• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazing Bat

Validated User
Let's face it; basically this entire episode was an excuse for this single still shot:
It is a very compelling excuse.

Chibi-Usa: "Her private island."
Usagi and Makoto: "HER PRIVATE ISLAND?!"
Clearly, Rei has better business sense than her grandfather :D

Ami: "Speaking of training—"
Usagi: "Run."
Ami /grabs Usagi and Minako. "Your parents only let you come out here after extorting from me oaths of tremendous binding power, that I would be the responsible one and make certain that you two completed your summer homework."
Sounds like something necessary to convince the parents, all right.

Volcano God: "DOOM!"
He is related to a certain ill-tempered plant.

Rei: "Ah, no, you see, I was getting all stressed from suddenly having the entire shrine dumped on me. But then I remembered that Yamandakka has four heads."
Usagi: "Wait, you mean—?"
Rei: "¡Mm-hmm! We're working on the language issue, but right now, I can give her most of my old duties, I take over Papi's old duties, and Papi's running his stupid jazzercise. And Yuichiro helps out, of course, when he's not coaching."
Ami: "I thought you weren't qualified, yet, though."
Rei: "Well, not officially, but I just have Papi sign off on everything, and I'm working on my qualifications, so that's going well. What a load off, I'm telling you."
The consequences of that episode were just ignored by the writers, weren't they?

MEANWHILE
Chibi-Usa, who indeed has drifted out with the tide, is attacked by sharks and saved by a fun-sized plesiosaur.

USAGI! You did slip in some extras when you rebooted the world, didn't you?

no one but us will ever know she was there.
If only.

Luna-P into Something-or-Other: 4
Is there anything it can't do?

Ami: "Come on, guys, don't give up! Look at the cats, they haven't—"
Artemis /seasick. "I forgot how much I hate sea travel."
Luna /BARF.
That was one of the better gags of this episode.
Chibi-Usa /tries to grill the fish.
Chibi-Usa /om nom?
Chibi-Usa /!
Chibi-Usa: "…Hey. Fish isn't so bad!"
It's those nice, well-done, wobbly guts.

Ami, Makoto, Minako, Rei: "Fear not! The Sailor Senshi are HERE!"
Usagi: "…I thought we agreed to do that in unison."

*snip senshi fighting volcano*
I found it pretty impressive that they actually managed to stall it for a while.

DENOUEMENT
Godzilla Defense Force Press Room.
Reporter #4: "But General Gurio, how could prehistoric creatures of such size go unnoticed by the GDF for so long?"
General Gurio: "For a full explanation, we must turn to the respected Rolisican scholar, Doctor Svensson. Peter?"
Doctor Svensson: "Yes." /deploys charts. "We know that goldfish will grow to fit the size of the bowl or pond they are placed within. If the volcanic eruption in the Odasawaran Islands drove a previously-undiscovered species from its former habitat into the open ocean, they would thus be able to begin to grow unrestricted. It is just a theory at this time, but I believe this may explain it."
Reporter #3: "But how can we stop them from nesting in Tokyo Bay? Already many ships have been destroyed."
That Kid: "Gamera will save us!"
Everyone laughs indulgently.
General Gurio: "Our current plan is to deploy Jet Jaguar…"

Watching TV:
Usagi: "Nothing to worry about, she said."
Ami: "…I make mistakes sometimes. Don't let Chibi-Usa see this."
:D

The obligatory beach or hot springs episode. At least it was a change from the regular filler monsters. It was fun to see the girls in a more relaxed setting for once, even if the writers really scraped the bottom of the barrel to find some drama to inject into this episode.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Episode #67: Ocean, Island, Vacation! The Soldiers' Day Off!

So, yeah. Some rumors indicate that Toei were so embarrassed by this episode that they prevented ADV from including it in their R1 release.

Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is all about. It's no worse than your average SuperS episode. It's obviously filler, but it couldn't single-handedly ruin R's pacing (the rest of R already took care of that, anyway). Everyone is more or less in character (and Rei is certainly better than just a few episodes ago). It's inoffensive.

ANOTHER SHRINE ENTIRELY
Er, really ? It still looks like Hikawa Shrine to me. The animators might have messed up and made the stairs higher than they should be, though.

Otherwise, why would Chibi-Usa have expected Rei to be there ?
(And nice continuity here : Chibi-Usa and Rei did a bit of bonding last episode, and it's clearly reflected here.)

My subs of this episode are pretty dire (times new roman !), but that's still more explanation than we get in the actual episode.

Rei /points at the GIANT VOLCANO ISLAND just across the strait.
You know, this episode might have been better if they'd actually foreshadowed that thing at some point before the eruption...

MEANWHILE
Chibi-Usa, who indeed has drifted out with the tide, is attacked by sharks and saved by a fun-sized plesiosaur.
Urm, yeah.
Because it couldn't be a Very Special episode of Sailor Moon without a cute little dinosaur.

THE BOAT
Usagi: "Wow, Mako, when'd you learn to drive a boat so well?"
Makoto: "I can do anything."
Makoto is Batman.
Makoto can breathe in space !

Usagi /draws her Scepter. "Well, I might as well try this sucker. Though goodness knows how I'm supposed to 'cleanse' a pile of rocks."
Er, yeah. That's the downside of only really using one attack.

It does show that the "Halation" spell has some serious firepower, though. (Actually, was it ever shown to "heal" anything ? For the Doomtree it was more a matter of removing 99,99% of the corrupted mass...)

Ami: "Oh, I'm sure they'll find a safe habitat somewhere. We don't have to worry about them."
Yeah, they won't be the surprise cameo of the second movie, as a preparation to their triumphant return in the fourth season. That would just be silly.

Next Episode : the plot finally comes back ! Er, more or less.

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User

So, yeah. Some rumors indicate that Toei were so embarrassed by this episode that they prevented ADV from including it in their R1 release.
I believe the actual explanation was that ADV got the old masters that Toei gave DiC back when they dubbed the show, and those masters didn't include this episode since DiC had made it clear they didn't want to adapt it. ADV didn't want to admit that they were using the old dub materials, but when some dub dialogue ended up accidentally making it into what was ostensibly a Japanese-only subtitled release, the gig was up.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Blazing Bat said:

USAGI! You did slip in some extras when you rebooted the world, didn't you?
Ah, but this is a world which already had genuine fortunetellers and psychic ghosts. I think a few prehistoric survivals are par for the course.

Jhiday said:
Er, really ? It still looks like Hikawa Shrine to me. The animators might have messed up and made the stairs higher than they should be, though.
I'm really not sure, since I don't recall any long shots of the shrine, or just how large it's supposed to be. (Larger than the real-world shrine, I know that.)

Generally, the Hikawa Shrine so far seems to be animated with a ground-level entrance on the street, with a short run of stairs (open to the sky) up to the main grounds, which are also open to the sky, though there are a few scattered trees. Sometimes there are stairs beneath trees leading up to the main grounds; I could believe two entrances, or just dramatic license on the entrance.

This shrine had a long staircase beneath trees running up, and the shrine grounds had large trees within it and about it, shading the whole area.

I suppose they could have gone up the forested "side entrance", and been hanging out around the previously-unseen back of the shrine…

You know, this episode might have been better if they'd actually foreshadowed that thing at some point before the eruption...
Surprisingly enough, they actually did, though I skipped one of them.

It's clearly visible in the background in a couple of shots, and there are two separate pre-shocks before the eruption. Though the way they set it up initially, I was expecting a dinosaur attack, rather than a volcano.

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User

It does show that the "Halation" spell has some serious firepower, though. (Actually, was it ever shown to "heal" anything ? For the Doomtree it was more a matter of removing 99,99% of the corrupted mass...)
Yeah, given what we've seen it used against, Cardians and Droids, I don't think it's a proper cleansing attack like Escalation was, but just a brute force blast. That's pink and pretty and sparkles and has weird music.

On another note, I was kinda surprised at my cameo. I was certain you'd have put me as the guy who rented the senshi a boat in the first place! And of course Mako can pilot the thing. She's a Sailor after all. :D

Blazing Bat

Validated User
This shrine had a long staircase beneath trees running up, and the shrine grounds had large trees within it and about it, shading the whole area.

I suppose they could have gone up the forested "side entrance", and been hanging out around the previously-unseen back of the shrine…
No, this is clearly the Hikawa shrine. The forested long stairs are already seen right at the start of Episode 30 (the one where Gramps and Yuichiro are frolicking among the trees). It also shows the huge trees in that episode. And I have never noticed a ground level entrance to the shrine.

Gargoylewing

flying over a post-factual world
Validated User
It was so obviously a filler, ne...?
And not a good filler like that in the first season, which was the inevitable hot springs episode now compared to this inevitable beach episode. That did at least show one thing:
Mamoru has turned girl´s heads left and right, not only the Princess Serenity´s.
And mostly maybe without noticing, or "doing anything".
Plus, it showed he has some powers over the spirits swelling the Earth...
Spoiler: Show
plus, it might have been that he did not only turn those 2 heads, but maybe Nehellenia´s a little bit, too...

Let's face it; basically this entire episode was an excuse for this single still shot:
OK, seems like you found a point in that episode I haven`t...:eek:
Makoto: "Are you sure this is the right shrine?"
It is entirely possible that a shrine has multiple entrances, although maybe only one main one (for visitors/believers). As it is quite a big area, with a number of buildings and places. Maybe they should have placed Hugin and Mui....erm, I mean, Phobos and Deimos, there, to show it is the right one.
It is sadly their only function they still have in this anime...:(

Minako: "I think so. I had to ask Yamandakka, and she can only speak two words. One of them is 'Yamandakka' and the other one isn't."
I hate to be again the funkiller, but...
I am heavily sure Ann an Ail took Yamandakka with them, re-transformed into a card. Sure, we never saw them retransform them, but I guess it worked (thatr one crazy one was just too fast). Plus, their stay on Earth has worn their stock of cardians down heavily, and they may need it if they find a new planet for themselves.
/And if that did not convince you, I call upon the main rule of fillers:
In the end, EVERYTHING has to look like it did before ! )
Minako: "Awesome."
I knew she has rich family, but a whole island !?
Well, Yuichiro´s parents are rich too, maybe they laid together to buy it...:D
Usagi: "Chibi-Usa, did Rei mention the name of the island?"
Well, no problem, I am sure her grandfather knows it, and is surely willing to answer to cute little teenaged girls...:p
Rei: "Well, swimming is part of any good physical program— ¡Hey! ¡Stay out of my luggage!"
Another bit of funny background animation: Cats searching through Rei´s clothes...:D
Ami /grabs Usagi and Minako. "Your parents only let you come out here after extorting from me oaths of tremendous binding power, that I would be the responsible one and make certain that you two completed your summer homework."
One-dimensional characterisation aside, SJ again makes more sense than the episode part itself...
Rei: "Actually, it's a time-share, and we get it cheap, anyway."
See ? Yoruichi´s family had their hands in, I knew it !
Rei /points at the GIANT VOLCANO ISLAND just across the strait.
Yeah, that really is a downside on the housing market...
Volcano God: "DOOM!"
Oh, oh, throw a Ring in it ! And a Hobbit ! And have Icland parachute-dive into it !
...sorry...^.^
TIME PASSES
They show off their swimsuits and take pictures.
Inevitable for a Beach Episode...
Rei: "I take over Papi's old duties, and Papi's running his stupid jazzercise. And Yuichiro helps out, of course, when he's not coaching."
Ami: "I thought you weren't qualified, yet, though."
Rei: "Well, not officially, but I just have Papi sign off on everything, and I'm working on my qualifications, so that's going well. What a load off, I'm telling you."
Hmmm...
The consequences of that episode were just ignored by the writers, weren't they?
Maybe...
They just did not think it through, I say. Will there ever be some sign of it of this being revoked ?
Rei: "Thank you. ¿Aren't you hungry, Chibi-Usa?"
Chibi-Usa: "…I hate fish."
Rei: "Say, now, you didn't even try it! (And it's all there is, anyway…)"
Chibi-Usa: "I HATE IT!" /throws it in the sand.
Rei: "¡Hey! ¡Makoto worked hard on that!"
Chibi-Usa: "I HATE IT! And I hate Stupid Rei, too!" /storms off.
Yeah, see, there are reasons why Chibiusa is hated by so some people...
Usagi: "Out in the lagoon. It's okay, her floating Luna Head is lifeguarding her, she's not gonna drown."
Luna: "That thing looks nothing like me."
Artemis: "She's not there now."
Everyone /springs to their feet. "WHAT?!"
It look at least more like her than that clock from the first season (what was it, 4th or even 5th episode?)...
Anyone remember that episode ?
I do, and I did even before SJ started this review here. Weird, ne ...?
Usagi: "Wow, Mako, when'd you learn to drive a boat so well?"
Makoto: "I can do anything."
Usagi: "…That's not an explanation!"
Ami: "She can do anything!"
Psh, remember, Jupiter is not all about oaks and stuff, and storms and lightning.
It is about ruling too...
Remember JLU: Only Zeus is perfect.
Minako: "You should have disguise-penned up as a beautiful Coast Guardswoman. Then you could take the other boat and we could cover twice the area!"
Luna /mutters: "…why is it always a 'beautiful' whatever?"
Artemis: "I believe splitting the party would be inadvisable. Keep your eyes open, ladies!"
Again, SJ is making sense...:)
say, folks, when did that disguise pen fall out of use ? I formerly thought with the timeshift at the end of season 1. But it did reappear again in the Doom Tree filler arc, didn´t it ?

And nice to see SJ remembers the first words Luna muttered after the first transformation of Usagi...^.^
VOILA!
A hand-held hypercavitating propulsion device! Chibi-Usa and her new friend are soon far, far away from the dizzy sharks, hidden in a sea cave on GIANT VOLCANO ISLAND.
That is...actually really useful...
Isn´t it funny that Luna-P is as a weapon better than the Pink Hearts?

Chibi-Usa: "Well, how about Kirin? 'Cause you sort of look like one."
Plesiosaur: "CHIRP?"
Chibi-Usa: "You like Kirin?"
Plesiosaur: "CHIRP."
Chibi-Usa: "Okay! Yay!"
WHAT !?!
This thing looks nothing like an original Kirin, if Chibi-Usa has ever seen one !
Rei /walks forward.
<< Rei : Cast > BurnMandala : Lava >>
Well, it is not completely immune. This is what this episode at least showed, if only unsharp:
They not only burn. They cut... Like lasers. Of course, even a dozen laserblades are not enough to cut through a wave of (molten) rock...
Minako /throws Love Me Chain at some boulders, and pulls them into position to redirect the lava flow into the crevice.
Remember, Shadowjack, when we told you the solidity of the VLMC has its advantages.
This is one of them. In fact, it is the biggest.
Usagi /draws her Scepter. "Well, I might as well try this sucker. Though goodness knows how I'm supposed to 'cleanse' a pile of rocks."
<< Usagi : Cast > Halation : Rubble >>
< Rubble destroyed! Plesiosaurs freed! >
And this is the other thing that made this episode make some use:
I always was sure this Halation is not a simple cleansing attack.
Those little crescent moons flying out through that blue energy field ? They are also cutting.
Yes, they cut like the tiara did.
Those droids were turned into crystall dust by being cut multiple times till they run outta hit points, so to speak. And, yes, that means the Doom tree might have been cut too save the little new sprout...
...hey, I did not say there is entirely no cleansing power in it...
The plesiosaurs pace the boat for a time, then swim off into the distance.

Chibi-Usa /waves good-bye.
Yeah, in that 'verse, 2 Plesiosauruses (or what happened to the father ? moving on finding a new mate?!) really are not more unusual...

Edit:
a Kirin

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
/And if that did not convince you, I call upon the main rule of fillers:
In the end, EVERYTHING has to look like it did before ! )
Which is patently untrue of the Doomtree arc, which did all of the following :
- Restore everyone's memories after the Season 1 Finale.
- Restore the Silver Crystal.
- Give Sailor Moon her new attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom