• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Re: #71: For Friendship! Ami and Berthier Clash.

Hmm, here are a few ideas.

[Beryl's throne room]
Morganite: *enthusiastic* "... and therefore, the best place to gather energy would be right here!" *points at map*
Beryl: *raises eyebrow* "An ice cream shop? Daughter..."

[A dark room stuffed full of arcane books and instruments]
Kunzite: *walks up and down, cape swishing as he lectures* "... and therefore, by using the rune of-"
*snoring noises, Morganite is sitting at the single school desk, her head resting on a thick thome as if it was a pillow*
Kunzite: *facepalms* "That girl..."

[On a mission]
Sailor Mars: "Fire Soul!"
Youma: "Uh oh!"
Morganite: *daring last minute save*
Youma: *is tackled to the ground as the fireball flashes past above them*
Morganite: "Let's get out of here!"
I can totally see it.
...But I suspect "Morganite" would end up becoming a more energetic Fate Testarossa. :eek:

Knightsky

Making wizards funky again
Validated User

However, in Sailor Moon's case she literally is flushing the magical emo energy out and replacing it with good vibes.
In Classic Unisystem terms, she can actually replace a person's Taint with Essence (and if you know anything about Witchcraft or Armageddon, you know just how impressive a trick that is).

Cruton

Retired User

Young Beryl, the—whatever she was. Peasant maiden? Lady-in-waiting? Apprentice witch? And Usagi the schoolgirl. Both in love with the same guy. Both wishing they were a Princess so they could have him. But the key motivations. Beryl who will do anything to have him, or keep others from having him: selfishness. Usagi, who realizes the responsibility of being a princess, and would do anything to save him: selflessness. Beryl, born common, took a Queen's crown; Usagi/Serenity, born royal, wants to escape it.
I always preferred to read Beryl into the role of the evil possessive stepmother. She's the Judge Turpin to Endymon's Johanna Barker. She's spent her life clawing her way to the top by any and every mean's possible and now that the first wrinkles are showing, she's obsessed with the young, virile Endymon.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

This reminds me of a nasty cruel thought I'd had recently, to put a different variation on the Naru-is-Beryl's-daughter idea.

In this version: Naru now is just Naru Osaka, no relation. But why is Naru attacked all the time? Because Fate is stuttering.

You see, in that past time, Naru then was Beryl's daughter.

Beryl sacrificed her to a demon to achieve Metallia's power.

Which is horrible.

So now Fate keeps replaying an echo of that event, over and over and over…

I always preferred to read Beryl into the role of the evil possessive stepmother. She's the Judge Turpin to Endymon's Johanna Barker. She's spent her life clawing her way to the top by any and every mean's possible and now that the first wrinkles are showing, she's obsessed with the young, virile Endymon.
Another possibility.

anowack

RPGnet Member
Validated User

The whole Purification-As-Brainwashing idea is one of those things that can make me drop a fanfiction faster than anything. It was an interesting twist the first time I encountered it, but there's been so many (often crossover) fanfics that were primarily inspired by other fanfics, many of which I get the impression that they were written by people who had only watched a handful of episodes of Sailor Moon, that treat it like the only possible, obvious interpretation... bleh. But more on that, at a later point!

(This fanfic-building-on-fanfic until the original canon is a distant twinkle in one's eye is really kind of a fascinating phenomenon. See also, the strain of Ranma 1/2 fandom that would make you think that the original series was a tragedy, rather than a slapstick comedy. Or Nartuo was a romance!)

PS. Someone should write that Morganite fanfic. I'm almost tempted to re-purpose a suprisingly appropriate never-used fanfic intro I wrote many years ago to start it off, but I'm trying (and mainly failing) to transition into writing things that there's an infinitesimal, rather than zero, chance of making money off of. :D

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ranma… a tragedy?

Well, okay, the basic set up is fairly uncomfortable for a lot of the people involved, but tragic? Sheesh.

Ah, fandom. :D

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do do do, doin' some art today.

One thing I enjoy about drawing Usagi is her lack of reserve. Most of my characters, original ones, tend, like me, to be a little restrained. A quirk of the eyebrow. A hand gesture in conversation. Words rather than motion. Daubry, who almost never changes facial expression, is an extreme example.

So it's a fun change of pace to draw Usagi on a real tear, eyes and arms wide, pigtails flying…

On a related note, I suspect that half my reason for 'shipping together Ami and Makoto is that they simply make a visually-interesting couple on the page. They look well together.

Artists: we crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom