• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[IWIW] Sailor Moon R (thread 4 of a continuing series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
It manifested worst in '90s anime fandom, where the canon was often extremely difficult to get a hold of. Nowadays, of course, that particular problem has been nuked, but you still get writers who only know it through other fanfics.
You know, you could make a pretty good parallel here with the Touhou universe, which is almost completely fanon. I suspect most people following all the little cute flash videos dont even realise there's a game at the root of it all. What really gets me is how CONSISTANT this fanon stuff can be.

It makes me ponder if this is how mythologies get started. Are they both rooted in the same psychological niche?

Last edited:

ANT Pogo

Yuki Approved
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You know, you could make a pretty good parallel here with the Touhou universe, which is almost completely fanon. I suspect most people following all the little cute flash videos dont even realise there's a game at the root of it all. What really gets me is how CONSISTANT this fanon stuff can be.
It happens in the entirely-fan-created Genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya stuff, too. I mean, Haruhi fans will argue endlessly about minor plot details in the original canon novels and anime, or about a Certain Spoilery Plot Characteristic of the two leads.

But everyone agrees on what Kyonko looks like. It's almost spooky, really, like some weird fanon-version of a Stand Alone Complex.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User

It makes me ponder if this is how mythologies get started. Are they both rooted in the same psychological niche?
I am almost certain of that. Read up some time on the ins and outs of myth cycles, and then think about the last superhero comics discussion you overheard or participated in.

Real-world example that is appropriately familiar: the Ancient Greek character Endymion.

He was a shepherd. Or a hunter. Or a king. Or an astronomer. Or multiple of these.

He was from Aeolis. Or Elis. Or Caria. Or multiple of these.

Some say he was the first human to make observations of the movements of the Moon.

What everyone agrees on: He was the lover of Selene; Zeus placed him in an eternal sleep so she could always look on his beauty; Endymion and Selene's kids were the Menae, the phases of the Moon. (When you cross cultures, he wasn't the lover of chaste Artemis, but he was the lover of Diana.)

The details? No one agrees on. Some say she only wanted him to be forever young; others say she asked for the sleep specifically; some say he was the one who asked for the endless sleep. And there are various versions of things he did in life, and what he represents (sleep? sunset? astronomy?).

Sounds an awful lot like Marvel or DC continuity to me… Batman is always Batman, but which Batman depends on who's writing and editing this issue.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just checking here: Her brilliant plan was buying an ice cream cone, and possibly sharing it with the youma?

…Me likee. :D

I love how the fight just goes to the cartoon dust cloud, while Morganite in her track suit Dark Uniform books it. And now Mercury is going to feel guilty. ("I'm sorry, you're just too pathetic to kill. I'll let you go now—" "No! No! You really should! Mom will kill me if you don't actually tr— Wait a minute.")

She and Tuxedo Mask should be a fun mix.

I HAVE NAMED A MEME. Is this how mad scientists feel? MUAHAHAHAHA.

EDIT: Oh, and if we're sharing recent sketches, I was doing some color practice the other day, and here's—MY GOD, what is that creepy animated banner ad on top of Photobucket today?! Oh, they're shoes, Jesus, I thought it some killer plant trying to eat my cursor.

Er, anyway.

Spoiler: Show

Improvement seems so slow at times[/fret], but that's what practice is for.

Last edited:

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This reminds me of one of the first Sailor Moon fanfics I read, a decade or so ago. It was basically "what if the series was set in French-speaking Canada ?"

One of the major deviations from the original was that we had a "Morganite" situation : Canadian!Usagi was strangely missing, while there was now a female among the Generals...

The interesting thing was that the Sailor Team had completely different dynamics, with Canadian!Ami and Canadian!Makoto as the heart of the group. By the time "Morganite" was cured, they were such a tight-knit group that Canadian!Usagi was pretty much the outsider of the group.

(I have no clue whether the thing is still online. I never actually read the end, as it started going in a completely original direction by the end of season 3, and season 6 started involving third-generation Sailors, at which point I kinda lost interest...)

Last edited:

Shay Guy

Validated User
Improvement seems so slow at times[/fret], but that's what practice is for.
You at least have had the guts to face what you're bad at and thereby become not-bad. I, for some reason, have an irrational fear of producing crap, meaning that I might never get those proverbial hundred thousand bad drawings (or hundred bad stories, or whatever) out of me.

Maladaptive perfectionism sucks.

JohnBiles

Validated User
Blazing Bat, really great set of cartoons. I love how embarrassed Mercury looks in the last one.

Shadowjack, nice Mercury and Ami, though I'm not so sure Mercury could remain standing with her body arced like that.

Badgerish

of or relating to badgers
Validated User
Re: #71: For Friendship! Ami and Berthier Clash.

Shadowjack said:
((Sailor Moon and Sailor Jupiter burst in, dramatically!))

Usagi: "I AM THE TERR—"
Ami: "Does he look like a bitch?!"
Berthier /bleeding. "No!"
Ami is.... beyond love.

Shadowjack! You should write screenplays or something, your gift should be shared with more people!

Also, though the magic of papa Google I have tracked down Berthier's outfit from this ep. wow (and that is a distracting hat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom