• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fireballed Mage

Validated User
One thing about the side story there.

Kenji and Luna conversing with each other.

Hmmmmmm.....
After a certain point doing taxes, you're in the zone. Not the good zone where everything falls into place, but that other zone where talking pink mountains of cheese burgers offer you suggestions and you give their advice the serious consideration it deserves. So a talking Luna probably doesn't phase him that much.

Shadowjack: you are now far past epic and starting to lap legendary.

And another episode with Maroru's unhealthy fixation with getting stabbed. At least this time, as you said, he only took half damage.

Wraithstrike

Game Creator
Validated User
Your awesomeness has been noted by the gods of awesomeness, Shadowjack. They want to know how many rooms you want in your personal temple.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: #69: Awaken, Sleeping Beauty! Mamoru's Distress.

Thank you for the kind words; I always get stage fright when posting a big one, so a little applause helps.

No that I think about it, I do find your Chibi-Usa off-model. Here's her design sheet (spoiler-free, hit enter on the location bar to pass the referrer protection) : the problem seems to be with the hair, which is too long and straight instead of curly and going sideways. She looks too much like a miniature Usagi, which while a cute idea doesn't really work.
I've been fighting with her character design—as you know, this is the first appearance in these sketches.

The last child characters I did much work on were Hansel and Gretel for my languishing Black Lagoon parody—where, oddly, they look a little like Gerald McBoingBoing. Chibi-Usa's got a little more edge and a little more fluff than McBoingBoing, and I'm still trying to get it down.

This is the Crown Fruit Parlor, which is apparently just on top of the Crown Game Center where Motoki works. According to the manga, Motoki and Unazuki's parents own both.

Over time, the Crown Fruit Parlor will become as much (if not more) of a regular hangout for the Sailor gang as the Crown Game Center (though, of course, in the anime they're both easily eclipsed by Hikawa Shrine for that role.)
Due to the way the backgrounds have been drawn, I had no idea the Crown Game Center even had a second floor! Or a second floor that wasn't, say, offices.

It's a big restaurant, bigger, it looks like, than the video game parlor—probably more business. They must have the offices and stuff downstairs out back of the parlor. (I kind of liked the plot thread from the Sailor V manga that before Minako started going there, it was mainly a creepy video game otaku hangout. Mina's intentional ignorance of that fact opened the place up to a more general audience.)

Which is par for the course in R, and the second episode on a row. See what I meant when I stated that this plot device was overused ?
Fortunately, they waste no time on it. She goes out, boom, trouble. About 30 seconds turn-around.

When all the characters are proclaiming how stupid and misguided this whole subplot is, it might be time for the writers to take the hint. It's not tragic, just irritating.
I've got a half-sketch of Rei taking Mamoru to task, which may make it into the recap. And, yeah, he's being a dork.

…Though if this is his first serious relationship, can we forgive him for utter cluelessness?

…Naaah, not really. I should think that one of the primary benefits of dating another superhero is that you can help rescue each other.

Serious Analysis Mode, briefly: if I had to pick one theme for this season, it's been relationship building. Once you're in the relationship, there's more to go, or it can fall apart. Ali and En, Usagi and Mamoru, Usagi and Chibi-Usa, Mako and Mina getting over their respective pining, and Petz not getting over hers. (Which is one reason why I've been sneaking in Mako/Ami on the side; it suits the themes.)

Actually, I would recommend another year of hard training (or more, if he wishes) and getting a really good translator to ensure that the jokes carry over.
Indeed. My actual production skills are very shakey. I'm confident in my writing now, willing to try to draw just about anything not X-rated, and am fairly certain I can keep up a decent production pace, but I'm only beginning to conquer layout, lettering is still rough, and I'm still learning the balance in taking pencils to digital to get good quality.

What were the girls doing with all that paint?
They didn't tell me. I suspect it had something to do with tracking down the Dark Omen Team.

Wow, Kenji-papa doing his taxes is epic. (And your Ikuko-mama is disturbingly sexy.)
Good!

I've tried to show family resemblance whenever I draw those characters. (On the reasoning that Fate pulled strings to give Usagi the proper parents.) So Usagi got some of her mother's looks, and some of her father's attitude—and his eyes.

One thing about the side story there.

Kenji and Luna conversing with each other.

Hmmmmmm.....
He's either deep in the zone, or I'm riffing a joke I did waaaaay back where Luna offered to pay rent for staying in the house, and Mom and Dad didn't blink. I could take it either way.

I keep flipping between whether it's funnier to have people not bothered at all by the talking cat, or to have them scream in shock 'Talking cat! Talking cat!' (Or possibly 'You're a kitty!')

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You know, we could probably collect some of these and sell them at Comic Market in Japan. We'd need a Japanese circle to handle the logistics, but I suspect you'd get more than a few buyers.
I plan once I get my website running, I'll have a dojin corner off to the side. Freebie PDFs perhaps. (I feel uncomfortable taking money for someone else's characters, unless it's purely to cover printing costs…)

WrenTruesong

Avowed ShadowJack fangirl
Validated User
Re: Side Story: Mister Tsukino Does His Taxes and the Household Budget

Anyway, so, um, I, uh, drew this, over the last couple of weeks. :eek:

Finished a trifle later than anticipated, because it kind of ran away from me in the second act, requiring more pages than planned. But since you've been an indulgent audience, I didn't think you'd mind much…
Mind? HOw could we mind? This is brilliant--
And just what I needed. I had a really stressful meeting this morning; it went well but it ran me nearly out of spoons and I was feeling really low.

Then I saw the new episode, and this.
Two new spoons, definitely. Maybe three. :)
Thank you so much.

Wraithstrike

Game Creator
Validated User
That was fast. Bravo.

And it is pretty hard to do a tuxedo kamen rider joke. The only ones who come close are Shotaro in Double, and Tsukasa in Kiva's World. And neither of them come bearing +3 blessed throwing roses.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mind? HOw could we mind? This is brilliant--
And just what I needed. I had a really stressful meeting this morning; it went well but it ran me nearly out of spoons and I was feeling really low.

Then I saw the new episode, and this.
Two new spoons, definitely. Maybe three. :)
Thank you so much.
You're welcome, and thank you for a link to an interesting article. "Spoon theory." I like that.

EDIT: And as the question "How could we mind?" Let's put it this way (in anime-related terms): Much as I would like to be more like this guy—

—there is a part of me that has always been, and probably always will be, this guy—

—and that part of me is always at least half-convinced that I will say something wrong and you will all hate me forever.

I'm a lot better at shutting him up than I used to be, but every now and then he leaks out. Hence stage fright. ;)

behold, stats for Kamen scooter
Literally laughing out loud. You, my friend, have earned a cameo in a future write-up (your choice of random passerby or victim-of-the-week). :D

I wish I was that swift with my GURPS builds.

I'm in the middle of a Senshi template right now, actually, but got bogged down 'cause of work… and I haven't even statted any base attacks. Got a good start on it, though. (I'm quite proud of coming up with Detect: Magical Combat (Rare Subject, Long-Distance, Reflexive)—an inexpensive yet effective way to get them to show up when Sailor Moon gets ambushed, but not when the villain was brainwashing victims the night before.) Compared to last time I took a shot at it, Usagi has definitely bought off a bunch of her old disadvantages, and improved her skills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom