• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had to remove the Easter Eggs because they were messing up the menu structure. :(
Wait… there were? :eek:

I was just kidding!

Actually, I must say that it was a bit of shock running this disc. For a moment, I was wondering if all the voice actors had suddenly been replaced for no good reason… and then I realized that, no, I'm just hearing all the undertones now, because the sound and image quality is superior to the discs I've been using. And there's a bass line for the intro music. And the sound is properly balanced! WHOA. Mind blown. :D

Write-up in progress…

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
:eek:

I was actually kinda worried that there'd be a DROP in quality...
It must've come from a better original master. Or the ones I've got used really shitty compression, which is possible, with a dozen episodes per disc.

(Though the "probably pirated but I don't know for certain" set I've got here aren't that bad, really. Equivalent to a high-quality VHS transfer, or some of the earlier import DVDs; I've been well-satisfied with them. The only thing that stood out to me was that the stereo balance was off-center.)

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The ADV R1 DVDs have a reputation of not being very good in quality, especially sound-wise (and that's certainly the case for the commonly-peddled rips that you seem to have). It's particularly striking in comparison to the R2 DVD rips that surface up here and there (such as the Sailor Moon Center's recent re-release of episodes 1-59). Heck, even my old RealMedia, 45-MB VHS rips sound better than them.

There's a conspiracy theory that Toei gave ADV shitty masters on purpose to prevent back-importing, but then there are conspiracy theories about anything.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
うさぎ: usagi, meaning 'rabbit.' In Western cultures, we traditionally see a man's face in the moon, but in Asia, the same shapes are interpreted as a hunched-over rabbit pounding at a mortar and pestle or similar object. There have been a few folk tales based on this.
like those illusions of the old woman and the young woman, now i've "seen" this, i can't see anything but a rabbit in the moon now; 'course i was barely able to see a face in the moon in the first place :/

水: mizu, meaning 'water.' In its alternate pronunciation, it's the first kanji of 水星 (suisei), the name for the planet Mercury. (The second kanji means 'star,' which is technically incorrect but close enough for ancient astronomers.)
星 (hoshi) on its own means star, but used as a suffix is more general. the word for 'planet' is 惑星 (wakusei), which literally means something like 'puzzling star'. which is of course precisely what they were - before telescopy the planets stood out because of their odd motion across the sky (the Greek root origin of 'planet' itself means 'wandering star')

similarly 彗星 (houkiboshi) = comet, 小惑星 (shouwakusei) = asteroid ('aster' meaning star, of course), 流れ星 (nagareboshi) = meteor

nargun

Banned
You missed the good bit!

See, most kanji have two pronounciations, right? So. 流れ星, "nagareboshi", but with the other pronounciation, 流星, "ryuusei", meaning exactly the same thing[1]. And the same with 彗星, although there's no れ to leave out [because houki is a noun and nagare is a verb]. It can be pronounced "houkiboshi", but it's also read with the other pronounciation, the on'yomi.

"Suisei".

[1] This isn't always true: その方が... means entirely different things whether you read 方 on'yomi or kun'yomi. How do you tell? Context!

Last edited:

JeanneHedge

Validated User
Filler Material Alert!

Dreaming Moon 1993 was a Christmas night event for Sailor Moon fans, basically a short stage show associated with a Tokyo-area showing of the Sailor Moon R movie on December 25, 1993. The stars of the stage show were all 5 main-character voice actresses.

As with all of these kinds of thing (apparently), the voice actresses do silly stuff, tell goofy stories about themselves, lead sing-alongs with an audience filled with hard-core otaku (Silent Night and Jingle Bells, in Japanese), and sing and dance to the movie theme song. Also featured are "stupid doll tricks", performed by life-size big-head dolls and the actresses. Michie "Mars" Tomizawa is your mistress of ceremonies (watch for Aya "Mercury" Hisakasa getting off step from everyone else during the last song).

This is in 3 roughly 8-9 minute parts, and has been fan (I assume) subtitled.

Although Shadowjack (and others) aren't allowed to watch the R-movie yet, I don't think hearing the R-movie theme song is anything in the way of spoiler material. So, if you are curious and don't mind losing a few brian cells...

part 1 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zAsLCrcnUU

part 2 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDEVWr1Rpc

part 3 = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s25RuGs93U4

Last edited:

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, it might tip off Shadowjack to the impending awesome when the first bars start in the movie, but somehow I think he'd figure it out anyway.

Also, hey, that IS a pretty decent song. I'd suspected, but I'd never been sure it would stand alone without the visuals.

JeanneHedge

Validated User
Also, hey, that IS a pretty decent song. I'd suspected, but I'd never been sure it would stand alone without the visuals.
You think it does?

Moon Revenge is one of my favorites from Sailor Moon, just as a song. Another is La Soldier. Yes, I know that one is practically a theme song for the musicals,
Spoiler: Show
but it does show up in the tv series in about 20 episodes from now - in episode 88 of R-series, as background music during the big fight of Neo-Queen Serenity and Small Lady vs Wiseman.

On a different subject,
Spoiler: Show
I can't wait for Shadowjack to start with S series. I suspect he's going to have so much fun with the reactions to Haruka and Michiru, let alone to Uranus and Neptune

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom