• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
Yamandakka is almost certainly going to be sticking around for a while, since there's no place where it gets killed on screen anytime soon... :D

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
No, this is clearly the Hikawa shrine. The forested long stairs are already seen right at the start of Episode 30 (the one where Gramps and Yuichiro are frolicking among the trees). It also shows the huge trees in that episode. And I have never noticed a ground level entrance to the shrine.
Ah, you're right, that's the episode I was thinking of with the forested staircase—but I forgotten the forest back of the shrine. So it is the back side of the shrine (or another corner of the property). Just not an angle we usually see—usually they hang out on the porch on the main building, or over by the souvenir shop.

And by "street level" I meant there seems to be a staircase that runs almost directly from the sidewalk to the main torii gate. The post where we often see the ravens hanging out (used in "and now, the shrine" establishing shots) seems to be near here. No trees at the top, maybe some on the sides.

Damn it, now I'm obsessing about the layout. I should have been taking sketches. :p

*does minimal research*

Let's see, a shrine needs:
  • Entrance. Duh. Often stairs or a special path for the approach. I found a term for rear entrances, so if there are more than one here, it's cool, there's precedent.
  • Torii gate, minimum one. Check. You see it from the street, above the stairs.
  • Haiden worship hall, with the bell outside, etc. Check.
  • Honden inner sanctuary, where the shintai (the sacred fing wot 'olds the kami) resides. Optional; some shrines venerate a tree or mountain or something, instead. Haven't seen this, but then we probably shouldn't have; even the priests don't muck about in here much, because it's sacred.
  • Souvenir shop, at popular shrines. Check.
  • Fountain to wash your hands before praying. Have we seen this? Must be there, though.
  • Lion dog guardian statues. I think we've seen these once or twice.
  • Some place to perform the sacred dances. I don't think we've seen this, unless they use the "parade ground" in front.

It occurs to me that I don't know if the priests actually dwell on the shrine grounds, or next to it; I notice that shinto finds boundaries important, marking off ritual spaces in successive layers of importance. In any case, we've seen parts of the house where Rei, Gramps, and Yuichiro live—which is built along traditional lines—and we've seen the outbuilding that Gramps is using for his jazzercise.

I don't know whether the building Rei uses to meditate before the flames is the worship hall, or a separate building (mini-shrine, or just a meditation space). I always figured it's an eternal flame sort of set-up, though. Apparently laiety aren't usually permitted into the halls, but, heck, the Sailor Senshi are sort of priestesses already, and possibly qualify as living shintai (just like top-ranked sumo wrestlers), so they get a pass.

A sizeable chunk of forest back of the shrine, and definitely a few trees in front.

Thing I'd never thought about: Rei's a miko, and a serious one, so she should know the kagura dances. On the other hand, didn't she suck at the ballroom dancing? …Though they're separate forms, of course.

Gargoylewing said:
Oh, oh, throw a Ring in it ! And a Hobbit ! And have Icland parachute-dive into it !
...sorry...^.^
This one knows. :D

Gargoylewing said:
WHAT !?!
This thing looks nothing like an original Kirin, if Chibi-Usa has ever seen one !
Yeah, I had to look it up to jog my memory, 'cause I'm going what?

However, I had forgotten that in times long past, kirin were equated with giraffes, and apparently that usage has endured, which helps it make sense. Chibi-Usa says in the original dialogue that Kirin is a good name because the critter has a long neck.

…Doesn't look much like a giraffe, either, but what the hell. She's what, five, six?

After we saw her precision with a mundane frisbee, I think that would not be that far off...:D
Point. She's got fantastic aim.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And mad wind ninja dodge.

Obviously Usagi twinked out her Dexterity when no one was looking. AND her attack is stronger than all the other Senshi combined.

Stupid powergamers. ;p

-----------------
Epsilon

Yeah, but she's got terrible initiative—always fires off the mega-attack after everyone else gets their shot.

It helps that she bought off Klutz, though.

JohnBiles

Validated User
Yeah, but she's got terrible initiative—always fires off the mega-attack after everyone else gets their shot.

It helps that she bought off Klutz, though.
"Usagi, with your dex and bad rolling, getting out of BED is a dramatic skill resolution."
--My sig quote for a long time.

(full scene inside Spoiler Block, from SMZ. No spoilers for future events, one OC (Minako's boyfriend Steven...))

Spoiler: Show

The streets of Calcutta are muggy, foggy, and generally unpleasant
during the rainy season, and this day was no exception. The trio of
heroes fled through the fog, trying to outrun the shadowy humanoids
shambling through the mist after them.

One of them, a man, turned and looked back through the mist. His
enhanced sight cut through the fog. He could still see twenty or so of
the hideous plant-man monsters in pursuit. We must have lost the other
ten, he thought. "They're still coming." Beneath his dark robe, armor
could be seen, emblazoned with a red cross on the chest. However, no
medieval smith could have made THIS armor. Servos whined as he pulled out
what looked like a rosary made of electronic components. Kissing the
circuityry-laden cross, he raised his sword. With a sharp POP! and the
smell of ozone, power crackled along the blade.

One of his companions, a woman with long dark hair, said, "We
can't run forever, Darien." She wore an outfit of flowing silks cinched
at her waist by a simple leather belt. Her eyes were heavily outlined
with kohl and a simple brass tiara kept her hair out of her eyes. She
looked like she had just stepped off the walls of a Pharaoh's tomb, except
for a spiral notepad she had stuck in her belt.

The other one made the same point by tripping and falling down on her
face. Her long white hair billowed as she collided with the concrete.
"Owwie!!!!!" She sprawled on the ground in a long green dress, her dark
skin blending in fairly well with the black tarred street. She dropped a
long green wand she was holding as she fell.

The first woman sighed. "Usagi, can't you roll something besides a
one?"

"Hey, I don't roll ones all the time!"

"JUST WHEN IT'S IMPORTANT!"

The man tried to interpose himself. "You roll ones too, Naru-chan."

"Not every other time!"

A voice boomed from the heavens. "While you are arguing, the gospog
charge out of the mist and attack."

The second woman pulled out her wand to blast the gospog, hideous
shambling plant-men armed with swords, only to realize when she tripped it
had gone flying up into a tree. She went to climb the tree to get it.

The voice boomed from the heavens. "This is going to be a dramatic
skill resolution. Three steps..."

The voice was interrupted by a loud, "WAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" followed by,
"Just to climb the tree and get my wand?"

"Usagi, with your dex and bad rolling, getting out of BED is a
dramatic skill resolution."

"Mamo-chan! Get Naru to stop picking on me!"

"At least she didn't try to use the disguise pen she doesn't have
again," another voice boomed from the heavens. This one was female. "So
do we show up or what?"

"The gospog shamble forward. You seem hideously outnumbered when
two figures come out of the mist. One is a woman with long black hair,
wearing an aviator's hat, a tight blouse and a knee length skirt. She is
flying, and carrying the second figure, a barely clad lizard man carrying
a long bamboo spear."

"More monsters! AAAAAAA!!!!!!"

"That's me and Steven, you goofball!" Minako shouted, tossing a
paperwad at Usagi.

Everyone broke character as a paper fight broke out. They were
trying to play one of Umino's RPGs, a game called TORG where the Earth was
being invaded from other dimensions. They usually played on Saturday
nights, especially when they didn't have enough money to go out. This was
the third time they had played. It had started with just Usagi, Naru, and
Mamoru, but this week, Steven had heard about the game from Umino and
dragged Minako into it.

As it was, it would be a while before they got the game back on
track.

jcfiala

Code Monkey
Validated User
Everyone broke character as a paper fight broke out. They were
trying to play one of Umino's RPGs, a game called TORG where the Earth was
being invaded from other dimensions.
Oh, I remember those bits. I _loved_ those bits.

Davies

Validated User
…Doesn't look much like a giraffe, either, but what the hell. She's what, five, six?
... it's complicated, but best guess is around eight or nine, though one version has her physical age frozen at five, for no adequately explained reason.

Chris Davies.

nargun

Banned
Yeah, I had to look it up to jog my memory, 'cause I'm going what?

However, I had forgotten that in times long past, kirin were equated with giraffes, and apparently that usage has endured, which helps it make sense. Chibi-Usa says in the original dialogue that Kirin is a good name because the critter has a long neck.
Apparently... the standard word for giraffe is kirin [キリン in katakana, like most animal names are usually written these days], while the mythical creature is also kirin, but 麒麟, in kanji.

[amusingly, kirin brewing is the kanji, but kirin holdings is in katakana. And my IME is playing up and that was a pain to write.]

This leads to one of the very few jokes in Twelve Kingdoms.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
... it's complicated, but best guess is around eight or nine, though one version has her physical age frozen at five, for no adequately explained reason.

Chris Davies.
Complicated, huh? All right, I'll wait and see. :)

Because at the moment she seem to me to be closer to kindergarten than third grade. Though different culture, dramatic exaggeration, etc.

Apparently... the standard word for giraffe is kirin [キリン in katakana, like most animal names are usually written these days], while the mythical creature is also kirin, but 麒麟, in kanji.

[amusingly, kirin brewing is the kanji, but kirin holdings is in katakana. And my IME is playing up and that was a pain to write.]

This leads to one of the very few jokes in Twelve Kingdoms.
"So what kanji is the brewing company?" was going to be my very next question after that helpful explanation, so thank you. :D

"What'll you have?"
"A Kirin."
/hands him a giraffe.
?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom