she claimed she was his family:
She makes lone people feel less lonely.
2. We may never foget the man that we have to thank for Usagi and Mamoru aving met:
It is all Shingo´s fault...!
:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom