• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
#68: Protect Chibi-Usa! Clash of the Ten Warriors.

SOMEBODY'S GETTING, SOMEBODY'S GETTING, SOMEBODY'S GETTING MARRIED TODAY!
A church devoted to Saint Tertullian. ("Nos ipsi ut lepores, destinata uenatio, de longinquo obsedimur…")

(I know it's the wrong Tertullian, go with it.)

Padre: "I now pronounce you man and wife."
Bells, cheers, champagne uncorked, penguins jump for joy.
Usagi: "Finally!"
Mamoru /goofy grin.

BUT OF COURSE
Usagi: "…careful, everybody, the champagne spray is getting my dress wet…"
Usagi /wakes up all the way.
Usagi: "…frell."
Usagi /?
Usagi: "Why do I feel cold and wet in the middle of summer?"
Usagi: "…"

Usagi /leaps from bed in shock and disgust.

The bed has been wet.

Usagi /stares in shock and dismay.
Usagi: "I dream of a wedding and the universe dumps piss on me. Thank you, O Gods, for your refreshing opinion of my hopes and wishes."
Luna /is now awake, too.
Luna /sniff sniff.
Luna: "You didn't."
Usagi: "Luna."
Luna: "A girl your age."
Usagi: "Luna!"
Luna: "Pleasant dreams?"
Usagi: "LUNA! My pajamas are dry."
Luna: "I have functional eyes and nose, girl, I know that. What's that lump under your covers?"
Usagi /pulls back the damp bedspread and stares.
Chibi-Usa /sleepily. "Wha—?"
Usagi: "CHIBI-USAAAAAAAAA!!!" :mad:

THE DARK OMEN
Wiseman: (via holoprojection) "When sun turns his feet towards home, in the town called Juban, I see light in the sky where the ancestors walk—"
Rubeus /reasonably. "Wiseman, just because I spend my days with four women with exotic accents does not mean I wish that sort of thing from all my professional contacts."
Wiseman: (via holoprojection) "Phew, good, that dramatic voice is a real pain in the tuckus to keep. Well, lad, I predict the Rabbit's energy will manifest near a pedestrian bridge in Juban."
Rubeus: "Thank you, sir. I'll have the team scout for locations immediately. By the way, sir, how are things going at home? Well, I hope?"
Wiseman: "One may always hope…"

WISEMAN'S NEWS
We see the crystal city of Chibi-Usa's memories under siege. Once the towers shone in the sun, or glowed within the city haze, casting their light across the green and welcoming lands that surround it. No longer. On this day, the skies—as always, these days—are black with crystalline warships and aerials mines. The fleets maneuver in constant war patterns, attacking, withdrawing, attacking again. The air is dry, and heavy with smoke and ozone from the constant discharge of energetics. Incidental lightning bolts ripple constantly through the heated darkness.

But the city still stands.

Every ship or torpedo that strays near the perimeter, every bolt loosed across the city's border, is shattered like chalk against adamant, by a curtain of colored beams that shine boldly through the murk, defying all assaults. The curtain holds, and the city still stands.

We catch the barest glimpse of the central temple, filled with light, where about the city's center crystal point stand four women, clad in white and colors, hands clasped. From their combined efforts pours elemental power.

We recognize the four immediately, of course.

DARK OMEN
Rubeus /points at this last picture. "What is this footage? Who are they?"
Wiseman: "A very difficult image to obtain. These are the four warriors who maintain the barrier against our armada. Terrible foes."
Rubeus: "Interesting. Their uniforms resemble those of these 'Sailor Scouts' who oppose us in this world…"
Wiseman: "We have little time for speculation. Find the Silver Crystal and destroy it! Wiseman, speaking for Black Clan, out."
Rubeus: "Hm."
Rubeus: "Phantom Sisters! Come to the center immediately for new orders."

DAY
Usagi is irritably airing out her bedding.

Shingo /starts to sing, "Usagi wet the—"
Usagi: "Shingo. I am bigger than you and if you keep this up I will rub your face in it."
Shingo: "…"
Usagi: "Thank you. Chibi-Usa! I see you skulking past! Get over here!"
Chibi-Usa /runs.
Usagi: "Damn it!"

A little while later.

Luna: "Usagi…"
Usagi: "I know, I know, I shouldn't have shouted at her! Little kids wet the bed! I know. But why'd she have to wet my bed?!"
Luna: "I would guess that she was lonely and scared and sneaked into your room because you're like a big sister to her."
Usagi: "…"
Luna: "And then you had to go and shout at and heckle her."
Usagi: "Gosh, Luna, you never do that."
Luna: "Ahem! Hem. Excuse me. What I meant to say—"
Usagi: "—is that we should go look for her before she gets into trouble and gets scared and inadvertantly brings the alien hordes down upon us again."
Luna: "Exactly. I'll go this way and you go that way."
Usagi: "Can't you do it? I was gonna go shopping with the girls."
Luna: "…I'll go this way and you—"
Usagi: "Whoever came up with that spell was a genius, lemme tell you. Kid gets scared, light shines, stuff explodes. Brilliant!"
Luna: "If you'll recall, you possess a similar power. Remember when you were still learning the ropes?"
Usagi: "…Oh, yeah. The sonic scream crybaby attack. I'd almost forgotten. Hm. I suppose there's got to be a better way to handle a magically-empowered girl than shouting at her."
Luna: "…"
Luna: "I'll go this way and—"
Usagi: "I'm going! I'm going!"

A PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE IN JUBAN
Chibi-Usa's sitting on the steps.

She remembers a time when she wet her (four poster) bed, and felt so incredibly ashamed, but Mom was like a comforting angel, and forgave all, and made her feel better and loved and strong.

Chibi-Usa /hugs Luna-P desperately. "I wanna go home." :(
Chibi-Usa /considers the Key.
Chibi-Usa /remembers the last attempt, and how badly that went.
Chibi-Usa: "…"
Chibi-Usa: "I don't CARE!" /activates the Key! "If at first you don't succeed…"

Pink bolt, starshine, swirling smokes… and a portal appears. Chibi-Usa begins to be drawn upward, into the portal—

Chibi-Usa: "I did it!"

—which flickers and fades out.

Chibi-Usa /stands up. "WHAT? WHY? Why didn't it work?!" /starts to cry for real.

NEARBY
Luna: "…aaaaaand there's the pillar of light. Oh, I hope Usagi hurries, or this won't be pretty."

CHIBI-USA
Berthier /appears on the stairs below Chibi-Usa. "Aw, did somezing sad happen, little rabbit? Quel dommage!"
Chibi-Usa /!
Koan /appears on the stairs above Chibi-Usa. "Berthier, I found the Wabbit first! I should have the honow!"
Chibi-Usa /!!
Berthier: "Not so!"
Koan: "Is so!"
Berthier: "Zen whoever kills her first will be ze winner, non?"
Berthier and Koan /share sisterly evil laughter.
Chibi-Usa /!!!
Luna-P /swoops upon Berthier from behind.
Berthier falls down the stairs.
Berthier: "…OW."
Chibi-Usa /seizes the moment and RUNS LIKE HELL!
Berthier /right over my poor back! "OW!"
Koan /pursues, not caring what's in her path!
Berthier /not again! "OW!!!"

Luna-P /swoops upon Koan.
Koan /parries, casually. "This nursing toy won't stop m—"
Luna /leaps upon Koan. "MEEEOOOOOWWWW!!!"
Koan /!
Koan is scratched up and falls down.
Berthier: "Oopsy! It appears Koan 'as fallen. I may accidentally step upon her sp—"
Luna-P /swoops upon Berthier from behind.
Berthier falls on her spine. Again.
Berthier: "…owwwww…"
Koan /grabs Luna by the scruff…
Luna /!
Koan /AND SHOVES HER INTO THE DAMN WALL.
Koan /and hits her a couple of times with blunt objects to make sure.
Koan /twice!
Luna /K.O.
Koan /pant pant.
Berthier /would like an ice pack now. "…almost killed by ze cat. For shame."
Koan: "Cat? That's a master-wevel judoka shapeshifted into the fowm of a cat, I'm sure of it. How's the spine?"
Berthier: "I won't talk about ze cat if you won't talk about ze kid's toy."
Koan: "Deal. Wet's get after the Wabbit."

JUST DOWN THE STREET FROM TOKYO RADIO TOWER
Ami: "…okay, this is way too late, even for Usagi."
Makoto: "Maybe there's been another attack?"
Rei: "We'd have sensed it. She just overslept as usual."
Minako: "If you like, I could act chirpy enough for two!" /LOL ;) ;) ;)
Rei: "…no thank you."
Artemis: "I'm a bit disappointed. Luna kept encouraging me to take in a day with the five of you, and now it looks like it'll just be you four— oh, my god, Luna?!"
Luna /limping. "…hi, guys… we've been having a bad day, in the Tsukino family…" /collapses.

General rush of attention.

Rei: "Who?"
Makoto: "Where?"
Ami: "When?"
Luna /explains, gasping.
Minako /Voice of Command. "Artemis, take care of Luna. The rest of you, on me. Move!"

CONVENIENTLY ISOLATED CONSTRUCTION SITE, CLOSED FOR THE DAY
Just outside the fence, Usagi spots Chibi-Usa crawling through a hole in the barrier.
Usagi: "…the hell?" /follows.
Usagi /crawls through the hole.
Usagi /clambers over the piles of bricks and rebar.
Usagi /scoots between the stacks of tubes.
Usagi /hears Chibi-Usa crying quietly to herself.
Usagi /!

But before Usagi can step out to comfort Chibi-Usa…
Chibi-Usa /fires up Luna-P's communicator. "Puu!"
Puu: "…Are you crying, Usagi? Strong girls like you shouldn't cry."
Chibi-Usa: "Puu, I'm not strong, I'm scared!"
Puu: "Be brave. You have powerful allies."
Chibi-Usa: "No, I don't."
Puu: "You do! Haven't the Sailor Scouts always helped you before?"
Chibi-Usa: "But the bad guys are so much stronger. Look what they did to Mommy! Even Daddy couldn't beat them!"
Puu /patiently. "But the Sailors of our city are still fighting to protect your Mom, and your Dad, and Crystal Tokyo, and even the world you are in now. Believe in Sailor Moon and her warriors. I'm sure they can help you." /signs off.
Chibi-Usa /sobs. "Puu!"
Usagi /Neo. "Whoa."
Koan /bursts in, dramatically. "FOUND YOU, WABBIT! Now, you die!"
Usagi /grim smile.

STARKLY CORUSCANT TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE COUNTER
Usagi into Sailor Moon: 43+16
Usagi into Princess Serenity: 1
Usagi into Disguise Form: 9
Ami into Sailor Mercury: 15+2
Rei into Sailor Mars: 13+2
Makoto into Sailor Jupiter: 8+2
Minako into Sailor Venus: 7+2
Mamoru into Tuxedo Mask: 2
Luna-P into Something-or-Other: 5

SUDDENLY!
Usagi /vaults over the stack of construction materials. "Guess who?"
Koan: "Shit!"
Usagi /assumes a guard position before Chibi-Usa. "Where're the rest of the Otaku Girls?"
Koan: "That's PHANTOM SISTERS. And I do bewieve that—"
The three other Phantom Sisters enter, dramatically.
Petz: "—ve are here."
Usagi: "Oh crap."
Calaveras: "From Planet 10—"
Berthier: "—La Luna Noire—"
Koan: "—the Bwack Moon Cwan's finest!"
All together now: "The Four Phantom Sisters!"
Petz: "In the name of the Dark Moon, ve vill punish hyu."

Suddenly—the march of boots.
Usagi: :D
The Sisters /?

CRANK UP THE MUSIC
Enter the Sailors, dramatically. Time for the slow-motion "The Right Stuff" Power Walk.

Rei: "Sailor Mars, priestess of fire!"
Ami: "Sailor Mercury, mistress of waters!"
Makoto: "Sailor Jupiter, who calls the lightning!"
Minako: "Sailor Venus, knight commander of love!"
Usagi: "And Sailor Moon."
Chibi-Usa /wow.
Petz: "The eldest sister, Petz, of der dahrk lightning."
Calaveras: "The second, Calaveras, fastest whip in the Oort!"
Berthier: "Ze third, Berthier, dominator of ze waves!"
Koan: "The youngest sister, Koan, caller of anti-fire."

Face off. Rose petals swirl across the field of battle.

IT BEGINS!
Sailor Moon shields Chibi-Usa and watches the course of the battle.

Koan conjures brilliant freezing flame and hurls it forward in a wash of blue. Mars makes all the welding fuel canisters burst, and directs the swirling flames into the cold wave, warming it and sending the fire right back at her.

Berthier and Mercury stand apart, a torus of water suspended between them, as each condenses water from the air and feeds it into the pattern. Neither surrenders an inch.

Venus and Calaveras leap up, down, and over the construction stacks, whip vs. chain. So swift and accurate is their combat, not a single brick is disturbed, but the crackle of their weapons fills the air like a drumbeat.

Petz hurls upon Jupiter lightning bolts of all-absorbing darkness, but Jupiter moves as fast as lightning, and simply steps aside. Disdaining magical attacks, she comes on, fists cocked, but Petz, smiling, remains ever just beyond her reach.

SUDDENLY!
Sailor Moon is struck from above by purple energy bolts. She cries out and falls across Chibi-Usa, still trying to shield her.

Rubeus, who fired the shot: "Play time is over!"
Usagi: "No fair shooting at non-combatants!"
Rubeus: "No such thing. Crimson Rubeus, Black Moon Clan." /mocking bow.
Usagi: "Sailor Moon, Love and Justice."
Rubeus: "You get one free question."
Usagi: "Why kill a child?"
Rubeus: "Our mission is to change the future course of this city. Sorry, lady, but the kid's gotta die."

Rubeus flings bolts again and again, with terrible accuracy. Usagi, bearing Chibi-Usa with her, leaps and dodges again and again—until she catches a blast about the legs, and is hurled head-first into a wall. Peppered with shrapnel, dazed, bloodied, she falls.

OUCH
Usagi /face-down. "I hear Chibi-Usa screaming my name. Someone must be hurt."
Usagi /face-down. "…Oh."
Rubeus /wastes no time and targets Chibi-Usa. "Nothing personal, kid."
Usagi /stands up.
Rubeus: "…good galaxy. Aren't you dead yet?"
Usagi: "Not yet."
Usagi /limp, limp. "I will protect this girl NO MATTER WHAT."

Enter Tuxedo Mask, dramatically, armed with +3 blessed throwing roses.

Mamoru: "And I shall not tolerate any villain who threatens a young girl's life!"
Rubeus: "Wordy bastard!"
<< Rubeus shoots Mamoru! >>
< Mamoru dodges! >
<< Rubeus shoots Mamoru! >>
< Mamoru blocks with his cloak! >
<< Mamoru : Cast > Barragarden : Rubeus >>
< Rose Garden Barrage! Rubeus is hit! Rubeus is hurt! >
Rubeus: "…Damn it, I just let myself get distracted by him, didn't I?"
<< Rubeus shoots Chibi-Usa! >>
<< Usagi : Tech > Protect : Chibi-Usa >>
<< Mamoru : Tech > Protect : Usagi >>
< Mamoru blocks with his cloak! >
Mamoru: "…By 'young girl,' I meant Chibi-Usa, you know."
Usagi: "I know."
Mamoru: "Because I'm not protecting you any more, I mean."
Usagi: "For sure."
Mamoru: "Not that you need much protecting, of course."
Usagi: "Of course."
<< Usagi : Cast > Halation : Rubeus >>
< Rubeus is hit! Rubeus is seriously hurt! >
Rubeus /GYAAAAARRRRRGH!
Usagi: "NOTHING PERSONAL!"
Rubeus: "Run! Retreat! They're too powerful—"
Rubeus /shakes fist. "—for now! Laugh while you can, monkey-girl!"
{Rubeus and the Four Sisters have left the scene.}
Usagi: "Yeah, and your little dog, too!"

AFTERMATH
First, a pause to consider the familiar skyscraper stacks of this Tokyo, as they shine incandescent and fluorescent in the summer evening.

In what's left of the construction site, the Sailors—and Tuxedo Mask—gather around Chibi-Usa.

Usagi: "Chibi-Usa, I ask you, please, tell us the truth. I heard them say both they and you are from the Future, and I heard you say your Mom was captured by them… but, well, there's so much we don't know, so many questions—"
Chibi-Usa /sobs and hugs Usagi. "PLEASE SAVE MY MOM! Puu said Sailor Moon and her sailor warriors could help me! Please save my Mommy! Please!"
Usagi "—but I suppose questions can wait a moment, kiddo." /hugs back.

THE DARK MOON, PRESUMABLY
Which looks far too snazzy to be just a run-of-the-mill trans-Neptunian dwarf planet.

Glass towers and domes in curved and twisted shapes glimmer above a smooth reflective plain (glass or water?), that is itself divided by elevated roadways. But this great city is nonetheless dwarfed by mesas of ice that stand in back of it, and high above the stars shine coldly.

Wiseman /muttering to self, gollum. "The most beautiful of flowers dies as time passes. Proud they may be in their hoarded glory, but even Crystal Tokyo can fall. It will fall. The City, the Rabbit, and Her."

And he glares at the image of Chibi-Usa's mother, held imprisoned, asleep?, in a magical stasis: An elegant woman in the prime of life. She wears a dress of purest white, folded to evoke angelic wings, and also a mithril crown. Her fair is long, blonde, and tied in odango twintails… a hairstyle more than familiar, for her face is also the spitting image of Usagi.

DUN DUN DUN!

DENOUEMENT
Usagi: "You ever get that feeling? Like someone's dancing on your grave while talking about you behind your back?"

JohnBiles

Validated User
It's a great episode. It would be greater with more budget. But I like having a giant brawl, even if it's basically inconclusive.

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
The season recovers quite a bit of momentum with this episode. It was voted one of the top ten anime episodes of the year by readers of Animage magazine for a reason. It's got a great battle scene, some confirmations of things that viewers had pretty much figured out weeks earlier, and introduces a new mystery or two.

The dub featured an original song, performed by Stan Bush for the fight scene. And it's quite good. She's Got The Power. (Speaking of music, no replacement battle theme in the Shadowjack version of events? Someone's slacking! :D)

FYI: Episode 71 introduces a new Opening Sequence, one that spoils a plot revelation for episode 75. Well, the episode title and preview for 75 blows that one away too, but if you want to go for 100% spoiler aversion, that's something you should keep in mind.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: #68: Protect Chibi-Usa! Clash of the Ten Warriors.

Ah, finally this episode. The malediction is broken !

Wiseman: (via holoprojection) "Phew, good, that dramatic voice is a real pain in the tuckus to keep."
Wait, Wiseman as a genre-savvy snarker ? This feels so wrong...

And still, this change can only improve what's to come. I'm trying to imagine Wiseman cracking jokes in some of his future scenes, and, just, wow.

On this day, the skies—as always, these days—are black with crystalline warships and aerials mines.
There are at least dozens of UFOs similar to Rubeus's !

Which suggests that the Black Moon are very limited in their time-travel resources, as they can only afford the one ship sent to the past.

Luna: "Ahem! Hem. Excuse me. What I meant to say—"
Usagi: "—is that we should go look for her before she gets into trouble and gets scared and inadvertantly brings the alien hordes down upon us again."
And again. And again. And again...

Seriously, this is already the third time this happens, and we're not even 10 episodes in. Every single time Chibi-Usa uses that key (which doesn't work anyway), it brings the baddies down on her trail.

She's yet to get the hint, unfortunately.

While this is still plausible (she's a kid, after all), it's kinda starting to grate a bit, and I can understand where some of her hatedom comes from.

I blame the series's pacing. A couple of such incidents would have been perfectly bearable, but there's no excuse for writing so many episodes relying on that plot. (Did we really need both #64 and #68, for example ?) If you want to pad things out, do more episodes with the Crystal points, that's their whole reason for being.

Rubeus: "Run! Retreat! They're too powerful—"
So, here we have proof that, in a straight fight, the Sailor Team + Tuxedo Mask can totally take the four Phantom Sisters + Rubeus, even with the handicap of having to protect Chibi-Usa.

Er, that's really not helping this Black Moon Clan squad's credibility, is it ?

That's what grates me about this otherwise very well done episode : it's empty. It's a stunt : "Everyone fights !" But strictly speaking, it doesn't change anything. It's pointless. It's a very well crafted exercise in restoring momentum... which isn't followed through. At all.

Does this power display achieve anything for the Black Moon Clan ? Nope, they return empty-handed.

Do our heroines learn anything that'll help them start to put the baddies on the defensive ?
Usagi "—but I suppose questions can wait a moment, kiddo." /hugs back.
Well, don't get your hopes up...

THE DARK MOON, PRESUMABLY
Which looks far too snazzy to be just a run-of-the-mill trans-Neptunian dwarf planet.

Eh, this was before Pluto got demoted, wasn't it ?

Anyway, I'm not sure about the anime, but the manga gives a full explanation on how this 10th planet could exist. It's been thought through, so don't worry about it.

Next episode : More running in circles. But it's a lot less entertaining.

Chaotic Confused

Validated User

Wiseman has such dainty hands for a crazed old wizard.

The future must have really good moisturiser.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Eh, this was before Pluto got demoted, wasn't it ?
i recall when Sedna was first in the news - there was Sailor Sedna fanart on the net within days :)

Kreuzritter

Validated User
and yeah. that's why the Dark Omen doesn't get a name in the series. its just one of the Black Moon's uncounted hordes

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The dub featured an original song, performed by Stan Bush for the fight scene. And it's quite good. She's Got The Power. (Speaking of music, no replacement battle theme in the Shadowjack version of events? Someone's slacking! :D)
Guilty. I almost suggested cueing up one of the Bubblegum Crisis songs, since it's that kind of a sequence ("Usagi dives off the top of the building, transforms in mid-air, flies into battle…"), but it was late and couldn't make the words come. I figured "published is better than pretty, tonight."

i recall when Sedna was first in the news - there was Sailor Sedna fanart on the net within days :)
I was figuring. :D

I didn't make up a name for Planet 10 yet since I suspect it will get a name eventually, and also because I don't want to piss off the Black Lectroids again.

and yeah. that's why the Dark Omen doesn't get a name in the series. its just one of the Black Moon's uncounted hordes
Dude, they don't even name or number their ships? Weak. :p

"Crimson Rubeus, Commander of Do You Have An Appointment? DDX-6661. What up?"

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I didn't make up a name for Planet 10 yet since I suspect it will get a name eventually, and also because I don't want to piss off the Black Lectroids again.
I could have sworn that the planet's name was casually mentioned once in this episode, but I just re-checked all the dialogue and it's not there. Maybe next episode ?

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
Remember me mentioning Toei shopping the series around some?

ICV2 - Toei Shopping 'Sailor Moon' Anime
All 200 Episodes Available at MIPTV

Going to quote most of it, because the actual image they showed with the article is spoilery as hell, showing a bunch of characters he hasnt seen yet (and at least one that gets a change later).

Toei Animation is offering 200 refurbished episodes of the Sailor Moon Magical Girl anime at the MIPTV market that will be held next week in Cannes. MIPTV is a worldwide content market at which producers such as Toei offer their wares to representatives of TV networks and syndicators of electronic entertainment from more than 100 countries...

The 200 episodes of Sailor Moon would presumably include all the Sailor Moon TV anime series including the original series, Sailor Moon R, Sailor Moon S, Sailor Moon Super S, and Sailor Moon Stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom