• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Come to think of it, most of the genuine refresh scenarios did involve people who wanted to change. Minions had to be disintegrated—though most of them seem barely sentient, anyway ("Minion, minion! MINION! Minion!" *blam*) But the Seven Monsters Wizards From Hell, the Doom Tree, and now the Phantom Sisters—all desired change, but needed help to achieve it.

While Sailor Moon had to annihilate Beryl. Just too much hate to absolve. Doing just that probably hurt Sailor Moon as much or more then rebooting the entire universe.

Though in my rewrite, as you may recall, she does find Beryl's core of decency… 'cause I'm a nice guy.

Peter Svensson

Reads Too Many Comics
Validated User
It's iffy whether or not you could still call that Beryl. Metallia pretty much hollowed her out and used her as a shell as I see it.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Re: #71: For Friendship! Ami and Berthier Clash.

I dunno. If I ever play around with the premise, the artifacts are going to be Sufficiently Advanced tools of an even older civilization, and the Lost Utopia that the protagonists represent would be the result of when the tools were employed without understanding the science behind them.

-Albert
That's more or less the explanation we used in Sailor Moon Expanded, particularly for the Crystal.

Every world the prehuman magitech civilization terraformed (plus Earth, which was already up and running) had a stupendously powerful "Wonder" installed on it, for varying reasons, and each of them is run essentially by "filtering" the entire planet's worth of mana through them, which causes said mana to be slightly aspected. The Senshi (unlike the old-style Planetary Guardians, such as the Generals and Tuxy) use the Wonders as a power source.

Mercury had the Ancients' central computer, supercooled of course :), and the palmtop is a rare remote link to it. Venus, a jungle resort world, had a Golden Mirror that reflected the true nature of anyone who dared glance at it (apparently the Ancients considered this recreational, but humans aren't quite that awesome). Earth had the Gate of Mu, interplanetary teleportation transit hub and the reason humans were able to colonize the Ancients' leavings. Mars was home to the Great Fire, a potent divinatory tool. A Spire of unbelievable size (the diameter of Earth at its base, tapering to needle-thinness thousands of miles above) rose from one of many floating continents in Jupiter's atmosphere, absorbing the lightning from the storms of the Great Red Spot and using it to power the whole shebang...

And the Moon had, once, the God Chamber -- a psychotherapy tool that gave anyone within it the power to alter reality at whim, but only within it, and only until they exited.

In order to drive off alien slavers who'd conquered humanity, Serenity I absconded with the God Chamber and submerged it in the Fire -- turning it inside out and giving it the power to affect things in the real world. Thus was created the Silver Crystal, which she then used to drastically enhance the Guardians and make their planetary mana links hereditary, creating the first generation of Sailor Senshi...

Blazing Bat

Validated User

Queen Beryl would never even think of resurrecting a minion who failed, while that'd be close to Usagi's first thought ("Oh, no, Zoisite! Kunzite will be so sad! I gotta do something!") and so she gets those powers.
That made me think how it could possibly happen. One way: Queen Serenity's aim had been off a bit when she sent sent the fallen forward in time, and Usagi has been reborn as Beryl's daughter. Cue show about Beryl trying to educate her daughter in the proper ways to manage an evil kingdom, and Usagi just not getting it.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

That made me think how it could possibly happen. One way: Queen Serenity's aim had been off a bit when she sent sent the fallen forward in time, and Usagi has been reborn as Beryl's daughter. Cue show about Beryl trying to educate her daughter in the proper ways to manage an evil kingdom, and Usagi just not getting it.
:D And hijinks ensue.

It's interesting to consider the dance of reincarnation in this setting. I've taken some of Luna's comments in the first season to mean that Usagi is a different person than Serenity… although she is also the same person. (Is this contradictory or not? Mu.) So how would young, er, let's call her Morganite (pink beryl) be different-yet-the-same? A thing to ponder.

I do think there's also interesting ground in exploring the similarity-and-reflection between Beryl and Usagi. The villain is often a reflection of the hero, or vice versa, and we've got the dark hair vs. light hair visual trope already.

Young Beryl, the—whatever she was. Peasant maiden? Lady-in-waiting? Apprentice witch? And Usagi the schoolgirl. Both in love with the same guy. Both wishing they were a Princess so they could have him. But the key motivations. Beryl who will do anything to have him, or keep others from having him: selfishness. Usagi, who realizes the responsibility of being a princess, and would do anything to save him: selflessness. Beryl, born common, took a Queen's crown; Usagi/Serenity, born royal, wants to escape it.

Blazing Bat

Validated User

It's interesting to consider the dance of reincarnation in this setting. I've taken some of Luna's comments in the first season to mean that Usagi is a different person than Serenity… although she is also the same person. (Is this contradictory or not? Mu.) So how would young, er, let's call her Morganite (pink beryl) be different-yet-the-same? A thing to ponder.
Hmm, here are a few ideas.

[Beryl's throne room]
Morganite: *enthusiastic* "... and therefore, the best place to gather energy would be right here!" *points at map*
Beryl: *raises eyebrow* "An ice cream shop? Daughter..."

[A dark room stuffed full of arcane books and instruments]
Kunzite: *walks up and down, cape swishing as he lectures* "... and therefore, by using the rune of-"
*snoring noises, Morganite is sitting at the single school desk, her head resting on a thick thome as if it was a pillow*
Kunzite: *facepalms* "That girl..."

[On a mission]
Sailor Mars: "Fire Soul!"
Youma: "Uh oh!"
Morganite: *daring last minute save*
Youma: *is tackled to the ground as the fireball flashes past above them*
Morganite: "Let's get out of here!"

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

[On a mission]
Sailor Mars: "Fire Soul!"
Youma: "Uh oh!"
Morganite: *daring last minute save*
Youma: *is tackled to the ground as the fireball flashes past above them*
Morganite: "Let's get out of here!"
…Dramatic pause before she exits, eyes lock with Mars across the distance.

Morganite blushes, then vanishes.

Mars: ?!

JohnBiles

Validated User

(I have an ongoing fanfic where Beryl has brainwashed Ranma to think he (in girl form) is Beryl's daughter...)

This is a really great idea. I'd see it ending with Metallia finally demanding Beryl sacrifice her daughter and she turns on Metallia and they fight Metallia together (probably leading to Beryl dying).

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think Morganite is now poised to join Beryl-as-Naru's-Mom in the pantheon of awesome ideas inspired by this thread.

Somehow I'm not surprised. These recaps are made of such concentrated awesome it has to bleed out somewhere.

Aaron Peori

Retired User

(I have an ongoing fanfic where Beryl has brainwashed Ranma to think he (in girl form) is Beryl's daughter...)

This is a really great idea. I'd see it ending with Metallia finally demanding Beryl sacrifice her daughter and she turns on Metallia and they fight Metallia together (probably leading to Beryl dying).
Link?

-------------
Epsilon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom